Model Cars Magazine Forum

Coca-Cola Show Rod - (Vending Machine)

Nacho Z

This was meant to be a quick build.  It turned out that it took a little longer than I had planned.  The frame was badly twisted.  There is a lot of flash on the chrome pieces.  The biggest problem was the fit of the roof piece to the cab.  It just doesn't fit.  Look at other built examples of this kit and you will see what I mean.  I spent a lot of time getting the roof to look right.  Lots of filling and filing.

Here is the kit that I used.

2v2JYU4G8xa4wkT.jpg

Here is the final result.

2v2JYUT73xa4wkT.jpg

2v2JYUmijxa4wkT.jpg

2v2JYUSu5xa4wkT.jpg

2v2JYUTuoxa4wkT.jpg

2v2JYUTn3xa4wkT.jpg

9 hours ago, Mr mopar said:

I like it . Rear tires are not wide enough .

I agree with you about the rear tires.  I just used what was in the kit as this was going to be a quick build.  You would need much wider tires to accurately replicate the real car.

17 hours ago, Modelbuilder Mark said:

Cool, I am planning on this being this year's show rod build for me. I like yours.  I was goung to go box stock, but not sure.  I was thinking of wiring the motor, and putting in radiator at least.

There is a radiator in the kit, kind of, but it is not very detailed.  Take your time and think out how to do the roof.  I glued mine on and fixed the horrible fitment issue.  I then cut out the cab floor and put the interior side panels in through the bottom.  I then glued the cut out floor piece back in.

Good luck on your build!

7 hours ago, Nacho Z said:

There is a radiator in the kit, kind of, but it is not very detailed.  Take your time and think out how to do the roof.  I glued mine on and fixed the horrible fitment issue.  I then cut out the cab floor and put the interior side panels in through the bottom.  I then glued the cut out floor piece back in.

Good luck on your build!

I went thru the parts,  and did not catch the radiator,  so I thought it would be like the Bathtub Buggy, where the radiator hose simply ford oon and hangs on space.

I like this as it comes into the drivable styles, on par with Tom Daniel's Paddy Wagon and the, like various C cabs and hot rods etc. This looks like it could have been a real thing, delivering Cola to some far off ranch where the nearest town is 5 miles away. It has turned out really nice. The decals are really sharp and clear I must say.  

I didn't always like the 'themed' show rods, especially those that were not drivable and those that did not look like street rods.  Show Rods were a great way to get kids into modelling even though some were a little odd to say the least such as the Hemi powered toilets, beds and pool tables etc but they were fun. My first hot rod kit was Rommel's Rod, a sort of transition for me from military modelling to cars, and I look in every now and then to Dave's Show Rod page to see what's new on there. Will I be seeing this one :) ?

You did a great job of hiding your issues, John.  I have never looked twice at this as the box art doesn't do a lot for me but seeing a professionally finished version like yours has changed my mind.  And not onyl does it make a great show rod, it would be an excellent start for one of those low slung T buckets that Greg was showing over in the General pages.  Quite the parts n=mine this one.

Thanks for going to the trouble of sharing this one with us all - it's been quite the education.

Cheers

Alan