Model Cars Magazine Forum

1974 Corvette Resto------Update! 12/31/18

MrObsessive

48 minutes ago, AMC ROB said:

Stunning! And thanks for noting that you use chamois! I have been using a microfiber cloth, myself, but will try a chamois. Quick question that you may have covered in a different post: how/where do you store/protect your finished builds? These are museum quality IMO and this Corvette is just awesome!

Rob, I try to get cases for each of them.........the Corvette will be no exception as I got a case for it a few weeks ago at the club meeting. It'll end up on the shelf such as here............

5c23c0c1c32e1_OldCoxBell47Copter.thumb.JPG.249955cae9625d21e9080bbdbbcdd3b4.JPG

I have other places in my house that they'll go once I run out of room which is happening. As some know, I've got nosy cats and keeping them in cases and out of reach of them is an absolute MUST! :D

This is in my model/build room where I keep the door shut unless I'm in there. I made the mistake of leaving the door open for only five minutes to get something downstairs------about five minutes later I heard something crashing and sure enough, one of the models was on the floor. No damage was done, but it's automatic for me to shut the door behind me when I leave the room.

On ‎11‎/‎22‎/‎2018 at 3:04 AM, MrObsessive said:

8-Track Player! Haven't seen one of those in YEARS!

I can imagine this car playing Gordon Lightfoot's "Sundown" which came out in the middle of that year. Hughes Corporation "Rock The Boat" would sound pretty good too! :D

whoa what a flash back I just had reading those songs my mind tripped back to those golden years lmao . my parents had those songs on 8-track (I think ) and I know they had the player in the car because I own the car today and the radio is somewhere in my garage. but that vette looks  great cant wait til   you get it done

Michael

On 26.12.2018 at 10:05 AM, MrObsessive said:

Just for those wondering, this is what I use not only for polishing, but also to handle the model when it comes time for those final details.

Nothing drives me crazier than to have  fingerprints or worse yet, paint wearing away due to sweaty hands and the oils that are in your skin. Good 'ole chamois cloths which you can pick up at most auto parts places.

P1016547-vi.jpg

I handle my "final-stage" or completed builds using those white cotton gloves. They come very cheap and allow for good control of handling the model. The Corvette looks great by the way, Bill! 

Looks great Bill!  Don't know why but I hadn't seen this thread before. So I read every entry this morning with my coffee.  What a great read!

And think about the irony of destiny... that this mere average model would somehow fall into the hands of Bill Geary who would transform it into the Cinderella of model cars! 

4 hours ago, Tom Geiger said:

Looks great Bill!  Don't know why but I hadn't seen this thread before. So I read every entry this morning with my coffee.  What a great read!

And think about the irony of destiny... that this mere average model would somehow fall into the hands of Bill Geary who would transform it into the Cinderella of model cars! 

Why thanks Tom! I consider that a real compliment! :lol:

Just some small details to take care of........went in to work early this morning for double time, so I'll try to see what I can do today and maybe have all this wrapped up by the weekend. I might have to swipe the outside mirror out of the Revell '69 kit-----I could make one, but I want to get this done before the bell rings in 2019. That way I can know I got at least one done this year!

6 hours ago, Tommy124 said:

I handle my "final-stage" or completed builds using those white cotton gloves. They come very cheap and allow for good control of handling the model. The Corvette looks great by the way, Bill! 

Thanks Thomas! I've tried to use those gloves in the past, but they tend to be a bit tight on my hands and they also made the model feel 'slippery' especially after it's been waxed up. The chamois cloth because it's actually like 'skin' tends to give me more grip-------something I definitely need while on the home stretch! :D

• 1 year later...
On 11/22/2018 at 12:04 AM, MrObsessive said:

8-Track Player! Haven't seen one of those in YEARS!

I can imagine this car playing Gordon Lightfoot's "Sundown" which came out in the middle of that year. Hughes Corporation "Rock The Boat" would sound pretty good too! :D

Anything that was played on Casey Kasem's American Top 40

"And coming in at number one this week..."

With the song's intro playing in the background

"with his third single this year to climb to the top spot; Barry White with You're My Everything"

• 5 months later...

