Model Cars Magazine Forum

The Chrysler from Hell is at the dealer....

###### thats a car

hell scratch that its a tank

my car weights at 5700 lbs

so figuring if your doors are 1000 a piece

the doors + the engine+interior it would weight more then my hearse :huh::huh:<_<:P:o

yup and only probably 1/2 as fast.

Not to mention it was an old people car. It looked like old people it smelled like old people. I even felt old just driving it.

I did, however, promptly got rid of it after a couple months.

The only good thing about it was people thought I was the police and pulled over all the time.

I am not sure what I got after that. It might have been one of my Mustangs as compensation.

yup and only probably 1/2 as fast.

Not to mention it was an old people car. It looked like old people it smelled like old people. I even felt old just driving it.

I did, however, promptly got rid of it after a couple months.

The only good thing about it was people thought I was the police and pulled over all the time.

I am not sure what I got after that. It might have been one of my Mustangs as compensation.

at least it didnt smell like dead people

thats what i have to deal with

true but the top speed is 85 mph

thats it

but hay its a caddy they are ment for cruzin not speedin

yeah that's not very fast.

I was think more on the lines of that 200mph 930 I drove.

Fastest car I ever drove on the streets.

thats where my truck will come in at

its not going to be officiant but it will be fast

heres what im thinking a supercharged 572 ALL ENGINE

Sorry to hear about that Ed but dem Dodgers have a short life span and it gets downright expensive to replace parts. To heck with the alarm systems 'sides, who is going to steal it? :blink:

Now is a good time to buy one of them cool Scooters that gets 80 mpg or get a golf cart! I wish I was brave enough to buy & drive one around here but my redneck brothers & sisters would prolly run over me! :lol: You ever seen a fatman on a scooter before? :blink:;)

Any car or truck made after 1975 is best parked when it reaches 100,000 miles. Hell, any vehicle made after 1990 IS best parked at 75,000 miles! Todays cars are not meant to be repaired and the little 3 wants you to buy a new one every 3-4 years.

~ Jeff

I guess this is the smear mouth trash Mopars thread.

Mine run fine, always have and the Chrysler's I've bought in the past that had a problem and were supposed to be "junk!!!" had a problem that could be traced down to either neglect, abuse or mechanical incompetence. All ran fine after taking care of a former owner's poor care.

I guess you folks like Toyotas with broken frames, Hondas that the wheels fall off of, Chevrolets with blown motors, etc, etc....

And Jello? I'm getting ready to take my daughter to summer school in my Grand Caravan with just under 180K miles, and it's low miles compared to my ol 86 Plymouth Reliant with 400K and the several slant sixes I've had with almost that many miles. I've had more Mopars with over 200K than I can count.

You guys better stick to glue and plastic, I can tell most of you haven't had a wrench in your hand much. Funny thing is, if something else was being trashed, I'd expect a moderator to step in.

Why you son of a bit............. ;)

The thing about Toyota frames is that they rust rusting and are prone to BUCKLING, but that is when you have it for ove 250,000 miles and just beat and bang around the farm, and oh this was a '79, the WORST for rust. ;)

I don't know, you might have had the lucky ones but that comment about the keep to plastic, well all my uncles except one with Ford are DODGE fans and yeah, they even said the newer stuff sucks because they either DROVE or OWNED one. My uncle bought a new extended cab 2500 cummins and he already had to take it to the garage 5 times in a couple month period. Also the Ford uncle knows I 2 guys that are big into Dodges and even they have bad stuff to say. Only stick the old stuff, it lasts longer and sorry for actually hearing the stuff about Dodges from OWNERS and hearing stuff from different people.

I am currently driving a 1999 Chrysler Concorde that I got from a previous employer as part of my severance. It has almost 415,000 Kilometers (about 257,000 miles) on it and it runs pretty good. It's not perfect but it is dependable, recently passed the provincial safety and clean air inspections and gets good mileage, between 25 and 35 (more on a long drive) mpg. It has had all of it's regular maintenance since new, I only use Mobil 1 synthetic oil and I take care of it.

The company I worked for had several Chryslers from a '84 Minivan to a Spirit, Intrepid and more, about 10 in total, mostly all good vehicles (the Intrepid needed a transmission the first week), but they were taken care of. I believe that if you take proper care of most vehicles, they will last 300,000 miles or more.

