Forum will be Offline for Server Maintenance ×
Model Cars Magazine Forum

Post retirement modeling

I'm 64 and I just started collecting my SS bennies. I also went to semi retirement at 32 hours a week. It's a bit over the limit as to what I'm allowed to make but I still get paid vacation. I do not know how long I will stay at my job...that just depends on so much. I want to eventually live somewhere in a mobile home in a semi rural setting. I've been thinking of Tennessee, but I might stay in Wisconsin too. Got lotsa model kits in the stash.

I retired about 2 years ago after 35 years with a large company, basically forced out due to new local management and corporate politics but I got a full pension w/insurance  so I can't complain too much.  As far as modeling it's about the same, seems like I'm busier now with other outside stuff and "honey do's" than I was when "on the clock"! There's always something to do. Good interesting thread. Thanks!

Edited by FordRodnKustom

Ive got a few years before retirement yet. ( about 6 min and 10  max depending on my health )

We recently moved to southern AZ this past summer ( decided to make the move now as opposed to retirement time.)

I landed a job at the Tucson Airport ( aka state retirement benefits to help with SS )

Wife god landed a job making 10K more than back in KY.  This past Sept we purchased a townhouse / investment property / future retirement residence . Plan was live here till we get acclimated to the area . BUT,

Just last weekend we put an actual house under contract, hope to close on it by the end of the month. 

Also Looking to purchase an old car next spring maybe,,early summer at the latest . So life is good.  Im sure I'll tinker at the model bench a little here and there But Im afraid model cars will probably take a back seat for a while

Once moved in and settled I plan to dig thru , sort out and  go thru the stash and do some major  house cleaning / thinning down big time . 

Edited by gtx6970

Yes we are looking to sell our split level 4 bed house in a close of 7 in our small town. Were looking for what they now call here a 'future proof' property, in other words a bungalow, so just one level to deal with and just two bedrooms. We are both 70 years old with no health issues but are hoping to do the move now while we can. We also have the same problem as Bill, tons of 'stuff' to get through. 

Although our to boys (48 & 50) have flown the nest, one to Canada, we still have a lot of their bits and pieces to sort out and getting them to understand that bit as we are 'downsizing' is difficult. We have a number of self store places (but most are container with no heating) so that might be an option with them paying for it! 

Edited by PatW

I'm 75...in 2017 I had a lung infection, lost a son to suicide, was hospitalized for an aortic abdominal aneurism, survived a hurricane, and had cancer surgery for a node in my right lung. I haven't built a model in over two years.

With that in mind, I think you also must take into consideration the lessening of skills, eyesight, hand/eye coordination as you grow older, as well as other factors such as emphysema and Parkinson's Disease.

All of those grand and glorious financial plans fall flat if you're not physically or emotionally capable of performing the tasks!  I have no credit card debt or car payments...just the mortgage and I can handle that. Building models is another thing...I now have to set aside time for working on models...not exactly how I had anticipated my retirement.

Take care of your health first...the financial aspects mean nothing if you can't enjoy them.

Edited by BigTallDad

11 minutes ago, NYLIBUD said:

Why is it,that building models became a task?Its your hobby.Its supposed to be for your enjoyment,wether you are retired or not.

Mode; building can be as task, but it all depends how far one wants to go in building a certain model. If a person wants to build a "perfect model" which there isn't any, he may have so many dollars, time, scratch building, into that one model it's more like a chore to build that kit rather than something that's enjoyable to build. Some builders take their skills to the "next level" while others may just ad plug wires, a nice paint job, neat assembly, and call it a day. I build for "Myself" in my own "comfort zone" and enjoy sharing my builds at the two model car clubs I belong to. I no longer build to enter contests as I'm no longer a trophy hound. I take all the time I need (which is often too much ) to build a model and ad as little or as much detail as I care to put into that particular build. I build for the enjoyment of it just like I did back in the late 50's and early 60's.

Again glad to see additional input on this subject. My personal opinion is that we should all build to suit ourselves rather than let another builder's superior skills deter us from building what we like when like. That opinion along with that of other like minded friends was one of the basic things we wanted to accomplish when we founded the NNL in my garage in 1980. We had all been witness to builders waiting in line to enter the MPC contests series not being sure if they were going to take their models out of the boxes and actually enter the contest untill they looked to see what the other models looked like. Then if the rest of the models being entered " were not too good " they would put theirs out. We figured if there was a way to take the competition out of model building and put the fun back into it the hobby would be all the better for it. Evidently that worked as we're still at it 40 years later.

That basic fact should still effect our post retirement modeling. Build what you like as you are able and as you want it to look and be proud of what you've done. Do what you can the best you can while you can.

I'll be 72 in April and have been "retired" since 2009.  There are times when I build like gangbusters every day...... and then weeks or even months can go by without ever touching a model.  It depends on my mood, or inspiration at the time.  I sometimes get overwhelmed by looking at the "pile" of unbuilt models and wonder how many of them I will actually get around to working on. 

My current goal is building all of the cars from the 1950's that I can using whatever plastic kits, resin kits, promos and diecasts that I can get my hands on.  I must have between 50 to 75 cars in the "pile" to be worked on....... a daunting task.

I do the best I can when the right urge or mood strikes. 

Fascinating thread; thanks for posing the question, Tom.  

After well over three decades in the auto industry, I was considering retiring for several years before actually pulling the plug.  At one point, Tom (who at that point had just recently retired himself) told me one of the biggest changes vs. the working years was sometimes waking up and not exactly knowing which day of the week it was.  I have experienced that myself a number of times after finally retiring five years ago after 35.5 years at Ford, and working another eight years of part time jobs before that including high school and college jobs.  

Of course, I still do magazine articles and to a little bit of an extent that is work, but it is also a really good motivator to get in the shop and pound/paint some plastic.  The book project (Collecting Muscle Car Model Kits") was the exception; that was pretty much of a 30+hour a week job for nine months last year.   

As several of you have done, during the first month after the big day, I sat down and inventoried my partially built projects.  As I recall (now five years later) it was around 65 partially finished projects.  Nearly all of those are still partially finished (little or no progress) but a few have made it to the finish line, along with many other new projects that started after that date.

And like others have mentioned, I am amazed at how my time gets eaten up with other things, most especially, household tasks, upgrades, and repairs.  I had largely ignored my the new home during my working years, and now have finally completed many long-planned tasks and repairs, along with some much needed remodeling and updates.  And I have much more time to share on the various model car forums; I have learned so much more about our hobby and those that love it from my participation here/there.  Thank you all for that!    

Overall, I am glad to read of your continued enthusiasm for modeling, and the various ways each of you interact with the hobby and find joy doing so.  And for those of you facing health and other challenges, let's keep you in our thoughts and our prayers.   

TIM