Forum will be Offline for Server Maintenance ×
Model Cars Magazine Forum

Porsche 993 Carrera

iamsuperdan

Well this kit has been an incredibly long WIP.

I bought this kit back in the mid-90s when I was still working for Porsche. It was to be one of the kits that got me back into building. So I started it, then promptly stopped working on it. For whatever reason. And now I'm going to finish it.

Back when it was new, I decided purple was the colour of choice. And I decided to spray that right onto the body, no prep, no primer, big mistake. 

So now I've done the purple bath, properly prepped the body, primed it using Tamiya white primer, then sprayed Tamiya Gun Metal. Needs some polishing, but I like how the colour turned out.

Interior is now a semi-gloss black, with Model Master Dark Crimson. I think it's a pretty close approximation to Porsche's Oxblood Red.

Over the years, the kit's wheels and seats vanished. 

Thanks to Steve (Intmd8r) I have a set of wheels and tires that could be interesting on this one, going to require some suspension tweaking, but it should look cool when done.

I have a set of seats coming from Clearly Scale, so those will look pretty good once in.

Not going too nuts with detailing on this one. Just want to finally finish it and have a good looking curbside kit to put on the shelf.

20111120 - 001 - box kit 681.JPG

20111120 - 004 - body.JPG

20170508 - 001 - ready for paint.jpg

20170524 - 001 - painted.jpg

20170524 - 002 - painted.jpg

20170716 - 002 - back seat.jpg

20170716 - 006 - interior pieces.jpg

Lots of mold lines on this one too. Mold lines I didn't bother with 20 years ago. So those are all sanded smooth now.

Will be getting some flocking down on the interior. Won't be able to see much when it's done, but it looks pretty plain as it is, so I think a little detail is good.

im curious to see how your tweaking the suspension. I just got back into this hobby and want to do things right and am also in almost exactly the same boat with a Tamiya 993 tear down. I have two projects that im stuck on cuz I cant figure out how to lower them :unsure: 

Would you mind posting the Testors/MM part number for Dark Crimson?  I didn't see a listing for it, and from what I see of yours, it'd make a great interior color. 

I got the name wrong, but this is the stuff! I really like it as an interior colour, will be using it again for sure.

IMG_20170720_0630594.jpg

IMG_20170720_0631043.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Porsche's look Awesome in silvers and charcoal colors!, you are doing a superb job on this build!!     -what I like to do while I build is to use a magnifying devise to look over my parts when I "think" they are done, because you are right, the camera picks up EVERYTHING;)

That'll look awesome when it's done!

I spy a bottle of the trooper lurking in the background as well! Nice choice :)

I'm not typically a beer guy, but Trooper is fantastic!

So in looking at this kit more, it looks like it will be curbside, as there's some engine parts missing too. I could probably mock something up, but I think I'll focus on making this a good looking curbside.