Forum will be Offline for Server Maintenance ×
Model Cars Magazine Forum

Beating a Dead Horse

I realize there are money flow issues, health issues, and probably other issues unknown to the subscription base.  That being said, we were told the magazine would be going to a six time per year rather than nine.  Just kind of wondering when this change is going to take place, it has been a while since my last issue.  Are we going to be getting an issue every two months twice a year?  Not trying to start anything, just would like to have another magazine sometime this year. 

Oh man, again! Besides providing this forum and web site, when a magazine does get out in my opinion its about equivalent to 3 issues of Scale Auto at least for things I find interesting. Even if they barely do anything with cars anymore I still get Fine Scale over Scale Auto for providing modeling information. 

Same thing happened years ago to me, i bought a 1 yr sub to the new Autographics mag, first yr was fine, so I subscribed for 3 more yrs., got the first 2 (6 a yr), then never got another one. Called the publisher and its like oh, u didnt get the memo, they folded up! Asked about my refund, they tell me they don't do refunds! (and just like MCM it was an very good mag, I miss it) I don't sub to anything now, but in fairness to Gregg, this is the way all mags and catalogs seem to headed, i believe, what with the rising cost of everything and more and more going online, you will not see paper mags for much longer I honestly would not want Gregg"s nightmare with this! But i still like the swooshing sound of pages turning though!

Edited by signguy2108

I don't think all magazines are done.

I subscribe to Rodders Journal and find it always on time in my mail box safely packaged. Gues you get what you pay for.

I also buy Hot Rod Delux  at the grocery store, availability is a really nice feature.

Get what u pay for? Autographics was one of THE best custom paint and accessories mags put out, along with AutoArt mag (and one of the best kept secrets in the business!) i' m not saying ur going to see it happen overnite, but its already getting hard to find printed catalogs, and some of ur trucking and body shop trade mags have already went to online only. Personally, i hope there is always printed mags, but there are things going on now we never thought would happen! our local wm keeps a huge selection of hot rod, pickup, and diesel mags each month thanks to a few people telling the news agency what we want, everything else i can find online.

Just my opinion But If I paid for 6 issues a year. And I assume that means all 6 within a 12 month span beginning from the start date of subscription,,,. I except said issues.

I seem to remember reading a while back capitol was needed to continue, basically telling me money from new subscribers was going to pay for old back ordered  issues.

Sorry, and I mean no ill towards the owner, but that's a recipe for disaster from the word go.

The bigger problem with an erratic print schedule is that it makes it a lot harder to attract advertisers.  Subscriptions do not pay the bills for print magazines. Advertising pays the bills. That's why the larger magazines have such cheap subscription rates. More readers translate into higher ad rates. Most advertizers expect to have there ad publihed in a certain time frame.

The bigger problem with an erratic print schedule is that it makes it a lot harder to attract advertisers.  Subscriptions do not pay the bills for print magazines. Advertising pays the bills. That's why the larger magazines have such cheap subscription rates. More readers translate into higher ad rates. Most advertizers expect to have there ad publihed in a certain time frame.

What you say about advertising pays the bills is very true, especially when some magazines can offer a subscription for only $1 an issue. That's dirt cheap and the advertisers want YOU to look at their ads.