Model Cars Magazine Forum

Gonna Get Back in the Hobby for a Little While

Hello guys,

Long time, no see. I'm Brandon, some of you may remember me, some may not. I used to build a lot of Mopar kits back when I was about 12, but then the usual teenager stuff took over my life and I put modeling down. The kits got locked up in storage, and most of the supplies got thrown away. I kept my airbrush and some tools, but stuff that would have gotten ruined anyways like paint and cement got tossed. I recently acquired my dream car, well, a iteration of my dream car. My dream car is a 1968 Charger, and my car is a 2013 Charger. I'll get a picture of it in here for you guys to see. Anyhow, I've been having an urge lately. I want to build a replica of my dream car in scale so that I can always be reminded of that goal in my life. I visited my local hobby store, but I cannot seem to find Revell's '68 Charger anymore. I also can't seem to find their '70 Charger, or the '69, or the '69 Daytona.

I guess I'll post a rundown of what I'm looking for and you guys can let me know where to pick it up or if it even exists.

• Revell 1968 Dodge Charger
  • 1/25 scale Hellcat engine
  • Some form of manual transmission for the Hellcat
  • Some form of modern mag wheels with low-profile tires
  • A modern racing style seat or something similar to what the modern Challengers have

Basically, it's a restomodded 1968 Charger. Paint is Cherry Red, with a matching black and red interior. I want it to be Hellcat-powered, with a six-speed. Usual restomod stuff such as disc brakes and a modern wheel and tire package. If you guys could help me track down some of this stuff, that would be really helpful. I look forward to reading around and seeing what's new on the forums as well.

All the best,

Brandon

20180308_204302700_iOS.jpg

Edited by Mr. Moparman

You can check any number of online retailers (Spotlight Hobbies, Model Roundup or eBay) for kits if your LHS does not have or cannot get them. The only thing you may have trouble finding is the Hellcat engine, not sure if anyone is casting or 3D printing it.

I don't know how long you have been away from modeling, but it sounds like you already had a good skill set when life got in the way. I think you'll find it's like riding a bike in that it will come back to you quickly. The models of Chargers are several and I think you will be able to find one or more easily. As for the Hellcat engine you just need the engine from one of the late model Charger/Challenger kits and add a Supercharger. I would suggest looking for the late model Challenger kits. Some are curb side but they offer wheels and tires plus the Disc Brakes you are looking for. There are many here that will help with questions at any point during your build so don't worry about asking questions as you go along. I like your Black Charger, we have a Dark Gray Mt.. '10 RT with AWD, love that car.       

2 hours ago, espo said:

I don't know how long you have been away from modeling, but it sounds like you already had a good skill set when life got in the way. I think you'll find it's like riding a bike in that it will come back to you quickly. The models of Chargers are several and I think you will be able to find one or more easily. As for the Hellcat engine you just need the engine from one of the late model Charger/Challenger kits and add a Supercharger. I would suggest looking for the late model Challenger kits. Some are curb side but they offer wheels and tires plus the Disc Brakes you are looking for. There are many here that will help with questions at any point during your build so don't worry about asking questions as you go along. I like your Black Charger, we have a Dark Gray Mt.. '10 RT with AWD, love that car.       

I won't say I was the best, but I was respectable. I'll post a picture of my '69 Daytona that was one of my final kits I ended up building before I put it away for awhile. The Daytona, my Revell '70 Cuda, and a Plymouth '69 GTX were my last ones. I did build one of AMT's 2017 50th Anniversary Camaro kits last year for a buddy as a replica of his 1:1.

I suppose I could probably source everything I need for my build from Revell's Challenger kit. It would have the seats I am looking for as well as the brakes and wheels/tires. I'm gonna get the resin Hellkitty engine from Clearly Scale. That thing looks sick with so much detail.

Sleeping Giant.jpg

Four-Letter Exciter.jpg

Edited by Mr. Moparman

I have to agree with you on the Clearly Scale Engines, they are very accurate looking. If you have a Hobby Lobby or a Craft Store like it in your area they often offer 40% off coupons. I have often used the coupon to buy a kit not with the intention of building it but to mine the wheels and tires, Chassis and Suspension as well as Engines and Interiors. At swap meets I'll pickup a few NASCR kits cheep for the same reason.