Model Cars Magazine Forum

Junior Fueler--More Of These (Darn) Injectors?! 02/01/19

On 3/18/2019 at 8:19 AM, Buffs Fan said:

Looking good

Thanks, Mike. I got the steering box installed. I swapped out the old one, because I liked this one better, so, I had to rebuild the mount, itself. The new steering box required moving the mounting arm, so, I have a little touch up to do, there. There's a decent view of many of the other cockpit details, along with the steering box. The butterfly isn't properly home, yet. I also decided to add a helmet bar to the cage--it just looked too dangerous. If I make it by the end of the month, it will be pretty amazing, if I don't, it's not for a lack of trying! Thanks for looking!

DSC_0001cr.jpg

DSC_0004cr.jpg

DSC_0006cr.jpg

I like following the build progress and seeing skills being developed.  Would hate to see this model fall short of what the original vision was just to finish it quickly.  Pride in each step guarantees pride at the finish.

7 hours ago, Flat32 said:

I like following the build progress and seeing skills being developed.  Would hate to see this model fall short of what the original vision was just to finish it quickly.  Pride in each step guarantees pride at the finish.

Thank you, Ray. Not to worry. Although I would like to make the deadline, unless it meets my satisfaction, it won't move forward. I don't generally mention all the things I've done two or three times, just so they're acceptable to me. If I hadn't, it might be done, already, but I wouldn't be happy with it!

I got the body back on, and fitting correctly, again, after installing  the steering box/shaft/arm assembly. Never found the issue, I could see that none of it was interfering with the panels, so...Anyway, i did a bit more shaping on the windscreen, and it now fits perfectly! It's being held in place in these photos, only by pressure from the brake handle (which will have to be tweaked, a tad--no biggie). I'm going to attempt to get the seat finished and installed, tonight, and tie up the rest of the loose ends toward mounting the body, permanently. Questions and comments welcome and appreciated! Thanks for having a gander!

DSC_0005cr.jpg

DSC_0006cr.jpg

DSC_0007cr.jpg

I have recused myself from round two of "Gitter Done!". I just have too much left to do. I am already in, for round three, should it happen. I didn't have aluminum wire in the proper size, for the main fuel line. I ordered two lengths, one in '040" diameter and the other in .052". I opted to use the .052". I soldered the three-way return/shutoff valve from four pieces of brass, and added a lever/linkage from an unknown photo-etched set. The shutoff "cable" has been stripped, and is ready to attach to the valve, once I have permanently mounted it. I need to make the fittings for the main fuel line, then, it can be attached. I am going to make a small manifold for the return lines, so that I can use a single, rigid return line back into the tank. I also started playing around with the headers. I'll be fabricating a flange to mount them to. Over the weekend, I will have this part of the fuel system done, and will, once again, remove the body, so that I can finish up, in the cockpit, and get the body mounted permanently. I also plan to write and shoot a proper tutorial on making scale zip ties. Questions and comments always welcome! Thanks for looking!

DSC_0002cr.jpg

DSC_0003cr.jpg

DSC_0008cr.jpg

DSC_0010cr.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I have most of the fuel system, from the front of the engine, forward buttoned up. I changed the return line from the one in the "zip-ties" tutorial, because it was stupidly complex, when two simple return lines will do--one down each side, rather than a tee fitting that looked more like a manifold! The return line is 36ga. grey wire I bought from a model railroad specialty place, online.

I applied a Purolator decal to the oil filter. That came from an Etzel's sheet. Also note the skull. I got some inspiration from a photo I have of the restored "Chizler" dragster's brake handle, and, since  I need to shorten the brake handle, anyway...I though I was on my way, with a 1/72nd scale tank commander's head. Alas, it was too big. So, I used a birch (I think) cuticle tool from a bag I bought at the beauty supply, and began carving a skull. It still needs a bit of work, but I think I can use it, to replace the round head of the pin that's there, now. Thanks for looking! Comments/questions always welcome.

DSC_0001cr.jpg

DSC_0004cr.jpg

DSC_0007cr.jpg

DSC_0008cr.jpg

08202011-2 184.JPG

Edited by Straightliner59

5 hours ago, afx said:

The driver's head looks great!

Thanks, JC, but, that is the brake handle knob from the re-creation of Karamesines' Chizler. It is very cool! I was going to try to somewhat replicate it, for mine, I have a 1/72nd scale tank commander's head I was going to use, but it is just too big. That's why I started carving the skull. I should have this thing finished in about a month, give or take.

• 2 weeks later...

Okay, here's where I am, now. The harness is installed. 'Chute is mostly painted, and is hanging on its mount, in these photos. I got the puke tank painted, and its draincock installed. Next up, I'll be installing the eye for the 'chute release cable and 'd'-ring, and wrapping the roll cage with thin strips of electrical tape. I dry-brushed some steel on the diff, since the driver's legs will be riding over it. Getting closer to working on mounting the body...

DSC_0007cr.jpg

DSC_0015cr.jpg

DSC_0018cr.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

A little update: This project likes to back me up a step, for every bit of progress, I make. Case in point; Initially, I had hoped to wrap the rollcage with narrow strips of electrical tape. In fact, I did. It was not uniform, no matter the effort I took to make it so. That had to come back off! So, I decided on short lengths of heat-shrink tubing, fastened with zip ties. No problem, there, until I decided I wanted "padding" to better conform to the cage. I waved a lighter past the heat-shrink, and the "padding" softened slightly, and conformed. Okay! That's all good! Except, in the process of that, the heat melted the ends of the zip ties, as you can see in these pics. I am in the process of replacing them all, now. I am using finer line, this time, as well. The harnesses are all installed. I will be working more on their finish, retouching some of the black, where the highlights got a little out of control, and reapplying some India ink wash. I also got paint on the puke tank, and a draincock, installed there, as well. I really want the cockpit done, so I can move on to getting the body mounted!

DSC_0003cr.jpg

DSC_0005cr.jpg

DSC_0006cr.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I have fixed the padding on the roll cage, and replaced the zip ties. Also mounted the 'chute. Installed the spark plugs--not that they'll be too visible--but, they create visual interest. I hd forgotten the pinion support, and have now made that. With the body on, and all the other "business" going on in the cockpit, it will be barely noticeable, but, it needs to be there! As always, questions and comments/critiques welcome

DSC_0003cr.jpg

DSC_0005cr.jpg

DSC_0007cr.jpg

DSC_0033cr.jpg

DSC_0034cr.jpg

I have the body fitted. I have a couple of quick things to finish, that will require pulling it off, one last time, then, I can mount it, for good! I am hoping to have the rear wheels mounted, before I go to bed, tomorrow morning! Then, it's on to finishing the front wheels... Meanwhile, I found what I believe to be the earliest-ever photo of this project. It's dated 10/06/2000!

Rams.jpg

11 hours ago, gasser59 said:

Nicely done Dan. I'm sure they'll match judging by the way you're building process.

Thank you, kind sir. I'm halfway done with the other rim, now. Should finish that, tomorrow, then, I can fire up my recently-ducted spray booth and airbrush, and shoot some paint on these babies. I'll likely go with Alclad, but, will look around and see what other possibilities I might have.

Edited by Straightliner59