Model Cars Magazine Forum

Cannonball 2018 Theme Poll

Jantrix

2018 Cannonball Run theme poll  

38 members have voted

1. 1. Pick the theme for next years Cannonball Run CBP.

• 4 cylinders ONLY
    • Inliners. 4, 6, 8, or 24. inline engines only
    • Pro-Touring
    • Oddballs
    • Vans - to include panel trucks but not sedan deliveries

Inline engines I have known...

Revell/Monogram BMW 635 3.5 Litre six.
35958676566_e0f664b930_z.jpgBMW 635 7 by Fred Maillardet, on Flickr

Tamiya 80 Series Land Cruiser 4.2 Litre Turbo Diesel six.
[img width=640]https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4265/35785568431_fae2688516_k.jpgTow Bee 013 by Fred Maillardet, on Flickr

Tamiya Nissan Skyline GTR 2000 2 Litre six
35917467685_c318c143af_z.jpgSkyline GTR2000 01 by Fred Maillardet, on Flickr

Fujimi Nissan S20 2 Litre six (same engine as above) - just look at that lovely silvering...
35467766580_7104ae0688_b.jpgDrift Rod 2.0 by Fred Maillardet, on Flickr

Monogram 1979 Mustang Cobra 2.3 Litre Turbo four
35036405424_46da1b2dd5_b.jpg2010-10-26 at 16-12-42 by Fred Maillardet, on Flickr

AMT 1960 Chevy Pick Up 235 or 261ci six (with resin SU carbie)
35706637132_a52d77f206_z.jpg59 Impala 009 by Fred Maillardet, on Flickr

Trumpeter 1963 Chevy Nova 194ci six
35875855265_d076d31c80_z.jpg63 Nova Convertible 001 by Fred Maillardet, on Flickr

AMT 1989 Ford Probe 2.2 Litre four (with resin turbo & intercooler)
35567501750_32e3a95bc1_z.jpg2009-12-20 at 16-01-20 by Fred Maillardet, on Flickr

AMT 1950 Chevy Belair 235ci six (with Fisher 12 valve head and fuel injection)
35646568785_4c73ba3561_z.jpgStoopid Woody 6 by Fred Maillardet, on Flickr

Fujimi Nissan L24 2.4 Litre six
35867606111_8d33cc527d_z.jpgBlack Widow 63 2 006 by Fred Maillardet, on Flickr

I've had more inline fours than anything else, only two V8's to my name, so I am really tempted to try another community build, which I fear of not finishing. I think doing Inline Engines will spark many to join in this Cannonball. The creative minds here will put on quite the show I believe!

I've done my 944 Porsches by taking off the turbos, but leaving them on and stuffed into something smaller may work ... :)

engine DSC 8515

and with BIGGER turbos!

I've done the Monogram '53 Chevy in-line, the AMT '37 Chevy and '51 Chevy in-lines. I recommend all of them. 

I've also done the AMT Supra 2JZ. Not recommended. The turbos are plumbed backward.

I'm really going to have to put my thinking cap on for this one. I have an idea, but we'll see if it pans out.

Mike, the detail on that Porsche is amazing.  If it wasn't for the wash in the panel gaps i'd swear it was a 1:1.

Erik, those look great.

Here's one I missed.  Winner of Scale Cannonball #3 had a Fujimi Nissan S20 in it (same one that was in the red oxide 32 Drift Rod above).

36084652575_e5531c68e2_z.jpg2010-11-11 at 16-12-55 by Fred Maillardet, on Flickr

Mike, the detail on that Porsche is amazing.  If it wasn't for the wash in the panel gaps i'd swear it was a 1:1.

2010-11-11 at 16-12-55

by

Fred Maillardet

, on Flickr

Those panel gaps were more like gentle valleys and I used enamel for the wash so had to leave it. My favorite engine, including the 1:! sitting in the garage. Thanks ...

There are so many inline engine choices available, this should be a cakewalk for everyone. At least in terms of picking a powerplant.

I'm going to be challenging myself with some scratchbuilding. I have the idea, I have the pieces, let's see if I have the skills to complete the vision.

Lets not Forget Tamiyas range of inline engines. just off the top of my head.

