Model Cars Magazine Forum

Salvino's JR Models acquires old Monogram & Revell NASCAR tooling

Brett Barrow

From their email: 

Very Big News!

You may have heard of some very big news from Atlantis Model Co. that they have purchased a considerable portion of the molds for Revell, Monogram, and some of the other Hobbico owned companies from Revell Germany that were stored in Revell’s Elk Grove, IL warehouse. Well we were fortunate enough to work out arrangements with Pete and Rick of Atlantis Model Co. and we are now the proud owners and guardians of the entire catalog of Revell and Monogram’s American made stock car molds from 1980 through the 1990s! In the very near future Salvinos J R Models will be adding these kits into our catalog with new drivers, new decals and some updated bodies to go on these platforms.

Of course, these kits will not replace our original designs; we will continue to produce as many original Salvinos J R Models kits as we had previously planned, but these will be additional as we will continue to supply American made model kits to the collectors! We would very much like to thank Pete and Rick of Atlantis Model Co. for giving us this opportunity to serve the stock car model community of builders and keep this hobby growing.

Don't forget we will be releasing our 1974 and 1977 original Monte Carlo designs in October and another new kit coming in December.

If you haven’t yet, you should order your Donnie Allison Oldsmobile kits, we only have about 25% of the run left and we should be shipping about the third week of September.

Thanks!

Rick and Jim

As always, like and follow us on Facebook!

4 hours ago, bbowser said:

Someone still believes NASCAR kits will sell?  I wish them luck, looking forward to their new stuff!

Hopefully, they'll put out relatively small batches for a little more money, instead of flooding the market for a little less money like in the past.

Some re-releases of a some 80s era cars would be a very good thing.

6 hours ago, bbowser said:

Someone still believes NASCAR kits will sell?  I wish them luck, looking forward to their new stuff!

The 80s kits are the ones that are expensive and hard to come by, the most recent reissue of any of them was in 1998, with a few others in 1994. Some of the stuff hasn't been seen since the 80s like the Olds Delta 88, Olds Cutlass Supreme and the later 80s Regal.

As much as I hate the idea of Monogram-Revell going under, at least it sounds like these molds are going to a good place. On top of that it seems like they lost interest in the NASCAR kits anyway, so maybe we'll get some cool reissues of old kits with new decals. I've lost interest in current NASCAR, but I will buy classic kits with new or different decals.

• 2 weeks later...

It’s nothing but a good thing that the molds for these kits have moved on to people who have an interest in the subject and the imagination to do more with them than straight reissues! Looking forward to Salvino JR kits as a whole including their own tooled kits( they will only get better and the first one wasn’t all that bad despite what’s been said) ! It’s good to be a NASCAR modeller once again!

• 1 year later...
On 9/11/2018 at 2:58 PM, Dragonhawk1066 said:

It will be interesting to see what drivers/paint schemes might be introduced in these re-issues.

I'm guessing these? I don't follow NASCAR nor which new kits JR Salvinos is releasing, but the vintage Monogram kits were well engineered from what I recall. These all appear to be original Monogram kits with new decals?

1.jpg

11.jpg

111.jpg

1111.jpg

On 12/13/2019 at 12:56 AM, Casey said:

I'm guessing these? I don't follow NASCAR nor which new kits JR Salvinos is releasing, but the vintage Monogram kits were well engineered from what I recall. These all appear to be original Monogram kits with new decals?

1.jpg

11.jpg

111.jpg

1111.jpg

Kind of. While it's great to see these 70's and 80's kits, I was thinking more along the lines of the 90's to the 2000's on into and past the COT's. I do realize now that the 90's are a dime a dozen and make absolutely no sense to re-issue, but I think the 2000's and COT's have enough builder interest to warrant a simple re-issue, especially the Intrepids/Chargers and most recent Grand Prix's, at least from what I've seen on the facebook modeling pages. The COT's, and the Impalas, Chevy SS, and Fusions that followed them, from what I've seen, or rather not seen, seem virtually non-existent. Those particular kits really seem to be hot commodities when they can be found, so I wonder if they would make any kind of sense to re-issue. Just one man's opinion/guess/hope.

2 hours ago, Chris in Berwyn said:

The press release says they only got molds of cars through the ‘90s. 

2 hours ago, Dave Van said:

Salvinos did not get any tooling that was cut in China.  That tooling is co-owned by the Chinese Govt.  So the last Monte Carlo, Dodge,  Taurus and GP kits are still in China and Revell only has access to them. 

Great bits of info. Thanks Chris and Dave!

My thoughts?  Just keep producing a good kit at a reasonable price. Living on a retired budget, I want to keep modeling, but as with everything else in the world, inflation will hit us where it hurts the most...in the back pocket. I love the "old" school NASCAR kits.  One I would like to see is the Aero Coupe Chevy....that's a great looking race car!  Without going into great detail, I would also like to see kits that are generic in nature...no decals, just a plain white kit for a good price that I can get my own decals for whatever driver I want to replicate. Seems that would in a way keep costs down....just my thoughts!!!

5 hours ago, Mikey56 said:

My thoughts?  Just keep producing a good kit at a reasonable price. Living on a retired budget, I want to keep modeling, but as with everything else in the world, inflation will hit us where it hurts the most...in the back pocket. I love the "old" school NASCAR kits.  One I would like to see is the Aero Coupe Chevy....that's a great looking race car!  Without going into great detail, I would also like to see kits that are generic in nature...no decals, just a plain white kit for a good price that I can get my own decals for whatever driver I want to replicate. Seems that would in a way keep costs down....just my thoughts!!!

I agree completely.

I check Mike's all the time...with Salvinos having the molds for the older kits, I think it would make sense for them to produce the kits and not have to undergo all the licensing issues with decals and such. Saving this money by not including the decals, maybe they could pass the savings on to us. Then we could go to Mike's and get the decals that we would like to have.

All I'm looking for is a decent kit at a decent price. I love modeling, but the way the prices keep going, it's not to far off in the future when I will have to call it quits. When kit prices start getting outrageous, then it's time for me to look in a different direction. I can see a "plain jane" kit going for like $20 to $25 and that would be a reasonable price.  Plus, with the way their other kits are looking, they can ask for the slightly higher price because of the agreements that they need to market the kits with decals and sponsors.

I'll support any company that supports the modeling industry to reign in the costs and still provide modelers with a good product. But like a company that I used to do business with, when I order a piece for $10 yesterday and today it's up to $25....that's when I stop doing business with them. I'll fab my own parts/pieces to save the cost of what they want.