Bill, are the rally wheels on your '74 Corvette original MPC issue ('68-'74) tooling; or from a different source? At first glance they appear to be original MPC wheels; but the outer rim is what's throwing me off here. They almost appear to have a bevel in them; which the original ones do not; but sometimes the reflections can play tricks on you! LOL!  Ed

Ed, those wheels came from another source. The originals to my eyes had vinyl tire damage at the rims (a couple of them). I remember getting them off of someone on eBay, but they could be from the reissued '75. I can't remember if they said which year they were from when I bought 'em.

1 hour ago, MrObsessive said:

Ed, those wheels came from another source. The originals to my eyes had vinyl tire damage at the rims (a couple of them). I remember getting them off of someone on eBay, but they could be from the reissued '75. I can't remember if they said which year they were from when I bought 'em.

Thanks for the lead Bill! I'll track down some photos of the reissued '75 and see if they look the same. At least I now know my eye wasn't lying and they are different than the rally wheels found in the '68-'74 annuals that I have!

4 hours ago, krassandbernie said:

Bill, are the rally wheels on your '74 Corvette original MPC issue ('68-'74) tooling; or from a different source? At first glance they appear to be original MPC wheels; but the outer rim is what's throwing me off here. They almost appear to have a bevel in them; which the original ones do not; but sometimes the reflections can play tricks on you! LOL!  Ed

They look very much like the AMT 1970 Monte Carlo (1998 issue and later) I can’t see if Bill’s has the valve stems. The outer edge is beveled.

image.thumb.jpg.b89cb6466edecffb425b71204d347d1e.jpg

2 hours ago, Superbird McMonte said:

They look very much like the AMT 1970 Monte Carlo (1998 issue and later) I can’t see if Bill’s has the valve stems. The outer edge is beveled.

image.thumb.jpg.b89cb6466edecffb425b71204d347d1e.jpg

I would have noted the valve stems right off if the ones Bill used had them; which is part of the reason I initially thought they were original MPC rally wheels. I also never had the Monte Carlo kit; so this is the first time I have seen or taken notice of the rally wheels in this kit. Thanks for sharing the info/pics Dominick!

Bill, I forgot to ask you about the origins of the tires? They look just like the Goodyears found in the mid year MPC Corvette kits with the exception of having the thin white walls. Mine are all black walls; while the '68-'72 (?) annuals have the older Goodyear thin white wall tires that MPC was putting in their kits prior. Did you paint the white walls on, use the stick-on ones, or are these Modelhaus tires? I read through your entire thread; but might have missed this detail if you mentioned it.

2 hours ago, krassandbernie said:

Bill, I forgot to ask you about the origins of the tires? They look just like the Goodyears found in the mid year MPC Corvette kits with the exception of having the thin white walls. Mine are all black walls; while the '68-'72 (?) annuals have the older Goodyear thin white wall tires that MPC was putting in their kits prior. Did you paint the white walls on, use the stick-on ones, or are these Modelhaus tires? I read through your entire thread; but might have missed this detail if you mentioned it.

Tires are the same as what came with the builtup when I got it from the seller off the 'Bay. Since the wheels couldn't be salvaged (I wasn't going to go through too much hassle with this one), I figured whatever MPC rally wheels would work, should fit those tires.

8 hours ago, MrObsessive said:

Tires are the same as what came with the builtup when I got it from the seller off the 'Bay. Since the wheels couldn't be salvaged (I wasn't going to go through too much hassle with this one), I figured whatever MPC rally wheels would work, should fit those tires.

O.k...........that just tells me that MPC likely offered a white wall version of these tires since all of mine are black walls in my annuals. I thought perhaps you could note if the white walls appeared to be original to the tire, or added by paint or stick-on? Now I am curious to know what MPC kits might have had these tires in white wall form!

I just took a look at all three of my MPC '74 coupes (only looked in one kit previously); and I found that one of the three had the same white wall Goodyears pictured here on your project Bill. The other two kits had the same tires but they were black wall only. The kit with the white wall version was opened/unstarted like the other two; but the tires were bagged by someone at some point so I cannot say if they are original to the kit or not. The disheartening thing here is that this set of white wall tires has something funky going on. They look like a rainbow oil slick in the light. Apparently they've been leaching something for years since a scrub with a toothbrush and Dawn in warm water did nothing to improve their appearance.