Model Cars Magazine Forum

Reworking Maisto 1/24 pan head Harley into service car

GLMFAA1

Another project is I want to take the Maisto 1/24th '48 Harley cycle and make a service car. Has anyone done this and if so, I would like to know how. I have searched for dimensions and found vague numbers, In my research I found out that the brakes were Jeep parts so I plan on using some MPC jeep parts. Any help appreciated

greg

They make them but they can be tough to find.  They were available maybe about 10 years ago in many chain stores, but then they seemed to disappear.  Still saw the 1/18 ones though.

Recently my local Meijer stores suddenly had them again, so I got a bunch of them.  If you have any interest in getting them and spot them in a store, grab them while you can.  No telling whether or not you'll see them again.

On ‎10‎/‎26‎/‎2018 at 8:27 AM, randyc said:

1/24 or 1/18?  I haven't seen a 1/24 Maisto Harley.  Doesn't mean they don't exist, just that I haven't seen one.  Good luck with it.

Randy, I bought these several years ago and for the life of me can't remember where I got the 1/24 Maistos but I think I got the Moto Guzzi online.

100_1105.JPG.479ac5896f0307943ebf8fc788b78f4f.JPG

Maisto  Harley Davidson No. 1 1903
Maisto  Harley Davidson EL Knucklehead 1936
Maisto  Harley Davidson FL Panhead 1948
Maisto  Harley Davidson FL Panhead 1948
Maisto  Harley Davidson Heritage Springer 1997
Starline Models Moto Guzzi Airone Sport

I just got a Summit Racing Christmas catalog in the mail. They have three 1/24 truck/cycle combos at $25-$26, so these might be Maistos. 

'48 Ford F-1+'58 Duo Glide

'50 Chevy 3100+2001 Heritage Springer

'99 Ford F-350+'38 Knucklehead

They also show several 1/24 trailers from $17.99-$20.99: Tear Drop (w/bicycle and kayak), Shasta Airflyte, Airstream Bambi, Winnebago. 

In addition to the Maisto 1/24 Harleys listed, I have these.  Wal-Mart put these Maistos on clearance a few years ago and I bought a bunch. Recently picked up a few more in a mixed lot of model stuff:

1962 FLH Duo-Glide

1968 FLH Electra-Glide

2000 FLSTF Street Stalker

2000 FLTRSEI Screamin' Eagle Road Glide

Hallmark has done several Harley Christmas-tree ornaments that are 1/24 scale or close to it.  In 2013 the ornament was a modern Harley Street Trike, which is what a modern Service Car would look like, I guess.  You can see its "hanger" in the middle of the seat.  I found one at a flea market not long ago. Pic from the internet:

har_trike.jpg

OK, I got a Maisto 1/18th scale '48 service car and I would like to scale off of it down to 1/25th.

I grew up between old math and new math so I am terrible at math. My mind says I divide 18 by 25  and I get .72 or 72%

so any measurement I take off the service car I just reduce by 72% and I should have the right size. Does that sound right?

greg

• 1 month later...

Back when the Maisto 1/24 scale Harley Davidsons first came out, I went nuts on them and, bought all I could...so much in fact that I started getting multiple copies just so the store would get new shipments and I could buy all the series, filling out my collection. Well, it took many years and in the process of acquiring this collection...I started modifying the multiples that I had piling up, building different variations and models, I’ve even done bikes with scratch built sidecars and also that servi-car. I don’t have pics of it on my iPad but, I do have pics of most of my bikes on my Facebook page if you’re interested, and I believe all my albums are public. Feel free to check them out! My Facebook page is Brian D. Nevitt.