Now stop and think back like I did...when I was in college, my Dad had a '68 Chev Biscayne. At about 20,000 miles, I took it to the school's shop for an inspection. We replaced upper & lower ball joints, inner & outer tie rod ends, drag link, idler link, center link, 4 shock absorbers, 4 brake drums with shoes and hardware kits, both fan belts, a transmission service and an oil change. At that time, that was regular maintenance that was done every 2 years or 20,000 miles, whichever came first. Now we get upset when our vehicle need anything at 100,000 miles...hmmm.

Our new cars are really a lot better overall but we get upset when we lift the hood and can't do our own maintenance. I would rather flush an injector than rebuild a carb ;) Our fuel economy now is twice what it used to be when I was in college. The interiors are much better, the suspensions and tires are far superior to 20 years ago, electrics and lighting are better and the cars are much safer.

As for imports being better than domestics, the car is only as good as the service it gets. If your dealer has bad technicians, your car is in trouble. Oh, check 'Consumers Reports' for overall reliability. I had an email from a well known automotive broadcaster last year that said Toyota is number 12 for reliability behind Lexus, Porsche, Chrysler, GM, Ford, Nissan, Mazda, Honda, Hyundai, (not in proper order) etc. I know a few Toyota dealers who tell me there are lots of warranty repairs and even silent recalls but the media never tells.

Just find a car you are comfortable driving, take proper care of it and go build a model ;)

Toyota recently has their build quality go down because they are trying to compete with the big three instead of building them like they did for the past 70 years. ;) Honda's supposedly at the top for value and reliability and both still clost to the best resale value. Notice how the Tundra recently got recalls, I WONDER WHY??? Now my dad's 01 is practically PERFECT nothing wrong with it and never in the garage, but that was before they started to just build trucks that were big, heavy, long, huge engine, and cargo room. Hey my dad's probably makes close to or a little over 280bhp, and that is respectable even with 50 series mufflers and a K&N, and it still burns rubber pretty darn good.

Lexus is part of Toyota. Still Toyota has some of the 10 best cars. I do admit though Chevy is getting their game back and Ford ain't that bad but Dodge is still on the back burner.

http://money.cnn.com/galleries/2008/autos/...rst_cars/6.html

check this out and that was made for the offroad enthusiast and wasn't made to handle perfectly like a Ferrari and look all pretty but it's highs are what the main goal of it was, and they still ahve some of THE BEST 4X4's out there and if you think i'm full of ######, you don't know the legacy of Landcruisers and know somebody that OWNS all Landcruisers.

.....even with 50 series mufflers....

What are 50 series mufflers? :lol::lol::lol:

Calm down, Yota boy! Toyota's still have better customer satisfaction than VW. (From which, I make a living, for those who didn't know.) We are in the bottom five in this market. What's funny is Audi is in the top 10! The cars are a bit better built, but the sevice departments are the problem/cause. Nobody is happy with a car that you have to deal with a-holes whenever it breaks.

Well, it seems that everyone is splitting right down the middle- half trashing Chrysler, and half defending it.

How about if I personally split down the middle? We have a 2001 Dodge Electrical Problem......err.....Durango.

Mechanically, it's a fine truck. The mileage sucks, but you don't buy a V8 SUV if you're expecting mileage. Mechanically, in nearly 100,000 miles of our ownership, it's needed a lower ball joint (Not including the uppers that were done under recall) Not bad at all

Electrically, it's a steaming pile of feces. Electrical problem after electrical problem after electrical problem. Let's see, in four years: throttle position sensor (2X), cooling fan relay, cam position sensor, crank position sensor, heater fan resistor, power window switch, ignition switch, and rear window motor.

That's a recipe for electrical junk.

When I made this claim on another board, some joker actually tried to tell me it was my fault, due to bad maintenance. If there was a shred of truth to that fantasy, then my Ford truck that I have had for 9 years (and has had the same "faulty" maintenance) would have had about twice the number of electrical problems as the Dodge.

It's had less than half.

What are 50 series mufflers? :lol::blink::P

Calm down, Yota boy! Toyota's still have better customer satisfaction than VW. (From which, I make a living, for those who didn't know.) We are in the bottom five in this market. What's funny is Audi is in the top 10! The cars are a bit better built, but the sevice departments are the problem/cause. Nobody is happy with a car that you have to deal with a-holes whenever it breaks.

