Model Cars Magazine Forum

Here's one loaded with parts

This is one of my childhood ones I actually have left after our storm in 2011....It was one of the first ones my dad got me back then.  I have to find some pieces it needs and useable decals yet I never finished it back when I got it as a kid it was a bit too advanced for me then as a new builder with little experience.  If anyone loves crazy wild drag cars its one for your list.  Id love to see many of the old Johans come back..there are many I once had Id like to have again.

12 hours ago, CabDriver said:

Me too!  I'd LOVE one of these at sensible prices!  I wonder if the tooling still exists?

No.

There's a thread on the old JoHan tooling on this very page, but long, convoluted story short, 99%-99.9% of JoHan's tooling is long gone & lost forever. JoHan is not coming back. Ever.

53 minutes ago, THarrison351 said:

Sad, but true apparently. Unless we have been lied to all these years. Most the JoHan tooling was stolen by disgruntled employees over the years. It's too bad because they had some of the best bodies when the existed.

And someone else said that the JoHan molds are still in storage someplace not too long ago. Oh well, I'm not buyin' that story at all.

16 minutes ago, High octane said:

And someone else said that the JoHan molds are still in storage someplace not too long ago. Oh well, I'm not buyin' that story at all.

Nothing wrong with dreaming and hoping. Besides, naysayers also said the tool for the 34 Ford pickup was long lost and guess what.....?

This is a big planet we live on and stuff thought long since scrapped sometimes turns up. Unless you've personally scoured every square inch of it, or witnessed them getting melted down, you can't be any more sure of what's gone as those who wonder what's left! Until we have evidence to prove it, we just don't know.

It's good to have hope. It's called optimism. 

Edited by Oldcarfan27

1 hour ago, Oldcarfan27 said:

Nothing wrong with dreaming and hoping. Besides, naysayers also said the tool for the 34 Ford pickup was long lost and guess what.....?

This is a big planet we live on and stuff thought long since scrapped sometimes turns up. Unless you've personally scoured every square inch of it, or witnessed them getting melted down, you can't be any more sure of what's gone as those who wonder what's left! Until we have evidence to prove it, we just don't know.

It's good to have hope. It's called optimism. 

I look no further than the recent story of "Lil Red'------the supercharged '67 Shelby Mustang everyone thought was long ago scrapped and no longer existed. Well guess what?? Here the car has been sitting in someone's field for the last 50 years when it was overlooked all this time. So yeah, one never knows what's out there till it's discovered, and I'm a big believer in optimism.

And about Johan's bodies............while they were the standard bearer of making the most accurate bodies----long before CAD and other computer doodads, I can think of a few foibles on some of their kits that make you go, hmmmm.......... ;) 

I built the "Haulin Hearse"  Three times over the year's . The last time, I found the kit in a hobby store in Portland Or. in 1982 .

I would L O V E  to see it on store shelf's again. This kit started my life long love of Hearse's .... and led to me Purchasing this in 2002.

DYJqdMJ.jpg?1

I had a L O T of fun with this car.

I'd say it's gotten to the point where it would be more logical to scan original Jo-Han kits, reverse engineer them, and run them through Shapeways than it would be to put any more effort into trying to find molds. Look at the can of worms Moebius got into for attempting to get the '59 Dodge mold - a whole lot of legal and logistical problems that were so tangled that they've never even been disclosed publicly, AFAIK.

Edited by ChrisBcritter

41 minutes ago, ChrisBcritter said:

I'd say it's gotten to the point where it would be more logical to scan original Jo-Han kits, reverse engineer them, and run them through Shapeways that it would be to put any more effort into trying to find molds.

I think you're right. 3D printers will probably be THE most realistic way to reproduce the best parts of Johan's vault of classic kits. But that will probably be sometime in the future, I just hope I'm still around to be able to enjoy it.

Let's just hope there won't be a hodgepodge of legal red tape to jump through to make it happen.

55 minutes ago, Oldcarfan27 said:

I think you're right. 3D printers will probably be THE most realistic way to reproduce the best parts of Johan's vault of classic kits. But that will probably be sometime in the future, I just hope I'm still around to be able to enjoy it.

Let's just hope there won't be a hodgepodge of legal red tape to jump through to make it happen.

I'll keep saying this as I truly believe it................3D printing IS the next frontier in the car model hobby IMO. It just keeps getting better and better, and there's no limit as to what can be created using that tech.