Model Cars Magazine Forum

Another heavy haul

• 3 weeks later...

Not trying to be smart, or political but I wonder if there is some kind of government regulation that requires it to be delivered to job site this way. I too thought just drive it. I mean its an extremely wide load yes, but it is wider with the trailer. Curious;

They probably could drive it to the destination by itself BUT there are both weight and axleload limitations for most roads.
By driving it on the road they could easily destroy the surface and any pipes, wires that are under it.
Those limits are also the reason why heavy haul trailers have so many tires, that is to spread out the weight more over the surface and reducing the axleload.

I couldn't imagine the shock after a few hours of staring at the broken yellow line, then just looking back and seeing this behemoth in my rear view mirror.  I have experienced that shock a couple of times while hauling a car on a trailer behind my pick-up. 

They probably could drive it to the destination by itself BUT there are both weight and axleload limitations for most roads.
By driving it on the road they could easily destroy the surface and any pipes, wires that are under it.
Those limits are also the reason why heavy haul trailers have so many tires, that is to spread out the weight more over the surface and reducing the axleload.

Yes that's the main reason.
It even looks like they are on a bridge or overpass of some sort and it would most likely colapse...or at least be damaged...under the high axleloads of the mining truck.
The weight on these mining trucks empty are in the 100-280 tonnes range depending on model...that's 50-140 tonnes per axle and that wouldn't be good for any road or bridge.