Model Cars Magazine Forum

AMT 64/65 Ford Mustang glue bomb resto

Mr Stock

About 2 years ago I got a big box of old 60s built up glue bomb,  amongst them was this original 1964/5 AMT Ford Mustang convertible. Now don't let the before photos trick you this thing was a bit of a wreck, it had custom parts glued all over it, paint about an inch thick and the parts were glued in with about 4 tubes of glue !.

But I like a challenge so I set about stripping it down to see what I could work with, I purchased a cheap 66 Hardtop kit for parts. I had to cut out and replace the rear panel as the custom one was used, I modified the 66 seats to make them look a bit more like the 65 (not exact I know) again custom seats were used originally, the dash needed repairing as it had some weird custom single blade steering set up used. I also repaired as best as I could the windshield frame as the original was shot and broke in pieces trying to remove the original glass.

I'll tell you now several times this thing nearly ended up in the bin! , but I could see it had slight potential. So after 6 months of work it's finally finished, I've painted it black with a rattle can and redone the interior in red/black, a very smart combination I think. 

I hope you like it, there is a post in the "general" section on why people restore glue bombs .....I just love to try and rescue these older rare models, I could never afford a mint untouched kit, and this one is far from perfect but I think it looks a lot better than it did !. 

Before photos2016-03-06_22.36.56.thumb.jpg.f61e7a54a12016-03-06_22.36.21.thumb.jpg.5e06e4ea15Screenshot_20170410-194517.thumb.png.422

Very, very nice indeed! I hereby proclaim you an official member of the Glue Bomb Saviors, a club I just this minute invented! B)

Ha ha ! Snake that is actually a pretty cool name for a group, for all us mad guys who love to rescue these old wrecks !