Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/25 MPC 890 - Joker Getaway Car

Casey

Good info regarding the AMT Charger chassis fitment. Need to buy one of those kits as a donor when I find one cheap. My plan has been to build one of these Monacos into a car that could have been sold new here in Finland and install some old winter tires on it. Several of these were sold as new in here, so it would be possible to do that. But I never liked the simplified chassis, hopefully the Charger engine bay would fit as well since the inner fenders and firewall are not very good on this kit...

8 hours ago, W-409 said:

hopefully the Charger engine bay would fit as well since the inner fenders and firewall are not very good on this kit...

See the pics on page one, Niko-- the '77+ B-body engine compartment does not have intergral inner fender like earlier B-bodies had, so to be correct, you can't swap the '71 Charger's engine compartment "walls", and you'd need to use separate, bolt on(?) inner wheelhouses like those on a say, '73 Chevelle. ;)

21 hours ago, Mark said:

But again, how much for the figures alone, compared to the one with the car included?

I would probably be the same as the current on in the kit! It is just a detail matter, not a make a blob matter! I only used the Soldier as an example that good detail can be achieved, even on smaller scale figures! 

I bought the Moebius Joker for around $6 bucks, since that seems to really matter to you. But, they include the Batman and Bane figures in their kits, and those are the same price as the ones without the figures. 

20 hours ago, Casey said:

See the pics on page one, Niko-- the '77+ B-body engine compartment does not have intergral inner fender like earlier B-bodies had, so to be correct, you can't swap the '71 Charger's engine compartment "walls", and you'd need to use separate, bolt on(?) inner wheelhouses like those on a say, '73 Chevelle. ;)

Just had a second (closer) look on those pics and it looks like you're right. But that makes things a bit easier as I have several that kind of inner wheelhouses in my parts box. Maybe some of them will fit. :P

I'm not a Mopar fan myself, so I'm not going to shoot for 100% accuracy. But the closer I get, the better of course.

On 2018-09-26 at 8:46 PM, 1972coronet said:

Don't forget : 1975-1978 B-bodies also had engine bays that were redesigned ---- don't use the Charger's 'bay , as it'll be incorrect .   Also , 1974 was the last year for the 8 3/4 differential ; a Dana 44 would "look" like a Chrysler 9 1/4 , which was the former's replacement when the 360 four barrel , 400 four barrel , and 440 were the engine .

In 1973 , on all B and C body Mopar , Chrysler went to an isolated K frame, which included a redesign of front sheet metal front aprons, it also added an extra cross member behind what was originally the torsion bar crossmember, thus if you want to correctly do a replica stock 73 and up Mopar you have some scratch building to do ! The front suspension from the 73-74 Charger/Road Runner is however the same as the 75 and up Cars although the aprons do change along the way, in 75 they started using a separate wheel tub much like the larger C body. As a side note B body 8 3/4 use ended in 73 , and continued in 74 with both E and C body . 75 was 9 1/4 for all heavy duty use in Mopar car and light duty truck .

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/26/2018 at 4:09 PM, W-409 said:

Just had a second (closer) look on those pics and it looks like you're right. But that makes things a bit easier as I have several that kind of inner wheelhouses in my parts box. Maybe some of them will fit. :P

I'm not a Mopar fan myself, so I'm not going to shoot for 100% accuracy. But the closer I get, the better of course.

Here's the image of the stripped down '77 Dodge Monaco Sedan I meant to post earlier, showing the separate front wheel house John mentioned:

78monacosedan.jpg.d1dbe09bda4320f580cda445ade73a6b.jpg

• 5 years later...
1 hour ago, Darren74 said:

Was the original TJ Hooker CHiPs and Sheriff Roscoe versions sold by Airfix in the UK when both Airfix and MPC was owned by General Mills and Airfix a Palitoy brand

I had the Roscoe police cruiser in an AIrfix wrapper.