Model Cars Magazine Forum

Monogram '53 Chevy Sectioned Custom

Lunajammer

6 hours ago, James2 said:

May I suggest just removing the lower points first. Then see what you have. Just wondering!

My thinking was to have trim that ran from the top points, over the side and down the door, similar to a 56 Ford. But that rounded rear fender really conflicts with almost anything you want to do with added shapes. If you search, even 1:1 customizers seldom embellish extra lines.

Thanks for all the comments folks. 

Edited by Lunajammer

On 4/26/2018 at 4:06 PM, Lunajammer said:

This is my entry into the Cannonball CBP down below, but as a matter of a searchable record I want this presented here in a separate, comprehensive thread.

Like many Monogram models of that era ('69 Camaro, '57 Nomad), the 53 is so disproportionate it welcomes body mods. The trunk is too long and I considered sectioning that but, nah. 

Monogram53ChevKit-vi.jpg

A scale 6-inches ready to be cut laterally throughout the car, which includes the interior bucket and engine compartment. Quarter inch tape demarcates well.

SideTapedforCut-vi.jpg

Just enough room in the back to get away with it.

RearTapedforCut-vi.jpg

I wanted to do this on a relatively low parts count kit. Fewer parts to cut and fewer headaches over fiddly stuff. The rounded rear fender will be the achilles heal. I'm also not going to try and preserve any side trim.

BodyCutUp-vi.jpg

There are one or two places that make sectioning intuitive, like in the interior bucket. The cut will be easy to hide. The deep draw of the lower engine bay also is forgiving of taking out a quarter inch.

BodyInteriorSectioned-vi.jpg

BodySectionedProfile-vi.jpg

It seems obvious that whoever created the master for this body never actually saw a real '53 Chevy !

• 2 weeks later...

Progress, slight. I've added trim and given it its first primer coat. Just haven't taken pics yet. Still some surfacing to be done. Modeling for me is seasonal and as everything is turning green, my summer chores and activities keep me away from the bench. Not much more will likely happen until fall.

On 5/12/2018 at 11:48 AM, Lunajammer said:

Modeling for me is seasonal and as everything is turning green, my summer chores and activities keep me away from the bench. Not much more will likely happen until fall.

Though I do find some time, this is so true....