Model Cars Magazine Forum

Butch Leal questions

iBorg

I picked up the Moebius Butch Leal car, the Melrose Missile and already have the Satellite. I'd like to do the California Flash AWB '65 car. I've attached a photo. I know the California Flash car is part of building the AWB, but the question is which car to sacrifice to get the correct body and if there's other required parts in the body donor kit.

AFXIrwindale.jpg

You will want to use the Missile body. The Satellite body has extra trim and such that needs to be sanded off in order for it to be correct for any of the SS/AFX cars.

I am not sure anyone is doing a AWB resin body based on the Moebius body yet.

I started one with a Satellite body a while back and tinker with it here and there. Mine is a Hodge Podge of parts to be a correct AWB mule car that had the Golden Commandos lettering on it. Because of this I am not completely sure if the MIssile kit had the parts for the AFX but believe it has all the engine parts there to make it including the headers IIRC with exception to the stack injection. The engine I am using in mine is based off of the Revell GTX Hemi and mastered with added in details then casted. (not available for sale) Uses Johan "Petty" headers, stamped steel Hemi K valve covers from Johan and cross ram. I was going to use a Hilborn intake also but decided on the unmodified mule car during testing. So before the Hilborn was added. 

Paul

2v2JJzNMvxAw9yy.jpg

Edited by mr68gts

2 hours ago, mr68gts said:

You will want to use the Missile body. The Satellite body has extra trim and such that needs to be sanded off in order for it to be correct for any of the SS/AFX cars.

I am not sure anyone is doing a AWB resin body based on the Moebius body yet.

I started one with a Satellite body a while back and tinker with it here and there. Mine is a Hodge Podge of parts to be a correct AWB mule car that had the Golden Commandos lettering on it. Because of this I am not completely sure if the MIssile kit had the parts for the AFX but believe it has all the engine parts there to make it including the headers IIRC with exception to the stack injection. The engine I am using in mine is based off of the Revell GTX Hemi and mastered with added in details then casted. (not available for sale) Uses Johan "Petty" headers, stamped steel Hemi K valve covers from Johan and cross ram. I was going to use a Hilborn intake also but decided on the unmodified mule car during testing. So before the Hilborn was added. 

Paul

2v2JJzNMvxAw9yy.jpg

Hey, that car looks funny!  :D

1 hour ago, iBorg said:

Paul I'm curious why you took off the fenders. Looks great. Are you planning on making it an under construction car?

Just doing it like a real car and I had to modify the front aprons anyway to reflect the real cars changes. Much easier with the fenders out of the way.

3 minutes ago, W-409 said:

I would probably wait until this Moebius kit is out in the stores instead of making my own conversion.

AFX08-vi.jpg

I feel the same way.

we all know they are planning an AFX car , just a matter of when . And its not like I need more shelf stock to keep me busy

That Moebius AWB car has been announced for a long time ago. There should be a thread about it on the Car Kit News & Reviews section somewhere. I'm looking forward to that kit for sure, you can never have too many AWB Match Racers!

Edit: Here it is... http://www.modelcarsmag.com/forums/topic/112838-seen-in-the-mobeius-booth-at-nnl-east/

Edited by W-409