:lol::lol:

Flowmaster :P

Why you son of a bit............. :lol:

The thing about Toyota frames is that they rust rusting and are prone to BUCKLING, but that is when you have it for ove 250,000 miles and just beat and bang around the farm, and oh this was a '79, the WORST for rust. :lol:

I don't know, you might have had the lucky ones but that comment about the keep to plastic, well all my uncles except one with Ford are DODGE fans and yeah, they even said the newer stuff sucks because they either DROVE or OWNED one. My uncle bought a new extended cab 2500 cummins and he already had to take it to the garage 5 times in a couple month period. Also the Ford uncle knows I 2 guys that are big into Dodges and even they have bad stuff to say. Only stick the old stuff, it lasts longer and sorry for actually hearing the stuff about Dodges from OWNERS and hearing stuff from different people.

It was a modified Gray Market 930 with super cams and the biggest intercooler that would fit in the tail.

Yeah I got a little freaked out at 178 so I backed out of it. Above 150mph is the big jump and you are living with decisions you made seconds ago.

But I had gone 212 at RA.

Edited by CAL

I am currently driving a 1999 Chrysler Concorde that I got from a previous employer as part of my severance. It has almost 415,000 Kilometers (about 257,000 miles) on it and it runs pretty good. It's not perfect but it is dependable, recently passed the provincial safety and clean air inspections and gets good mileage, between 25 and 35 (more on a long drive) mpg. It has had all of it's regular maintenance since new, I only use Mobil 1 synthetic oil and I take care of it.

The company I worked for had several Chryslers from a '84 Minivan to a Spirit, Intrepid and more, about 10 in total, mostly all good vehicles (the Intrepid needed a transmission the first week), but they were taken care of. I believe that if you take proper care of most vehicles, they will last 300,000 miles or more.

Now stop and think back like I did...when I was in college, my Dad had a '68 Chev Biscayne. At about 20,000 miles, I took it to the school's shop for an inspection. We replaced upper & lower ball joints, inner & outer tie rod ends, drag link, idler link, center link, 4 shock absorbers, 4 brake drums with shoes and hardware kits, both fan belts, a transmission service and an oil change. At that time, that was regular maintenance that was done every 2 years or 20,000 miles, whichever came first. Now we get upset when our vehicle need anything at 100,000 miles...hmmm.

Our new cars are really a lot better overall but we get upset when we lift the hood and can't do our own maintenance. I would rather flush an injector than rebuild a carb :lol: Our fuel economy now is twice what it used to be when I was in college. The interiors are much better, the suspensions and tires are far superior to 20 years ago, electrics and lighting are better and the cars are much safer.

As for imports being better than domestics, the car is only as good as the service it gets. If your dealer has bad technicians, your car is in trouble. Oh, check 'Consumers Reports' for overall reliability. I had an email from a well known automotive broadcaster last year that said Toyota is number 12 for reliability behind Lexus, Porsche, Chrysler, GM, Ford, Nissan, Mazda, Honda, Hyundai, (not in proper order) etc. I know a few Toyota dealers who tell me there are lots of warranty repairs and even silent recalls but the media never tells.

Just find a car you are comfortable driving, take proper care of it and go build a model :lol:

Hummm :lol:

I knew Porsche was up there, they always come in second or third.

I always remember Nissan way down the list.

and recently Ford overtook Toyota in relaibility, and know it has been faultering. They are too focused on trying to turn out more cars then GM and lost sight of quality control.

When I made this claim on another board, some joker actually tried to tell me it was my fault, due to bad maintenance. If there was a shred of truth to that fantasy, then my Ford truck that I have had for 9 years (and has had the same "faulty" maintenance) would have had about twice the number of electrical problems as the Dodge.

It's had less than half.

I hate to tell you, but you may find post #33 in this thread strikingly familiar.

I hate to tell you, but you may find post #33 in this thread strikingly familiar.

I have read that too.

Truth is sometimes it is, sometimes it isn't bad maintenance.

Sometimes they are just bad cars.

The only thing I that I have seen in the shop more times in less miles than the Dodge Ram I drove was this poor little ole Alfa Spyder, also brand new and it had more stupid problems like once the wiper fell off in a rain storm. A radiator hose fell off. A bunch of little stupid stuff fell off. Sometimes the light quite working, some times the radio on got one station.

In any event, those type comments are seem more like a weak defense for crappy cars.

