Model Cars Magazine Forum

What do you get when you cross a Johan 72 Torino and a 79 Coupe de Ville?

Paul Hettick

The rough start on a 77- 79 Thunderbird master. I located a 78 Bird to measure and made scale drawings. The wheel was done by 3D printing. The roof was quite the challenge but am quite happy with the results. Next is to cut out the upper trunk lid and fab one from evergreen. Then the upper forward portion of the doors and front fenders. I wanted to used the Revell Torino as a base but the wheelbase was not correct and that would have thrown everything off.

DSCF7271.JPG

DSCF7269.JPG

DSCF7270.JPG

DSCF7272.JPG

Oooh Ooooh!! I'm DEFINITELY watching this one!! One of my FAVORITE cars of the '70's and one that shocked buddies of mine along with myself when this first came out!

The Torino's wheelbase is off? I thought they were the same wheelbases during those years, but Revell may have their measurements off too.

Interesting enough, I thought about doing this sort of conversion for the longest time, but using the Torino mostly as a base. Everything else would have been fabbed out of sheet plastic, but using the basic 'bones' from the Torino.

Keep us posted Paul!

57 minutes ago, Snake45 said:

If you have no further use for the JoHan Torino's taillights, I know someone who's been looking for a set of them. 

I could use 'em, Ill trade you or pay your postage. Please PM me.

I wish I could have hit you up for the scooped hood before it was ground off. I have the smooth one from the racer version and I've been looking for one of those for awhile now.

I would buy a kit of this car the moment one became available.

My first car was a 1978 Thunderbird. Dark metallic brown, brown vinyl roof, brown interior, spoke hubcaps, whitewalls, 400ci V8 with a 4-barrel added. 

I know Lindberg made a 1/32 version, but good luck finding one.

Watching this for sure!

14 hours ago, iamsuperdan said:

I would buy a kit of this car the moment one became available.

My first car was a 1978 Thunderbird. Dark metallic brown, brown vinyl roof, brown interior, spoke hubcaps, whitewalls, 400ci V8 with a 4-barrel added. 

I know Lindberg made a 1/32 version, but good luck finding one.

Watching this for sure!

I have the lindberg tbird still sealed if someone could blow up the body and bumpers to 1/25 scale id gladly sacrifice it