Model Cars Magazine Forum

Rider

10 hours ago, mustang1989 said:

Dang there's lots of modding going on in this build. Will be watching this one!

Thanks for watching. I really appreciate the interest. 

It started as a simple paint job, lol.

Edited by Rider

15 minutes ago, mustang1989 said:

Man have I ever been there and done that!!!

Too many times for many of us. I keep having ideas to accentuate the body lines with little styling ques from the TV car. Then the reality sets in on how long those mods would take. 

I still have a couple other things I will do. 

Edited by Rider

More styling mods. 

The rear fenders always looked unfinished to me, too flat. In an attempt to tie the rear fenders in with the rest of the car I have added a styling lip. I used .015x.080 for tha base of the lip, then laid .020 hex over that, I tried round .020  but it looked to baulkie.

Pictures pretty muchh speak for themselves. The last pic was taken after a few coats of primer filler, which was laid down after a minor scraping of the lip to give it a bit of an angle. As the filler dries it will naturally set in a radius shape. No idea how many coats this will take but I have all day. 

Thanks for looking in. All comment welcome good or bad. 

IMG_5456.PNG

IMG_5447.JPG

IMG_5449.JPG

IMG_5444.JPG

Edited by Rider
Proof re-read, iPad auto correct is junk.

3 hours ago, Rider said:

More styling mods. 

The rear fenders always looked unfinished to me, too flat. In an attempt to tie the rear fenders in with the rest of the car I have added a styling lip. I used .015x.080 for tha base of the lip, then laid .020 hex over that, I tried round .020  but it looked to baulkie.

Pictures pretty I have speak for themselves. The last pic was taken after a few coats of primer filler, which was laid down after a minor scraping of the lip to give it a bit of an angle. As the filler dries it will naturally set in a radius shape. No idea how many coats this will take but I have all day. 

Thanks for looking in. All comment welcome good or bad. 

IMG_5456.PNG

IMG_5447.JPG

IMG_5449.JPG

IMG_5444.JPG

BRILLIANT addition!!!....looks 10x's better!!

Both rear fenders lips are now filled, final sanding and shaping to blend into the bottom of the panel to finish them off.

Onto the front end. . My original plan was to simply lay panels on the fenders to give some depth,  they are so long and flat they need something to break them up. As you can see from the pic I decided to scribe a panel in each. One done onto the nex one. I made a template then used 3m Super 77 to temporarily fasten it in place to be used as a guide. This is a slow arduous  process, taking me about 2hrs. 

Thanks for looking in.

IMG_5511.JPG

IMG_5512.JPG

On 2018-09-29 at 9:11 AM, James2 said:

Very nice body work...

Thanks

On 2018-09-29 at 10:44 AM, Dann Tier said:

This is moving along beautifully!!, and that's a BRILLIANT idea about affixing the template with the adhesive!!

Thanks Dann, it works really well, especially when doing compound curves. 

Front fender panel srcibing is now complete. I have a long way to go before my lines are show quality, well not so much the lines as the outside corners. I need to make a teenie-tiny .010' chisel just for doing the 90deg corners. So hard not to over scribe and creat a mess. All in all I am please with how they turned out. Given they will be hidden under a few coats of poly-U clear I am not too concerned.

I started the build up on the rear fenders today in order to create the flare out like the front fenders. I didn't really have a plan just kinda winged it as I went. I still have the other side to do. 

You can see what I mean about the front fenders lower flares in the last picture. I will try my best to replicate that look. 

Oh, and the hood scoop is now attached. I nixxed the idea to sculpt the front of it like the TV car, too much work. 

Thanks for looking in on the progress. Again all comments welcome.

IMG_5514.JPG

IMG_5515.JPG

IMG_5517.JPG

Edited by Rider

13 hours ago, Rider said:

Thanks

Thanks Dann, it works really well, especially when doing compound curves. 

Front fender panel srcibing is now complete. I have a long way to go before my lines are show quality, well not so much the lines as the outside corners. I need to make a teenie-tiny .010' chisel just for doing the 90deg corners. So hard not to over scribe and creat a mess. All in all I am please with how they turned out. Given they will be hidden under a few coats of poly-U clear I am not too concerned.

I started the build up on the rear fenders today in order to create the flare out like the front fenders. I didn't really have a plan just kinda winged it as I went. I still have the other side to do. 

You can see what I mean about the front fenders lower flares in the last picture. I will try my best to replicate that look. 

Oh, and the hood scoop is now attached. I nixxed the idea to sculpt the front of it like the TV car, too much work. 

Thanks for looking in on the progress. Again all comments welcome.

IMG_5514.JPG

IMG_5515.JPG

IMG_5517.JPG

Another BRILLIANT personal touch, that actually makes the original design flow better!!

• 2 weeks later...
On 2018-10-01 at 8:51 AM, Dann Tier said:

Another BRILLIANT personal touch, that actually makes the original design flow better!!

Thanks Dan, this design does seem have some room for some artistic 'growth' if you will. This build is on the back burner while I mess around with the Merc. 

• 4 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

Now that I have a working bench some what sorted out, as promised, the Batmobile  is now back on the bench. 

The small side port windows have been closed off, the gas cap holes will also be filled. I also changed  the turbine intake, the bulbous nose cone thing on the original just look goofy. 

I decided to do the lower kick outs on the right fenders different then how I did the left side. Pictures explain. 

Thanks for lookng in.

IMG_5996.JPG

IMG_5997.JPG

IMG_5998.JPG

IMG_5999.JPG