Model Cars Magazine Forum

Re-chroming

I've heard a lot of good things about George Hernandez, and his company GT KustomKhrome. 

He can be contacted at his email addy:
tihggh01@hotmail.com

I've met George a number of times in person, and he's a REALLY great guy to deal with!

Another one is Chrometech, and they can be found here. Great to deal with as well!

I believe Little Motorcar does his own plating and Chrome Tech sends it out some where.  What about GT Kustom Chrome - does he plate or job it out?

They send it out, but the plater that they use supposedly used to do all of the plating for some of the kit manufacturers in years past.

He really knows what he's doing.

I have not had great results from Chrome Tech over the past few years.

Steve

I've used Chrome Tech for as long as I can remember. I just send the parts loose and they come back plated in 4-6 weeks. Can anyone enlighten me on the other two companies regarding turnaround time and how comparable their prices are? I've never wanted to mess with mounting the parts myself so I like the convenience of sending the parts loose.

I've used Chrome Tech for as long as I can remember. I just send the parts loose and they come back plated in 4-6 weeks. Can anyone enlighten me on the other two companies regarding turnaround time and how comparable their prices are? I've never wanted to mess with mounting the parts myself so I like the convenience of sending the parts loose.

Kustom Khrome does theirs the same way.

Just prep them & send them out.

Prices are about the same & quality is much better.

My experience with turn around time with Kustom Khrome has been much better than with Chrome Tech.

Closer to 3 weeks rather than 6.

Steve

Edited by StevenGuthmiller

• 7 months later...

Thank you all for the kind words about GT KustomKrome.  Yes I was given the business by Bob Dahl. I changed the name to GT KustomKrome so Bob wouldn't be bothered about it.

The prices Bob had are still in effect, so nothing has really changed from when he owned it, other than the address. I can plate resin, styrene plastic and so far they've all come out great. I've only had trouble with the weird plastic string used in 3D printing.

But, I'm working on that now too. So far I've been able to have GREAT results and a great relationship with my customers. I hope, if you decide to try my services, you'll be happy too.

Contact me at tihggh01@hotmail.com if your interested. Much thanks in advance, George 53.

3 hours ago, george 53 said:

Thank you all for the kind words about GT KustomKrome.  Yes I was given the business by Bob Dahl. I changed the name to GT KustomKrome so Bob wouldn't be bothered about it.

The prices Bob had are still in effect, so nothing has really changed from when he owned it, other than the address. I can plate resin, styrene plastic and so far they've all come out great. I've only had trouble with the weird plastic string used in 3D printing.

But, I'm working on that now too. So far I've been able to have GREAT results and a great relationship with my customers. I hope, if you decide to try my services, you'll be happy too.

Contact me at tihggh01@hotmail.com if your interested. Much thanks in advance, George 53.

Thanks for the contact info George!

I'm getting geared up to get a bunch more parts re-chromed for some vintage kits, & with a recent move, I wasn't sure anymore of how to contact you.

Hopefully you will hear from me soon. ;)

Steve

8 minutes ago, NOBLNG said:

Does anyone know of a place in Canada to get this done?

There was a guy in Canada that did some chrome work for me some time back.  I bought some kits on Ebay and he did chrome and some chrome colors too.  Can't remember his name though.  It might come to me later.

There is a place called   "The Little Motor Kar Company" that a guy across the valley uses.  My parts always come back absolutely gorgeous after they are cleaned up and plated.