Unfortunately for them and their defense of Chrysler. I write them off as diehard Chrysler fans, "I couldn't possibly the car," because a lot of times they are incapable of an unbiased opinion.

:lol: Guys After 32 yearsc with G.M. I hafta say SOMETIN about the Quality of the cars tocay. Most autoworkers ARE VERY PROUD of the product they build.They HAFTA do a good job or you won't buy another one!The problem is NOT with the product, it lies with the vendors who supply the wirering harnesses,Gage pods,I.P's (inst.panels) consoles,Window mechinsims and so on.If you have NEVER worked an assembly line job,you may not be able to relate, but it IS very tedious, boring,in fact mind numbing kind of work.I worked at least 20 different jobs in 32 years, from body shop(body ass.)to Final ass.(body shipping) They all had their downs no ups.NO assembly line job is a good job! some are just not as bad as others!BUT if they PAY you WELL, you WILL tolerate it! Now when you ask someone to do those same jobs for MINIMUM wages, you ARE gonna run into trouble!Those poor non-union workers got to take the same sh8t that we did, but they HAD to take it!Boss dint get the raise he wanted, so his people get sh8t from him caz he's mad! Company dint get as much as they wanted for this contract year from the Big 3, so they gotta lay off workers an the ones that are left gotta do even more!So they quit a punk min.wage job to go find ANOTHER punk min. wage job an whos left to teach the new workers how to build the wireing harness corectly?Can you see the problem?Money IS the only god the auto co. presidents,and Ceo's understand!They don't care about the product, just how much they'll get PAID this year! Tommy LaSorda, who is now a Chrysler Ceo, was my plant manager for 3 years! A G.M. plant manager!If we hit production quotas or had a perfect new car rollout, He gave us 1/18th scale model cars!While HE Got a NEW Sedan DeVille to drive for free for a year!It all comes down to paying the workers who build the PARTS that make up the WHOLE car a fair compensation for their work!With the way the auto comps are run now you aint seen nuthin yet.THE ONLY cars that might be worth what you pay for em WON'T be made in the U.S.! And I still doubt they'll be worth what you pay for em.As for Jap cars, Those workers are comin from a WHOLE different mindset.Their WHOLE society is gonna be strange to someone from the U.S.! So your not dealing with a corporate mindset, but a SOCIETY's mindset! the same with the Euro's. you know, they got more time off for vacations and national holidays than any other workforce?! AND they get paid pretty good!You guys are gonna be in for a real shock when the big 3 start introducing "NEW" energy efficient cars,Caz you ARE GONNA pay for them alright!Alot more! and they won't be all that much better than what we got now!Honest days pay for an honest days work is what made the Big 3 what they are, and they have totally forgotten their MOST VALUABLE ASSET,the AMERICAN WORKER!Thats My 2 cents, and I fully endorse this message!

:lol: Guys After 32 yearsc with G.M. I hafta say SOMETIN about the Quality of the cars tocay. Most autoworkers ARE VERY PROUD of the product they build.They HAFTA do a good job or you won't buy another one!The problem is NOT with the product, it lies with the vendors who supply the wirering harnesses,Gage pods,I.P's (inst.panels) consoles,Window mechinsims and so on.If you have NEVER worked an assembly line job,you may not be able to relate, but it IS very tedious, boring,in fact mind numbing kind of work.I worked at least 20 different jobs in 32 years, from body shop(body ass.)to Final ass.(body shipping) They all had their downs no ups.NO assembly line job is a good job! some are just not as bad as others!BUT if they PAY you WELL, you WILL tolerate it! Now when you ask someone to do those same jobs for MINIMUM wages, you ARE gonna run into trouble!Those poor non-union workers got to take the same sh8t that we did, but they HAD to take it!Boss dint get the raise he wanted, so his people get sh8t from him caz he's mad! Company dint get as much as they wanted for this contract year from the Big 3, so they gotta lay off workers an the ones that are left gotta do even more!So they quit a punk min.wage job to go find ANOTHER punk min. wage job an whos left to teach the new workers how to build the wireing harness corectly?Can you see the problem?Money IS the only god the auto co. presidents,and Ceo's understand!They don't care about the product, just how much they'll get PAID this year! Tommy LaSorda, who is now a Chrysler Ceo, was my plant manager for 3 years! A G.M. plant manager!If we hit production quotas or had a perfect new car rollout, He gave us 1/18th scale model cars!While HE Got a NEW Sedan DeVille to drive for free for a year!It all comes down to paying the workers who build the PARTS that make up the WHOLE car a fair compensation for their work!With the way the auto comps are run now you aint seen nuthin yet.THE ONLY cars that might be worth what you pay for em WON'T be made in the U.S.! And I still doubt they'll be worth what you pay for em.As for Jap cars, Those workers are comin from a WHOLE different mindset.Their WHOLE society is gonna be strange to someone from the U.S.! So your not dealing with a corporate mindset, but a SOCIETY's mindset! the same with the Euro's. you know, they got more time off for vacations and national holidays than any other workforce?! AND they get paid pretty good!You guys are gonna be in for a real shock when the big 3 start introducing "NEW" energy efficient cars,Caz you ARE GONNA pay for them alright!Alot more! and they won't be all that much better than what we got now!Honest days pay for an honest days work is what made the Big 3 what they are, and they have totally forgotten their MOST VALUABLE ASSET,the AMERICAN WORKER!Thats My 2 cents, and I fully endorse this message!

