Model Cars Magazine Forum

*Outrageous Prices 1973-1974 Road Runner*

Why are the prices so ridiculous for the newer-issues ( Racing Champions , Round2 ) of the ancient MPC (et al.)  1973-1974 Road Runner GTX ???? 

Even the half-arsed RC-era version --- complete with its 1975-1978 chassis and dashboard --- is fetching some stupid money ! Never mind that the Duke of Prunes 'Daisy Prunes' reissue is going for stellar prices ; it's that tin-packaged-with-some-character release that may as well be auctioned at Sotheby's New York Gallery !

What the deuce ?

I hope that Round2 will release this kit again , this time sans and endorsements / embellishments ; just a nice , non-Prunes , non-tin-boxed version ...

$35, $32, $26, are the last three '74 DoH RR completed sale prices I see. One in the tin sold for $79.99, but all the others are between $49 and $26, $26 being less than what they sold for when first reissued. No sale on the $15 and $30 RC2 era kits. Where are you seeing these ridiculous prices?

I see the average AMT 74 Plymouth GTX selling for around $15, plus or minus a few bucks. To me that seems to be only a buck or two higher than the average kit. Admittedly, it does seem slightly high considering there were so many versions around a few years ago you could hardly give them away. There's still no shortage of lower priced ones if you're patient. There's a lot of these kits out there.

$35, $32, $26, are the last three '74 DoH RR completed sale prices I see. One in the tin sold for $79.99, but all the others are between $49 and $26, $26 being less than what they sold for when first reissued. No sale on the $15 and $30 RC2 era kits. Where are you seeing these ridiculous prices?

Well , including the sometimes-as-high-as-90%-of-the-cost-of-the-kit shipping ...

I'm trying to avoid the RC-era release , only because of the woefully-incorrect dashboard and chassis ; the Dukes release is the one I want  , but only because Round2 not only corrected the aforementioned errors , but because the decal set is superior . The c.1983 issue (red car on box , with Cragar S/ST wheels) would be okay , too --- just not a fan of  that era of ridiculously-dark-tinted glass , and the notorious "tyre-burn" chemical-reaction . 

The RC-era would be okay "If ... The Price Is Right " ; then I could buy a resin dash from Harts Parts -or- buy another AMT 1971 Charger as a donor (the ones I have now are slated for the glue bomb 1972 Charger Rallye annual) .

I see the average AMT 74 Plymouth GTX selling for around $15, plus or minus a few bucks. To me that seems to be only a buck or two higher than the average kit. Admittedly, it does seem slightly high considering there were so many versions around a few years ago you could hardly give them away. There's still no shortage of lower priced ones if you're patient. There's a lot of these kits out there.

Funny anecdote ; I was able to buy two of the coveted 1971 Road Runner kits ( of the 1987 reissue ) for $40 / each , unbuilt and in perfect condition . 

Timing's everything I suppose ...

I really , truly don't understand why that stinkin' tin-packaged version goes for so much ! Even if it were a 1/12 scale version (never produced) , it wouldn't elicit the kind of prices I've seen these folks charge for 'em !

The problem is: you want the good ones! :)

It certainly wouldn't hurt Round 2 if they took the beautiful box art from the tin edition, repurposed it for a regular box, and put a new one out, along with the same (comprehensive) decals, correct chassis plate and dash.

They recently reissued the '70 Super Bee again in a nice, yet different box, that seems to be working for them.   

The problem is: you want the good ones! :)

It certainly wouldn't hurt Round 2 if they took the beautiful box art from the tin edition, repurposed it for a regular box, and put a new one out, along with the same (comprehensive) decals, correct chassis plate and dash.

They recently reissued the '70 Super Bee again in a nice, yet different box, that seems to be working for them.   

It would be nice if they also found some of the older issues' optional parts along the way: the Baja racer stuff from the '73, and / or the Police car stuff from the '74...

In my mind , the "good" ones are the versions with the correct dashboard and chassis ;) . 

