Model Cars Magazine Forum

Unraveling The Snake Pit

I hope this is cool with the Moderators! It shouldn't be a problem, since the publication it's from is the long, long defunct Car Model Magazine. For those of you interested in building Revell's Hawaiian FC, these resources should help you, tremendously. I used to have it available through a website, but, since it's no longer online, I thought I'd share it, here. Hope some of you can use it! Obviously, some of this stuff applies to dragsters and altereds, as well. There is obviously the color scan, but, also beneath that is the PDF file of Jim Keeler's entire article.

Hawaiiancopy.jpg

SnakePit.pdf

Edited by Straightliner59
  • Like 1

I still have the original magazine with these articles. Jim Keeler was a man ahead of his time His series of articles on building Dodge Fever 2 still amazes me every time I look at them. I learned to detail dragster and funny car engines from his articles. I use to amaze my friends with the skills I learned from those magazines. LOL

I have never had the opportunity to meet Mr, Keeler. I would love to ask him how he came up with the idea for Dodge Fever. What were his influences ,etc. I would really like to hear why he decided on a monocoque chassis . Back then ,as a 12 yr old ,I had no idea what a monocoque chassis was. It is interesting  that this was several years before Mickey Thompson or Barry Setzer tried it in the real world. Along with Jim Keeler, Hank Borger and Don Emmons greatly influenced my model building in those days. I was also amazed by the work of Richard Carroll, but I had no idea how he built the stuff he did. That guy was truly in a class by himself.

• 3 years later...
  • 3 years later...
5 hours ago, RancheroSteve said:

Excellent and very useful extensive reference! One small note: the text mentions an oil system schematic drawing, but I don't see it there. Maybe it never made it to publication due to space?

Here it is. It should be there, but, just in case:

Pit11-150.jpg

I remember that car when I used to purchase Hot Rod and Car Craft magazines in the 1960s, 1970s...

My favorites from that era were the Odd Couple rail - powered by a  tandem of a blown small block Chevy and blown Hemi and the Tijuana Taxi, a four door Maverick. 

Images are not mine, they are web finds.

Odd Couple.jpg

taxi_1[1].jpg

Edited by Kenmojr