It's just not the big three that forgot the American Work, virtually every industry has - largely because okay you wont do it for some rediculous amount for rediculous hours - some will.

for example a Harvard study showed that people are generally most productive working 35-38 hours a week. Over 40 it start dropping off significantly, and over 45 actually cost business billions of dollars a year in mistakes, accidents, and poor judgements.

It's mostly the bean counters who only see $ and not people, product or services, and you know what, they are mostly if not entirely wrong on most accounts.

Another example:

In the 80s GM looking to save themselves millions on a .03 cent connector vs a .04 connector over millions of vehicles over several years. However, the .03 cent connector was not as well build as the .04 connector and they failed to the point of massive recalls, lawsuits, and other related cost associated with mailings, dissatisfied customers, rentals, sevice costs to the tune of billions. The problems is they don't learn for these errors they keep doing it because some bean counting moron, jumping over dollars to pick up pennies, is telling them they will save X millions in the near future if you do this.

They saved .01 a car initially but it ended up cost something like $55.00 a car when it was all said and done.

It's wide spread, not just limited to the Automotive industry.

The companies with the biggest successes and happiest employees have figured this out. However that is only about 1% of American businesses. The rest of them can't see past George Washington's face to Benjamin Franklin's face... and quite frankly they don't seem to care.

Edited by CAL

It was a modified Gray Market 930 with super cams and the biggest intercooler that would fit in the tail.

Yeah I got a little freaked out at 178 so I backed out of it. Above 150mph is the big jump and you are living with decisions you made seconds ago.

But I had gone 212 at RA.

wow, nice... :blink: you suck

Hummm :P

I knew Porsche was up there, they always come in second or third.

I always remember Nissan way down the list.

and recently Ford overtook Toyota in relaibility, and know it has been faultering. They are too focused on trying to turn out more cars then GM and lost sight of quality control.

YES! THANK YOU!! Please give this man a prize!!!!!Exactly my point. :lol:

If you really take care of your car it can last forever, but it's like what Chris said, some cars are just BAD cars. :lol::lol:

wow, nice... :P you suck

YES! THANK YOU!! Please give this man a prize!!!!!Exactly my point. :lol:

If you really take care of your car it can last forever, but it's like what Chris said, some cars are just BAD cars. :lol::lol:

Not bad for a broken car with the wrong final drive in it. :blink:

I'd say some cars would last forever, some no matter how well you take care of them they are still junk.

Edited by CAL

:lol: The problem is NOT with the product, it lies with the vendors who supply the wirering harnesses,Gage pods,I.P's (inst.panels) consoles,Window mechinsims and so on.

I work for one of those companies. We are a vendor to another vendor. Muth is a company that makes the power mirrors for those side mirrors you see with the behind the mirror turn signals. They make them for Ford, Dodge, Jeep, and even Honda Goldwings. We are the company that produces the wiring harnesses for Muth. They are fussy about the quality of wires, terminals, and connectors. We inspect them 100% twice.

for example a Harvard study showed that people are generally most productive working 35-38 hours a week. Over 40 it start dropping off significantly, and over 45 actually cost business billions of dollars a year in mistakes, accidents, and poor judgements.

I was listening to the radio this morning. A head engineer for Toyota died from being overworked. He was working on a new hybrid designed car. I forgot how many hours he worked but it was some god-awful number. It sounded like he was actually living at his work.