Forum will be Offline for Server Maintenance ×
Model Cars Magazine Forum

'69 Chevy Nova SS

ckc1275

Here's my latest build.  Revell Special Edition '69 Chevy Nova SS.  I built it as if I had found an old race version and restored it to be a street legal car.  Overall, happy with it.

Interior hand painted

My first attempt at a 2-tone colour with "rattle cans".  Also, I tried using Rustoleum Painters Touch Clear Gloss.  I think I over applied on the hood, and almost over applied on the body.  (I was trying to rush maybe)

Let me know what you guys think

DSCF0619.JPG

DSCF0617.JPG

DSCF0601.JPG

DSCF0621.JPG

DSCF0622.JPG

DSCF0623.JPG

DSCF0600.JPG

The concept is good, and the build looks like it went together well, but the body paint is rough. I  think you would have had better results with a different brand of paint such as Duplicolor, testors or tamiya. The clear coat for sure went on too thick on the drivers side & you got some kind of debris in the paint which also I would attribute to the brand of paint.

2 hours ago, kymdlr said:

The concept is good, and the build looks like it went together well, but the body paint is rough. I  think you would have had better results with a different brand of paint such as Duplicolor, testors or tamiya. The clear coat for sure went on too thick on the drivers side & you got some kind of debris in the paint which also I would attribute to the brand of paint.

i was thinking of trying Duplicolor (just for the better choice of colours), but need to ask ... which primer should i use?  And suggestions for getting better results.  I live in an apartment and have limited access to be able to spray bodies etc.

Thanks, appreciate any input to help me improve 

1 hour ago, ckc1275 said:

Primer choice for me depends on the condition of the body before paint. If I had to do body work like sanding, puttying etc, I use Duplicolor High Build automotive primers. They are a bit thicker and help to conceal scratches. If im painting a body fresh out of the kit box that didn't need any body work, I use a cheap thin primer . IMO Lacquer paints will give you the best finish as opposed to enamel paints which i think rustoleum is. Clear coat should be lacquer based as well. spray several thin coats as opposed to one heavy one.

Edited by kymdlr