Model Cars Magazine Forum

Seen in the Mobeius booth at NNL East

gtx6970

No details, yet, they're test shots. We don't have a specific car in mind yet, we don't have a release date yet. Decals on Steve's finished car are mix of Melrose Missile SS kit test sets and after market. No arrangements made for ANY specific car at this date. We are doing A990 sedans before this kit and they're not likely to arrive before end of this year. I'd say this can't get done until something like a year from now.

No details, yet, they're test shots. We don't have a specific car in mind yet, we don't have a release date yet. Decals on Steve's finished car are mix of Melrose Missile SS kit test sets and after market. No arrangements made for ANY specific car at this date. We are doing A990 sedans before this kit and they're not likely to arrive before end of this year. I'd say this can't get done until something like a year from now.

A big thank you to Dave Metzner for letting me give everyone an early preview of this kit which is most likely a mid 2017 release.  I built the unpainted one first and it went together so well for a test shot that I jumped on doing a full build of it.  I had doubts it would make it to the NNL but I ended up finishing it up with one day to spare.

Although Dave doesn't have a specific car in mind yet,  based on the AFX parts I had been provided to use from I see at least six possibilities. (Dave please correct me if I'm wrong) Two versions of the Melrose Missile,  at least two of the Golden Commandos, the California Flash and the Lee Smith Car.  I believe the Lee Smith car was referenced to create the tooling.  

Another possibility might be the Sox and Martin Car but I would have to research that one further.  I picked the injected version of the Melrose Missile to build because I liked it and I found paint and decals available to do it.   I was originally leaning toward doing one of the two-tone Golden Commandos car to be totally honest but I had questions about the color used and finding decals. 

-Steve

I was originally leaning toward doing one of the two-tone Golden Commandos car to be totally honest but I had questions about the color used and finding decals. 

-Steve

I have been talking with the owner / restorer of the Goldfish Barracuda that the Commandos ran in 65 and he has told me to use 1970 Dark Burnt Orange for the color. He asked me to build a model of his car and to use that color. Decals can be had through graphics sheets from Slixx and Fred Cady did a sheet years ago as well.

I have been talking with the owner / restorer of the Goldfish Barracuda that the Commandos ran in 65 and he has told me to use 1970 Dark Burnt Orange for the color. He asked me to build a model of his car and to use that color. Decals can be had through graphics sheets from Slixx and Fred Cady did a sheet years ago as well.

Great tip on the color Jason,  thanks !!!  I looked at the chip for K-5 1970 Dark Burnt Orange Poly on AutoColorLibrary.com and it looks like a great match to most of my reference photos.  I'm curious to what was actually used in '65 though considering your source is recommending a 1970 color.

Steve

Great tip on the color Jason,  thanks !!!  I looked at the chip for K-5 1970 Dark Burnt Orange Poly on AutoColorLibrary.com and it looks like a great match to most of my reference photos.  I'm curious to what was actually used in '65 though considering your source is recommending a 1970 color.

Steve

Your welcome Steve. Here's the link to the Commandos Barracuda build I have been working on. I'm hung up on the fender well headers right now. Need to get them done before I can move on.

http://www.modelcarsmag.com/forums/topic/102568-1965-fstock-barracuda-golden-commandos/#comment-1437191

I'm wondering if the Golden Commandos car wasn't Turbine Bronze Poly over that white base - Photos I have of the existing car look like that would be pretty close!

That would be my guess as well. Turbine Bronze Poly would have been available in 1963-64 when the Turbine cars were built. Pictures of the Turbine cars sure look like the color of the Golden Commandos car.  I don't think a color from 1970 would have been available that early. If you compare actual paint formulas, maybe the two are similar and close enough to substitute one for the other. 

FK5 Burnt Orange ( avail in 1970 only ) is no where near close to Turbine Bronze . I've never seen the Goldfish barracuda so I cant say one way or the other as to its color

BUT, I've seen the restored Golden Commandos  1965 AFX car in person, and I assure you its NOT Burnt Orange.

If I had to guess Its T5 medium bronze ,,or at least something close to it that was avail back in  64-65 time frame

I'm wondering if the Golden Commandos car wasn't Turbine Bronze Poly over that white base - Photos I have of the existing car look like that would be pretty close!

MM-1 Turbine Bronze was my first thought as the paint formula was available back then to repair any damaged Turbine Cars and it's also listed as spring '65 color for Dodge.

I went through this same discussion regarding the "Lawman" 64 Plymouths which appears to use the same color scheme and I could never get a definitive answer. I have one reliable source saying one of the Golden Commandos cars that was recently restored was painted using a Plymouth Prowler color for the Bronze so using a restored car for reference may not be the answer either.