Model Cars Magazine Forum

Revell Hot Rod Mustang Street Machine-Engine Build Up-07/23

mustang1989

Ok folks. I've got my next automotive build lined up after the "The Camaro Restoration Project" I've been working on for the last 7 months. I've been wanting to do a 460 Big Block Ford powered Fox Body Mustang for a while now. Initially I wanted to do the 1990 Model LX but now that I've acquired an older Fox Bodied car that just looked too cool to pass up I think I'll go with this one. I've already got the wheels and tires to make all this happen so here's where we're at:

Kit%20Boxing_zpsmuqjjsp1.jpg

and I've got a Big Block Ford Resin kit (a 572 cid engine but I'll be labeling it as a "460" cid)

s-l1600.jpg

It's already got an automatic transmission behind it so that's a plus. I didn't like the carburetor that was on top of it so we'll go with an 800cfm double pumper carburetor for the fuel induction side of things (shown below)

004_zpstxmw6e0k.jpg

I've got a set of obnoxious decals for the rear window that'll be in white for this build

il_fullxfull.518751623_f1vo.jpg

Mock ups: (large Goodyear lettering will be removed from the rear tires. Just looks too ridiculous the way it is and will be tucking the rear tires a tad bit more inward to keep from sticking out too far......don't wanna go too 80's on this you know.. ;) )

002_zpshx3eip3e.jpg

001_zpsg6n2jlqn.jpg

003_zpsoadomeu7.jpg

and the decals as laid out on the computer screen. Will be going with "GT460" on the lower rocker striping like the old GT350's and 500's used to be. 

Decal%20Sheet_zpsqihqk9j2.jpg

Edited by mustang1989

When I bought these wheels two years ago I had a guy by the name of Jim Littiken spin them up for me (they are aluminum) and I had 'em made up for my 1990 Mustang LX project. He sold his entire aluminum wheel business to a guy named AJ who I can no longer get a hold of. I would like a set of these in the 5 lug configuration for this project though. If anybody out there knows where I could get a set of these things with the correct offset for the rears (like what I have here) I'd appreciate it very much.

Thanks Terry and JC!

Going to shake things up a bit in the order that I do things as I'm going to build the engine first this time. I've been holding off on that part of the build until a later stage with the last few builds  in order to get all the theory right but this time I've still got a couple of items to pick up with one of those being another set of aluminum wheels with five lugs instead of four. The four luggers were supposed to be used on my 1990 LX 5.0 Mustang build. I'll be having the same offset for the rear wheels and will be using the 15x3-1/2" wheels up front and all. I've gotta make the switch due to the fact that I just don't know of many four lug rear axles holding up to a 460. (yeah I know, you'd think I was building a real car or something!! lol). 

One of these days I hope to be building a 1:1 scale 460 powered Fox Body. I've seen whats involved and it aint that bad. Stock hood'll close right over one .....and that's no lie!  ;) 

The layout of the box stock kit which I forgot to post in the intro to this thread.

Mustang%20Shots%20001_zpswd66bmjb.jpg

As usual I'm going to TRY to keep this thing fairly simple but you know how that goes.

As for the resin engine. I'm already kind of niffed at it so far. There was no oil pan in the package!!!  icon_sAng_rant_zps60eb0ce9.gif  That right there tiks me off because I PAYED for a complete motor. I'm over it as I had one in the stash and can work through it but dangit man! Gimme what I pay for. I mean..........c'mon!!  Secondly look at the photo below:

s-l1600.jpg

The cylinder heads were installed upside down and this is on the advertised picture. See how that intake manifold fits snuggly against the heads on both sides and the engine block at the front of the intake manifold? Yeah, well when the heads are installed CORRECTLY, meaning turned the freak over, 1.) the intake doesn't fit that well at all, and 2.) the cylinder heads are too wide for the engine block deck. facepalm_zpsgaclnqrj.gifGood Lord people!!! Makes you wanna do that "Three Stooges Slap" to a guy ya know? dope-slap_zpsczvt2ke8.gifThe solution? I cut a piece of black plastic styrene from Evergreen the perfect size of the intake manifold area and installed it on top and sanded the sides to increase the entire deck area to allow the cylinder heads to fit perfectly on the deck. 

