Model Cars Magazine Forum

The Assassin AA/FD - Built

jlucky

So contrary to what you might think I have been busy…completed a few cars since the last posting…but this is an important one for me…and a challenging one too.

It’s the Assassin AA/FD!

I attended my first drag race in September of 1968 in Saskatoon and at that race there were five AA/Fuel Dragsters and one funny car. This was a really big deal. One of the dragsters was Jim Crooke’s Assassin from Seattle. It was a beautiful full-bodied car designed by master builder Tom Hanna and it’s always been my ambition to recreate the car in 1/25th scale. There were plenty of road-bumps in the way such as not having the right body style, not having the decals, not having reference photos and perhaps the scariest of all not having the adequate model building skills.

Over the years each of these “road-bumps” disappeared. The re-released Tommy Ivo kit allowed for a pretty close proper body, Slixx released their gasser decal sets and two of them by chance had the right decals, they restored the original car so I had lots reference material including dozens of my own photos. The weakest link continued to be my building skills but we soldiered on.

I used most of the Ivo kit as far as chassis and back half of the body. The front nose piece comes from the Altered States resin high-back body and the motor is a Ford 427 SOHC from my parts box. One of the big challenges for me was painting. It took me quite some time to figure out the easiest and safest way for me to replicate The Assassin’s colour scheme. I laid down the gold base, masked it off and shot it with transparent candy-apple red and then used white decal film to put in the white accents. It’s not perfect by any stretch but it turned out not bad. From a distance it actually looks pretty good. The engine was plumbed with fuel lines and ignition wires, using Detail Master fittings and MAD prewired ignition.

All in all I’m really happy with the way it turned out. It will find a celebrated spot in my dragster history shelf.

Jerry Lucky

Assassin Build 8.JPG

Assassin Build 10.JPG

Assassin Build 12.JPG

Assassin Build 13.JPG

Assassin Build 14.JPG

10 hours ago, Mr mopar said:

nice ...... I seen the restored car few years ago Awesome !

Yours look just like the restored car.

I have also seen it in person, beautiful car. I also liked the Ranchero that was with this car, that had a SOHC engine it.  

• 2 weeks later...