Model Cars Magazine Forum

Paint paint paint lets talk paint

OK here is my next comparison question, I've always built out of the box plastic kits and pretty much have stuck with testors spray cans because a few attempts away from them have gone really bad. So now I want to go beyond that, I have an automotive history in I painted cars for about 15 years and had 3 years of school in auto body repair so I have airbrushes and spray guns. I also understand lacquers and enamels and so on. I've used Dupli-color paints painting dash pieces in cars and like working with there product, so here is my question, what do you guys use and is dupli-color a usable product for this if I want to go with spray cans.

I primarily use Tamiya paints. For the most part I use their spray cans. I have thinned their bottle paints to use with my air brush. Also Model Master spray paints because of the color range offered. I will use Dupli-color primers when working with Resin bodies. Many builders here get much more involved with various brands and types of paints, but I think it's just what ever works best for you and gives you the finish you're looking for.  

4 minutes ago, Miatatom said:

...why use spray cans when you have all the equipment to air brush the paint on?

Maybe because sometimes, it's just less a PITA.

Though I have about every type of spray equipment known to man, including a stand-alone HVLP rig, sometimes rattlecans get the job done without a whole lot of extra mucking around.

And that said, yes, Tamiya is generally great stuff...and some other spray cans will accept the Tamiya nozzles.

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

21 minutes ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

Though I have about every type of spray equipment known to man, including a stand-alone HVLP rig, sometimes rattlecans get the job done without a whole lot of extra mucking around.

That is exactly why rattle cans, that hood looks great and polished will be awesome. That is why I want to use the dupli-color I've worked with it like it and know what I can get out of it as well as a lot of local places to get it. I'll have to check out the Tamiya also.

4 hours ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

I'm with you on that. I do the same thing. I've seen people post that they airbrush every part. That's a lot of work but some of the finished models I've  seen posted here look like they've received that level of effort.

6 hours ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

And that said, yes, Tamiya is generally great stuff...and some other spray cans will accept the Tamiya nozzles.

My thoughts exactly.

I use Duplicolor nearly anytime that I will be using a basic solid color, like white, red, black, etc.

For metallic colors, I usually shy away from Duplicolor paints mainly because the metallic particles are out of scale.

That and the fact that I can get correct colors of MCW paints that are not available in Duplicolor.

There is nothing I hate more than having to pick a color based on what's available in a can.

MCW carries hundreds of factory correct colors and will custom mixed those that they do not.

That being said, there is nothing wrong with Duplicolor paints.

I use some of their colors as well as primers & clear coat.

These models were all shot with Duplicolor paint straight from the can.

Steve

2v23EkcHyxwUbWP.jpg

2v23EkAEnxwUbWP.jpg

2v23cjg3yxwUbWP.jpg

2v2UmJSSjxwUbWP.jpg

2v29hKsJrxwUbWP.jpg

2v2EuCosyxwUbWP.jpg

14 hours ago, StevenGuthmiller said:

I use Duplicolor nearly anytime that I will be using a basic solid color, like white, red, black, etc.

For metallic colors, I usually shy away from Duplicolor paints mainly because the metallic particles are out of scale.

That and the fact that I can get correct colors of MCW paints that are not available in Duplicolor.

There is nothing I hate more than having to pick a color based on what's available in a can.

MCW carries hundreds of factory correct colors and will custom mixed those that they do not.

That being said, there is nothing wrong with Duplicolor paints.

I use some of their colors as well as primers & clear coat.

These models were all shot with Duplicolor paint straight from the can.

Steve

2v23EkcHyxwUbWP.jpg

2v23EkAEnxwUbWP.jpg

2v23cjg3yxwUbWP.jpg

2v2UmJSSjxwUbWP.jpg

2v29hKsJrxwUbWP.jpg

2v2EuCosyxwUbWP.jpg

Your paint work and your models have always been outstanding.   

22 hours ago, SCRWDRVR said:

OK here is my next comparison question, I've always built out of the box plastic kits and pretty much have stuck with testors spray cans because a few attempts away from them have gone really bad. So now I want to go beyond that, I have an automotive history in I painted cars for about 15 years and had 3 years of school in auto body repair so I have airbrushes and spray guns. I also understand lacquers and enamels and so on. I've used Dupli-color paints painting dash pieces in cars and like working with there product, so here is my question, what do you guys use and is dupli-color a usable product for this if I want to go with spray cans.

I'd experiment with the paint you have and are familiar with. Then start to trying other paint products and see what works best for you. Every builder here has products they like to work with and they are not all the same.