Model Cars Magazine Forum

Another Modelhaus kit ripped by Pedro

I find all this very strange, Scale Reproductions did Eleanor from gone in 60 seconds and someone that is/was on this forum ripped it off was selling it as his own and everyone was raving how good his was. How do I know it was a rip off? I had bought one from this person then bought the Scale Reproductions one, both exactly the same just this person had removed Scale Reproductions name. So I'm guessing that it's ok to copy other people's products just as long as that person or business is not associated with this forum. I bought a resin 71 Scamp though someone here who got it from the caster in the US as the caster wouldn't sell to Aussie's because of recopying, well when I sold my collection off I never sold the Scamp so no one here would copy it, it sits in a box under my bed and I may just finish it one day, the Eleanor's are long gone. Moral of the story, if you don't want it recast, copy right it. 

x2

I guess I have to scratch my head as well on this. I met Don and Carol Holthaus back in 1988 in Toledo. They were a class act way back then. Their product was 11 on a scale of 1-10. But, they got their masters either from parts from promos or kits or from masters made or modified from promos or kits by Don or one of his contacts. And those master creators got much of their work from the same kit and promo makers. So where does the line get drawn? Do we say it was OK for those back then to have copied work made by the model companies, but it isn't OK for someone to do a copy of someone's work now? Don't get me wrong, I do NOT approve of someone copying someone else's work and passing it off as their own. But where do we decide that it is OK to use original work in the production of a master for use by someone like Modelhaus, but NOT OK to use Modelhaus's work, (or someone else's) as a basis for another casting, modified to fit another need and then sold? Now, if it is just straight copying work that is currently available, yeah, that is wrong, as it directly impacts the originator's ability to reap a return on their work. And copying Modelhaus work right now as Don and Carol are closing up shop CAN impact their ability to sell their company, but most likely NOT, as anyone with half of an eye for quality can recognize a low level copy of their great work. But if it is copying someone else's work that can not any longer be had, is THAT also looked down upon? Was it looked down upon for Don to copy promo bodies of cars from the 50's and 60's as they were no longer available?

This is a very tumultuous subject to be sure. But since people are making resins, even 100% scratch built ones, of products such as Ford, Mack, Chevrolet, GMC etc., are they paying a royalty to the 1:1 companies that own those trademarked names as the kit makers back then did, for every one they sell, be it a kit or a built finished model? It opens a larger area of conversation when you look at that, doesn't it? I do not know the answer to this. But, I will say that if one is worried about their product being bootlegged, then they should endeavor to make a superior product that has zero chance of being overtaken by a lesser quality bootleg copy. I do believe Don had that covered well, as no one has been able to do the work that he did, and his quality stood head and shoulders above all others in his area of expertise. I suggest that others strive to achieve the same levels, and therby ensure that THEIR product is the best. And I also hope that those who are looking to buy resin buy from those who achieve those levels and ignore the gutter quality makers and that alone will ensure their demise.

I don't do resin, BUT if I did and I wanted a 67 wagon and it was a nice casting, who gives a rats back side who mastered it? DDAAMMNN!!!

Sitting down again:rolleyes:

bingo,modes to matter who makes it or how, if one wants it bad enough they'll buy it from anyone!!!!

I bought a Scale Reproductions Eleanor kit last year. I must say it is the nicest thing I have ever seen. I paid quite a bit but the white metal and photo etch make it a sure winner to me. I know Glen Wann had also made an Eleanor body. I had already signed up at SR when he debuted his body. I got mine a couple of months after, since I was Gung Ho about the totality of their offering. I've gone over it often since it sits in line behind a great many projects and its quality is absolutely first rate IMO.

I've also heard good things about Greg's offering. Are there differences I should be aware of? I really want it to stand out in the crowd.

I'm sure Moldehaus could do the same, but being retired, it's not affecting their revenue anymore, so it would just come down to whether or not they wanted to spend the time to pursue it. With no revenue to protect, nothing to gain from it, they would just be throwing money away. It's sad, but that's just what it is. 

You are right though, the best way to support them is to not buy the knockoffs. 

There's no money for a lawyer get, no deep pockets, so it's not worth their while to sue. Like trademarks, if you abandon them somebody else will use them. I understand the sentiments but practically speaking nothing will be done. Clearly the Holthaus family wants to quit. They would have to keep working at it to protect it; not in their plans

I will say only one thing. With all the complaints from Paul and all the discussions about this so called Pedro and him copying stuff, this is the best type of free advertising Pedro will get.  I bet he has people looking/criticizing his work and even if a small,percentage of people buy, he's surely selling every piece he puts out. Paul on the other hand, may have stuck his foot in his mouth so bad, that he's been deleting his posts after only what I can assume, has been regret.

Maybe Paul knows Pedro after all...... hmmmm....

• Xingu locked this topic