Forum will be Offline for Server Maintenance ×
Model Cars Magazine Forum

'33 Willys Gasser

dodgefever

I'm building this for the TRaK Autorama.  Base kit is the AMT '33 Willys, but I'm only using the frame and front suspension.   The unchopped body,  hood, and front wheels came from Ed Fluck at Drag City Casting. Rear wheels and tyres are from the new tool Revell '41 Willys and the rear axle is a resin copy I made from an AMT '62 Pontiac.  The original plan was to use the blown small block from the old tool Revell '57 Chevy, shown here. 

33willys01-vi.jpg

That plan didn't last long...  I switched to an Olds engine from the old tool SWC Willys.  The rear wheels and tyres were also changed to M&H piecrust slicks with 4 hole wheels from the Ivo Showboat.

33willys02-vi.jpg

Headers are made from 2mm Plastruct rod with collectors formed from .010" sheet. 

33willys06-vi.jpg

I was scratch building ladder bars, but that was too much like hard work, so now I'm using the old tool SWC ladder bars, which have since been shortened about 3/8". 

33willys07-vi.jpg

So, that's where I'm up to.  Comments welcome.

• 1 month later...
29 minutes ago, chris chabre said:

drag city castings is Eds business. Lowcab36@epix.net  is his email

here is the page to see his parts/bodies etc

https://public.fotki.com/drasticplasticsmcc/member_dealer_directory/drag-city-casting-/

It says: 

None of the '33 Willys bodies are currently available at this time. The only bodies currently available are the Hugh Tucker '28 Chevy roadster, '41 Willys pickup cab, and the chopped '34 Ford 5 window coupe body.

22 hours ago, Snake45 said:

It says: 

None of the '33 Willys bodies are currently available at this time. The only bodies currently available are the Hugh Tucker '28 Chevy roadster, '41 Willys pickup cab, and the chopped '34 Ford 5 window coupe body.

Id drop Ed an email, hes very good about replying. We speak a few times a week actually. Really nice guy

Drag City Casting is still in business! Ed makes awesome resin...but the menu shifts with time, as molds wear out and demand for old products wanes. Every so often he'll bring a retired product back, like the '34 Ford body etc,  so definitely keep an eye out as he brings new parts online.

There is also a Drag City Casting Facebook page now, and it will have more up-to-date information on that stuff.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...