Model Cars Magazine Forum

Going back to enamel paint

I had issues with the cheap enamels years ago so I started using automotive paint but its just to finicky to use it in my basement,I found some Duplicolor acrylic enamel that was on sale at a local store that I really like but since it was on sale it looks like that store is probably not going to sell it any more. In my some times damp basement that paint went on without blushing like automotive paint does so I am going to see who else sells it and stock up on it if there is some decent colors.

How about trying lacquer paint designed for models? Since switching to lacquer, mainly Tamiya, I've had less problems with painting my models. 

I used Tamiya rattle cans exclusively now (I got tired of messing around with airbrushes) and I also use Tamiya enamels for brush painting.  (I buy them from Ebay and never have a problem receiving them, although they usually take 2 months to get them).

I have to agree with unclescott58 going with paint designed for what your are doing id best. I know many prefer automotive paints and general purpose hardware store paint and it seems to fulfil their needs, but I still feel that a paint design specifically for your needs will give you a better out come with very little additional cost. As for your dehumidifier, if your humidity is much over 40 % in your basement you need to consider the effects on anything stored there including your models. In some cases high humidity can contribute to the growth of dangers mold.  This is an interesting time of year in that we need to dehumidify our basements and turn on the humidifier on our furnaces for the above ground portion of our homes.       

How about trying lacquer paint designed for models? Since switching to lacquer, mainly Tamiya, I've had less problems with painting my models. 

Same here.

I'll use Tamiya rattle  cans ( and some Testors ) ,,,, or Duplicolor lacquers for 1/1 cars pretty much exclusively.

I couldn't tell you the last time I used an enamel spray.

I would use more paint designed for models but sometimes I can not get to the hobby shop when they are open so I have to  use what I can get.

If your not in a rush. Do what I do. I buy a lot of my paint on eBay. Prices are good. And I've had pretty good service from just about everybody I've ever dealt with on this. If you buy from somebody in this country, 99% of time you'll get whatever you want in less than week. Hobby stores overseas? May take a month or so. And I've been very lucky with buying paint on eBay. I've always gotten what I've ordered. And always in perfect shape. There are things I've purchased where I've had problems. But, never with paint or glue. Knock on wood! 

I mean, a lot of this comes down to whether you wanna build something great and use the best tools for the job, or just get it done quickly with whatever you can find easily.

I'd go for the quality option, myself...and for me, that's taking a bit longer get the good quality paints, make sure the area is properly prepared (eg: put the dehumidifier on) to do the job and then do it nicely.  Rush jobs normally LOOK like rush jobs.

I guess I must be the most old school. I go way out of my way to buy automotive enamel paint mixed in authentic Ford colors. The guy I buy from (1:1 car paint shop), is the only one that still mixes enamels. I just use "modern" base coat clear coat on metallic colors, and that is only because I can't find Acrylic Enamel anymore. 

Sometimes I use rattle can, but only Tamiya. 

On 12/2/2017 at 5:29 PM, Lovefordgalaxie said:

I guess I must be the most old school. I go way out of my way to buy automotive enamel paint mixed in authentic Ford colors. The guy I buy from (1:1 car paint shop), is the only one that still mixes enamels. I just use "modern" base coat clear coat on metallic colors, and that is only because I can't find Acrylic Enamel anymore. 

Sometimes I use rattle can, but only Tamiya. 

The new single stage paint is urethane. Alot like the old Imron. I get all my paint at NAPA.