Model Cars Magazine Forum

Best fix for Revell's '48 Ford Custom roof?

Argh! I hate that when you try add your own text under somebody else's text your quoting. Using an iPad, like I do, it shows only part of the box being worked in. And many times note at the point where your typing.

To finish what I was going to say above. Again, always nice work Tulio. You are one of the masters at building beautiful Fords. And your work on '48 Fords, mainling the turds from IMC, amaze me.

I also agree with fix for the Custom versions roof. Buy a stock version and build your own if you don't like. Though as noted, I do like it. So I'll be leaving well enough alone.

One question to Tulio or any of the other Ford experts out there. The instructions the "stock" '48 Fords say to paint the underdash heater box a white color. Is this right? I can't find any photos on the web confirming this. It does seem right to me. But, I maybe wrong. 

The under dash heaters were not white. On the Sedan Coupe, it was the same metallic gray as the dash. On the Convertible Club Coupe, it was the same light sand metallic as the steering column and parking brake handle. 

All 1948 Ford cars steering wheels were gray, with the exception of the Sportsman, that were only rebadged as 1948 models but were all left over from '47.

Also for 1948, Ford introduced the option of blue cloth, leaving the gray stripped cloth from '47 also as an option. 

Engine was blue, but since all parts were painted before assembly, the bolts were natural metal color. 

Don't forget to paint the grille recesses body color, as they were part of the body on the 1:1. Only the stripes were polished stailess. The upper part of the grille, was stainless with a die cast central piece in chrome. Saw many '48 Fords that the builder left the entire grille piece chrome. More flash, but not stock. 

31223074213_2895e48565_c.jpgRevell 1948 Ford Sedan Coupe WIP by CCCP Digital Studio, on Flickr

Guess what showed up on doorstep on a Sunday. The '48 Ford Police Coupe model. Heck. I didn't even know the USPS delivered on Sundays. Naturally, I had to pull the body to compare it to the Custom Coupe kit. Interesting. I don't which roof I like better. The stock roofline, or the chopped one? They both look pretty good to me. The one thing that really stands out between the two kit bodies is the engraving of the door and trunk lines. They're very shallow on the Custom Coupe. They are deeper and stand out better on the "stock" Police Coupe. The lines are so shallow on the Custom Coupe, it's makes me wonder what they'll be like after paint has been applied? They should be okay. I guess we'll see. 

Edited by unclescott58

Guess what showed up on doorstep on a Sunday. The '48 Ford Police Coupe model. Heck. I didn't even know the USPS delivered on Sundays. Naturally, I had to pull the body to compare it to the Custom Coupe kit. Interesting. I don't which roof I like better. The stock roofline, or the chopped one? They both look pretty good to me. The one thing that really stands out between the two kit bodies is the engraving of the door and trunk lines. They're very shallow on the Custom Coupe. They are deeper and stand out better on the "stock" Police Coupe. The lines are so shallow on the Custom Coupe, it's makes me wonder what they'll be like after paint has been applied? They should be okay. I guess we'll see. 

Last week I thought I was seeing things when came across a mail jeep out on Sunday. 

Biggest issues I have with the chopped coupe are the rear quarter windows (The rear radius of the window is pretty much stock) which should have a sharper radius. And the windshield opening. Windshield is too tall, to narrow and to square looking. The Police coupe suffers from this also. They both suffer the squashed looking roof of the 49 Mercury also

ebay299209.jpg

NewStuff_001.jpg

6546753497_16a8741bf6.jpg

Edited by Sledsel

If you don't like it and can neither identify nor fix what you don't like about it, this is always an option for the skill-free crowd...

That was my option of choice on the Revell Chopped '49 Merc, I just gave up on it. Was frustrated beyond belief.

If you don't like it and can neither identify nor fix what you don't like about it, this is always an option for the skill-free crowd...

I don't why. But, I found the above video cathartic. I've been there. Done that. I like the fact that his shoelaces were untied. Thankfully I haven't done anything like that in years. But, I do get it. Or did, at least at one time. 

On 11/25/2017 at 1:58 AM, Sledsel said:

Biggest issues I have with the chopped coupe are the rear quarter windows (The rear radius of the window is pretty much stock) which should have a sharper radius. And the windshield opening. Windshield is too tall, to narrow and to square looking. The Police coupe suffers from this also. They both suffer the squashed looking roof of the 49 Mercury also

ebay299209.jpg

NewStuff_001.jpg

6546753497_16a8741bf6.jpg

I'm assuming the top photo is of a real car? Between that and model kit posted just above, I think the Revell is right on. It makes a great looking custom. I'm glad I bought one. 

18 hours ago, unclescott58 said:

I'm assuming the top photo is of a real car? Between that and model kit posted just above, I think the Revell is right on. It makes a great looking custom. I'm glad I bought one. 

Yes, but look at the windshield placement on the blue one vs. the real car. It's all wrong. 

1 hour ago, Draggon said:

Yes, but look at the windshield placement on the blue one vs. the real car. It's all wrong. 

Exactly, it's a mess.  Also note the relationship of the bottom corner of the windshield to the lower edge of the side windows, and the crease that on the 1:1 flows off the hood, along the cowl and under the windows.  On the model, it's disjointed - almost like they stiched together the front and rear of two bodies and misaligned them by about 1/16".

5 hours ago, Draggon said:

4 hours ago, dodgefever said:

Exactly, it's a mess.  Also note the relationship of the bottom corner of the windshield to the lower edge of the side windows, and the crease that on the 1:1 flows off the hood, along the cowl and under the windows.  On the model, it's disjointed - almost like they stiched together the front and rear of two bodies and misaligned them by about 1/16".

Sorry guys. It looks okay to me. It may not exactly the same as on the real car. But, I still like it.