Model Cars Magazine Forum

Racer's Wedge

So, I have one of the repops of the old Racer's Wedge on the drawing board.  The body is set up to run tandem axles, with single wheels at each corner.  How practical and realistic is this setup, and should this be coverted to a tandem axle dually?  The truck will also be towing the trailer seen in the picture.  Thanks in advance for your input.

wedge trailer.jpg

You could change it over if you wish. A dually would be common practice today.I like the Dodge truck idea.

If you go with the tandem you need to move the wheels to the outside it will look better. I was not referring to a dually tandem just singles. Only one being a drive axle.  

Edited by 1930fordpickup

I like the picture with the Ford truck for the wheelbase. the others seem to have a lot of rear overhang. 

Over here at the local circle track anything goes by the way. I have seen many school buses and vans cut down made into a hauler. 

Edited by 1930fordpickup

I haven't seen any 1:1 trucks with that type of two axle single wheel set up on the road, but that doesn't mean you can't have one in scale. I think I have some resin conversion pieces in my stash that replace the kit two wheel opening with a single opening. I will check and if memory serves me right, I may have an extra pair if you are interested John.

Purely as a load bearing question in the 1 to 1 world your single wheel/single axle would be in excess of the allowable load bearing capacity.  I've seen commercial trailers with single wheel axles but they were limited to high bulk/low weight loads.  The most common configuration I've seen your set up utilize is on travel trailers/boat trailers, neither are carrying particularly heavy loads.  But I'm just thinking of reality. B)

I don't know about the repop, but the original kit was designed to have dual wheels on the tandem axles. 

I built an original one two or three years ago, and had another one back when they were new.  It only has six wheels, two per axle front and rear.  The tandem axle was added to keep the built model from doing a static wheelstand when a car was placed on the ramp hauler. 

Purely as a load bearing question in the 1 to 1 world your single wheel/single axle would be in excess of the allowable load bearing capacity.  I've seen commercial trailers with single wheel axles but they were limited to high bulk/low weight loads.  The most common configuration I've seen your set up utilize is on travel trailers/boat trailers, neither are carrying particularly heavy loads.  But I'm just thinking of reality. B)

I was having this conversation with a guy at work tonight. There are really no wrong answer with 1 or 2 axles. I like the look of the dually myself.  We started to do the guy thing and figured car haulers do not have dual tires if they carry more than 2 cars they go to 3 axles normally. The truck will not have anymore tires out back , only 4 tires to carry the weight. if the spring rate is the same and tires have the same rating what would be wrong with 2 axles. As long as the bearings and axles have the correct rating should be ok. Or are we way off in our thinking?  Just talking weight rating.  

When I was a kid (the 70's) my father owner a concrete plant and several of his trucks were old REO's and they did indeed have dual driven rear axles with single split rim tires. I know that I'm not remembering this incorrectly as the remains of a few of these trucks still exist at the old homestead, so even if not common this configuration did exist.