Model Cars Magazine Forum

Anyone using a Paasche model H airbrush? How do you like it?

I just bought one at the LHS. I wanted a single action with a wide spray pattern for covering a whole 1/24 car and not having "tiger stripes". If you have one, how do you like it? How is it with pearls and candies? Weird questions for an owner to ask, but I don't have a heated place to spray. It may be a couple of weeks before I can try it out.

Thanks.

I find my H is the best all round airbrush of all the different types I have here. So easy to use and clean and is always my go to airbrush for priming.

Follow Jasons' advice of agitating the bottle to prevent settling and you will master it in no time.

I like mine and but now I use it mostly on non-body parts. Even with the #5 tip in the Paasche H, I still get tiger stripes on bodies. I use a Procon PS-290 to shoot bodies. Still learning to use it. The H is a good A/B and I've painted lots of stuff with it.

Never used one, but I've been using the very similar Badger 350 for 30 years and love it for model car work. It's my go-to airbrush and used 95%+ of the time. If/when it comes time to retire it, I might go with the Paasche H, assuming prices are comparable. 

When I got the Badger, parts were FAR more available locally than for the Paasche, but in the age of one-click internet shopping for anything you want or need, that's not an issue anymore. 

I have both the Paasche H and Paasche VL double action airbrushes.  I prefer the Paasche H.  It is very versatile and so easy to clean.  The only drawback to the Paasche H versus the Paasche VL that I have found is that with some paint (automotive lacquers) I have to be very careful with the dilution or the paint will not flow properly.  Other paints seem to be less forgiving, but this could also be something peculiar with the way I paint.

3 hours ago, Jim N said:

I have both the Paasche H and Paasche VL double action airbrushes.  I prefer the Paasche H.  It is very versatile and so easy to clean.  The only drawback to the Paasche H versus the Paasche VL that I have found is that with some paint (automotive lacquers) I have to be very careful with the dilution or the paint will not flow properly.  Other paints seem to be less forgiving, but this could also be something peculiar with the way I paint.

Hint on thinning lacquers for an H:   I thin mine to the consistency of skim milk (by observation as to how it "sheets" down the sides of my color jar), then lower the airpressure (I do this with my old Binks moisture trap, just bleed off the air until the airbrush just sprays) then move in close for spraying.  Perfect paint jobs every time, with even minimal paint buidup.

Art

6 hours ago, Art Anderson said:

Hint on thinning lacquers for an H:   I thin mine to the consistency of skim milk (by observation as to how it "sheets" down the sides of my color jar), then lower the airpressure (I do this with my old Binks moisture trap, just bleed off the air until the airbrush just sprays) then move in close for spraying.  Perfect paint jobs every time, with even minimal paint buidup.

Art

That's the method that I'm trying to perfect. Sort of a HVLP system.

I use it too... very recomended

Specifically for primer... since the coumpound on primer is likely to abrasive...

The nozzle and working mechanism is so simple...very durable easy to clean...

But since its external mix airbrush... sometimes it will spray some small splatter...

I think its a law where all the external mix ab had....

But its fine

because i use it for primer and color which i sand it down later....

So go grab it....