Yes , it would be quite nice of Round2 to install the Dukes version (e.g. , include the killer decals) with the "Tin Soldier" ( Ha ! ) box art . Additionally , it would be great if Round2 found the optional parts from the 1973 and 1974 annuals , and add them to "my" proposed re-re-release .

Seems like a Baja(!) version was pretty hokey back in '73, and wouldn't hold up any better by the time 2018 rolls around. I guess it was a good excuse for MPC to maximize their usage of the Goodyear Suburbanite tires, but who's taking their '73 Road Runner off-road??

MPC732573RoadRunner3.jpg

MPC732573RoadRunner5.jpg

I didn't realize that they are asking that much for them now. I have the tin kit and the reason I went for that one was the decals. The Dukes issue has the decals in three colors but no roadrunners on them. The Tin issue has the correct decals plus the correct dash and chassis even thought I still plan to kit bash it with a 71 Charger like I did with my last one. I went for the tin as it was not much more than the other issue. But if I wanted better decals Keith Marks decals were an extra $15. 

Seems like a Baja (!) version was pretty hokey back in '73, and wouldn't hold up any better by the time 2018 rolls around. I guess it was a good excuse for MPC to maximize their usage of the Goodyear Suburbanite tires, but who's taking their '73 Road Runner off-road??

It would probably be more successful nowadays if they called it a "post-apocalyptic/Mad Max" version!:D

Seems like a Baja(!) version was pretty hokey back in '73, and wouldn't hold up any better by the time 2018 rolls around. I guess it was a good excuse for MPC to maximize their usage of the Goodyear Suburbanite tires, but who's taking their '73 Road Runner off-road??

These were a thing back in the day. Credit MPC for having their finger on the pulse of Motorsport back then...

22E675A9-6E06-456A-AD4D-35ADF5A0289A.jpeg

F2803E48-74BB-49DF-AE97-95C5196ACD56.jpeg

2BE820A0-9639-487D-A6BE-87BA2151A3F3.jpeg

9A0AF8AA-DDCC-414A-A9FC-A8E0EA171122.jpeg

Or this...

...I want to cry a little when I see these. They could do the same thing with a much less desireable car and maybe even have it end up turning out cooler...

6C4DB492-5865-41BD-A4BA-0820012DBF24.jpeg

Do you even know the origin of this build?? It started out much like anything Steve Darnell builds at his shop Welderup, a pretty much worthless body shell rotting away in the desert of Nevada. I could see if it was a complete, numbers matching car, but it was far from that. 

Do you even know the origin of this build?? It started out much like anything Steve Darnell builds at his shop Welderup, a pretty much worthless body shell rotting away in the desert of Nevada. I could see if it was a complete, numbers matching car, but it was far from that. 

But Darnell paid $8000.00 just for the body .

I’m simply stating my opinion. If you go to one of the major Mopar shows and see what the complete junk cars and parts are trading for these days, you will see that almost anything by way of a B or E body is considered restorable now. 

I do realize that many years ago, nicer ones were likely junked or parted, simply because it made economic sense then to invest the time and money in the nicer ones.

I’m not even criticizing the build itself. Artistic vision is important to me, and I can see that the creator was going for something here. 

Still- it does look like this one was actually saved to an extent, and to that, I might be inclined to ask the question: could this have been done to another car that was perhaps less rare and / or desireble, or more common, and a similar artistic result would be achieved? I think so. Maybe I’m wrong, but that’s the opinion I’ll stick to. Artisitc value is undeniably a matter of personal taste. 

Times have changed now - they’re certainly not making any more of these, so they are now out of reach for the average hobbyist to enjoy. Mopars of this vintage were never thick on the ground, and are and will probably continue to be very desireable, and the prices for everything from the best cars right down to absolute junk parts reflect that. 

In the end, I realize the builder bought it and did with it what he pleased. That’s his perogative. Feeling about it the way I feel about it (and saying so) is mine. 

I still have my DOH version that I bought only for the box art. I may do it as a Satellite Sebring Plus, as I have the Missing Link Resin Flat Hood and Full wheel covers for it.

That sounds like a capitol idea ! Those wheel covers for 1970-1974 Plymouth from Missing Link are so awesome !