Mustang%20Shots%20002_zps32265puh.jpg

The layout before everything gets test fitted in place:

Mustang%20Shots%20004_zpsilja5ivg.jpg

and the trial fit with everything lining up. Now I can proceed with removing the oil pan, stripping the chrome and black basing the entire assy. Here's how it's supposed to look folks.

Mustang%20Shots%20003_zpsmikbkogx.jpg

Mustang%20Shots%20005_zpsbhcuhugb.jpg

Edited by mustang1989

I've seen a couple of "385-Series" ( 429 and 460 ) swaps into mid-80's Mustangs , and it is a slick deal ! Everything fits under the bonnet like it was meant to be there ! 

As far as the 4-lugs versus 5-lugs : I never paid attention ! I was so intrigued by the big block that I'd neglected to check the wheels' bolts ! I can only imagine that the stock 8.8" rear was swapped for a 9" , and the resultant 5x4.5" retainers .

Too bad about that resin 385 . It appears to be a combo of AMT ( engine long block and C6 from the F-350 pickup)  , scratch built oil pan ( ostensibly , yours was missing )  , and the rocker covers from the Revell 1970 Torino GT . Not sure where the atomiser is from (?) .

Have fun with this !

Looks like a great project. Interesting thing about those revell fox bodies is they seem to have the capri style fenders and quarters. Another great source for the identical 429/460 engines is the revell torino kit.

mike

Edited by mk11

A friend of mine had a 460 in a 1988 Foxbody Mustang he raced in Super Gas for some years and it fitted well, the engine is in his Super Comp Dragster now.

I help him as a mechanic and I have one observation...the Ford engines have the oil pump at the front driven by the distributor so the oil pan needs a small sump at the front for the pump and a larger at the rear, the oil pan for this application looks like this and it's what we used in his car.

20620_part.jpg

Edited by Force

Do you happen to have an unassembled 90 LX model on hand by any chance? I'm curious to see if theres anyway to "swap" the front out?

i know the fenders are completely different and i don't have the skills to even try it...yet.

Since your actually working on one I had to ask... i like the way your going with this though and ill be following

Looks like a great project. Interesting thing about those revell fox bodies is they seem to have the capri style fenders and quarters. Another great source for the identical 429/460 engines is the revell torino kit.

mike

That's because Revell also offered Capri kits based off this same body shell.  It has the Capri IMSA style flared fenders and quarters (is that the best way to describe the Capri styling?), but also has the Mustang style flares around the wheel openings, so it's really incorrect for both, but probably easier to shave off the flares around the wheel openings and make correct Capri body contours.

I have an old Capri in my stash that I got for cheap back in the day, thinking about bashing it someday with the '90 Mustang drag kit.

Do you happen to have an unassembled 90 LX model on hand by any chance? I'm curious to see if theres anyway to "swap" the front out?

i know the fenders are completely different and i don't have the skills to even try it...yet.

Since your actually working on one I had to ask... i like the way your going with this though and ill be following

Thanks Roberto for the comments. I do have two 90 models in the stash but don't think the front ends will swap out. I'll have to look again. I'm looking at doing this same thing with a 90 model LX though.

That's because Revell also offered Capri kits based off this same body shell.  It has the Capri IMSA style flared fenders and quarters (is that the best way to describe the Capri styling?), but also has the Mustang style flares around the wheel openings, so it's really incorrect for both, but probably easier to shave off the flares around the wheel openings and make correct Capri body contours.

I have an old Capri in my stash that I got for cheap back in the day, thinking about bashing it someday with the '90 Mustang drag kit.

I saw one of those Capri kits over the weekend and wondered if this Mustang kit was a one shot wonder or not. Looks like..............not. lol

Joe, so glad you have another project on the bench!!!! I am tuned in!

Thanks Carl for the comments and tuning in. I've been down...........but definitely not out on this build. I had some issues with the engine block and had to get another one coming. Under warranty of course. ;)

• 2 weeks later...