Forum will be Offline for Server Maintenance ×
Model Cars Magazine Forum

Toyota Corolla TE27 Levin

Janne Herajärvi

Hello, here is my newest build, its Toyota TE27 Levin from Fujimi kit.. I did spent week to build this since i wanted to finish it fast becouse there is model contest soon on next week, and i wanted to build something new to show up there. Its my second model show so far in my life time so im bit exited.. Not a big show, but still one to go.

Ok about built and stuff i did for this..

Lowered chassis from front to get that stance look good.

Aftermarket 13" ATS wheels with tires from this Fujimi kit.

Interior got door handles etc, also there are some speakers and nice flag in back. Colors Olive drab and matt black with some Molotow touches, and also painted some wood treatment for steering wheel.

Color is Tamiya TS Forest green, i guess it was for some Aston Martin, but suits well for about any car.

Also made Japanese lincence plates to fit on US-size license plate frames

Not muct time to make more on week but these i made to build this puppy. After all i had much fun while doing this, and i could build another with more time and maybe more details..

but here are the pictures.. Enjoy ;)

_full.jpg

_full.jpg

_full.jpg

_full.jpg

_full.jpg

_full.jpg

_full.jpg

_full.jpg

_full.jpg

_full.jpg

Cheers ;)

Edited by Janne Herajärvi

The Corolla TE27 is a car that has a special place in my heart.

When I was in high school, my dad was the Emissions Lab Supervisor and Spokesman to the US EPA, California ARB and all other US emissions related matters for Toyota USA.

One night, my older brother needed to be picked up from an evening college class about 15 miles away across the San Fernando Valley part of LA. It was about 10:30PM when I went to leave the house. Instead of me driving my still stock '58 VW Bug, dad tossed me the keys to the company car he brought home for the night so it would get more real-world miles on it for test purposes. It was the US prototype TE27. In the US, the TE27 was called "SR5". Unfortunately for US motorsports fans, the test unit had FAR more performance built into it than what the EPA would allow Toyota to sell to the public. That little 1.6 liter Hemi Toyota SMOKED!!!! At least... the rear tires did. At one boulevard stop light near the world famous Van Nuys Boulevard cruise location and stop light drag races, I thought I would see how it could take off from a stop. So I revved it up and dumped the clutch. It sat still spinning the rear tires. I up-shifted to 2nd, it still sat still. 3rd, it started to move sideways. 4th gear it started rolling across the intersection. I hit 5th gear before crossing out of the intersection with the back of the car fishtailing gently. On the empty freeway, I got it up to a speed I thought was too fast for even an empty freeway. Way past what the speedo would show. When I got home, near midnite, dad showed me the instrumentation box behind the right seat that recorded everything the car did once the ignition was turned on. :o:wacko: But dad said it was OK. They  needed hard driving data too.

So the question for me is: How will I build the Fujimi Model kit I have? As the Toyota Test unit with data recorder in the back seat? Or as an SCCA B/Sedan race car?

Congratulations to Janne. You did a nice clean build. Good job at the model show.