R32 GTR, Supra, 2000GTR, Merc SLR, Celica, Mini, Lotus 7 + heaps of others, & then theres the Revell kits that are pretty cheap, things like Honda Civics, integras, eclipse, Evo7, all come with decent engines that could easly be transplanted into any car, add a turbo or 2 & boom, faster than a V8....

The Aftermarket offer a fair few engines too, Eightyone has a few, hobby design have a couple too.

Cant wait for this one, I think it'll be awesome! 

I think some of the Jaguar kits came with a straight 6.  A Tamiya Jaguar Mk II Saloon would be a fine way to cross the country. Monogram's old '85 Mustang SVO, or their '87 Turbo T-Bird Coupe would be sweet rides.  MG and Triumph made a lot of neat sixes over the years.  A '41 Plymouth would be killer, as would one of the Galaxie '48 Chevies.  For the truck guys, the Ford engine in the Moebius '69 pickup could power a lot of rides.  What about a Deora?  a '64 Belvedere with the slant would be slick too.  Replicas and Miniatures made a Buick Straight Eight at one time.  Put that in a hot rod of some type and it should hunt.  I am wondering if any kits had that little AMC six.  A pacer or better yet, a Gremlin with that thing would make a different type of ride.  Take a Jimmy Flintstone Dodge Van body, a Little Red Wagon kit and the Slant from a Belvedere or Deora kit and make a neat little van that would have fit in either category.   Last, but not least, think about the Hudson Twin H design.  Those were good enough for NASCAR, so they should be good enough for a trip to the corner store...  Even if the store is in the opposite corner of the Country!   

I'm better at thinking up ideas than I am at building them, though!  (I am really thinking about the Hornet and the T-Bird Turbo Coupe, though!)

Dave

The "Inliners" sounds like an interesting theme! I didn't finish my entry this year either, but I'll try again next year. I'm guessing I'll end up with a Chevy Straight Six under the hood of something we don't see every day.....;)

Okay guys. Based upon the results after the poll, our results stand thusly - Vans 8, In-Liners 10, with Foxer voting for both. :D

So I'm gonna call it here, rather than drag this on any further. In-Liners win.

Our theme for 2018 is in-line engines of ANY variety. Transverse, slants, diesel, modern, vintage, foreign, domestic. Any configuration as long as ALL cylinders are in one row.

Lets get planning.

Rob, can we get back to requiring monthly updates? I slacked off a bit myself last year but I think those updates keep the interest up.

I thought about not entering this year, but after seeing all the ideas the guys have, I am now restoked!

Thanks.

This truck - posted above also - has two Cummins inline 6 diesels. So, they are parallel, still inline...It seems like a good idea. Wouldn't take much, really, just scratchbuilding two eninges and then a frame to accomodate the two eninges plus a way to adapt the two engines to one transmission, and also a really big gas tank.

I'm still thinking of combining some of the categories since my brain was already working towards that.

002-1970-dodge-sweptline-cummins-diesel-engines.jpg

Rob, can we get back to requiring monthly updates? I slacked off a bit myself last year but I think those updates keep the interest up.

I thought about not entering this year, but after seeing all the ideas the guys have, I am now restoked!

Thanks.

Monthly updates are great...for those looking monthly! I don't even visit the site once a month from about May to October!

Really, there are two periods I am totally motivated...when the new theme comes out, and about one month before the finish.

I am anticipating some pretty non-traditional models with the inline theme - looking forward to it!

This truck - posted above also - has two Cummins inline 6 diesels. So, they are parallel, still inline...It seems like a good idea. Wouldn't take much, really, just scratchbuilding two eninges and then a frame to accomodate the two eninges plus a way to adapt the two engines to one transmission, and also a really big gas tank.

I'm still thinking of combining some of the categories since my brain was already working towards that.

002-1970-dodge-sweptline-cummins-diesel-engines.jpg

The way I understand it, you could use those two Cummins inline 6 diesels, but they would have to be inline to each other, not side to side. Looks like a front end stretch! I'd love to see that. :)

Edited by Foxer

The way I understand it, you could use those two Cummins inline 6 diesels, but they would have to be inline to each other, not side to side. Looks like a front end stretch! I'd love to see that. :)

Haha. Yeah, me too. 

Im not too worried - won’t be me taking it on...now Fred, however...