Model Cars Magazine Forum

Tamiya Porcshe 959 1:24

Funkychiken

2 minutes ago, Funkychiken said:

Thanks Dann, hope you are doing well and flexing your building skills

Thanks, bud!, i'm kinda in a slump right now....i have three finished builds that i havent even felt like posting. I have been setting up my own Facebook group, so shortly i think i will be back at it....hopefully!....that was funny, by the way; "Flexing", lol

3 minutes ago, Funkychiken said:

Thanks Dann, hope you are doing well and flexing your building skills

On 6/29/2019 at 10:20 AM, Cpt Tuttle said:

Great job on the legendary 959, will be interesting to watch how it will look with a blue topcoat then.

Well you kind of get to fin out!

I'm posting 2 pics, the first is 1 dust coat, then 1 medium coat of Cobalt Blue.

The Alclad II instructions recommend 1 do 1 light coat wait 10 mins 7 than 2 medium coats.

It's a lacquer, but unlike any i've used before.

The problem with this paint, it that it has been designed to be translucent - so the silver base shines through. Well that's great, but it makes it really difficult to patch up issues. I had dust land in one spot, lightly sanded it out, then when touching up, I ended up with a light spot (where the sanding was) then dark areas outside of it. I also ended up with 2 splodges - same issue trying to sand out and patch up.

I'll probably give it one more coat.

This paint also attracts dust. Once washed and air dried, it's like a magnet for dust. never seen anything like that before!

1 medium coat.jpg

The aclad might have a property to it that attracts dust. One thing Ive done recently is to use Tamiya's static brush to use just before painting. It wipes off dust and eliminates the static charge so you are less likely to get imperfections. It's meant to dust off displays models but it works well for painting too.

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/7/2019 at 12:57 AM, 89AKurt said:

Beautiful blue!

On 7/7/2019 at 11:36 AM, Dann Tier said:

KILLER kolor!!!!!....i always use canned air to blast possible debris off my parts....between EVERY coat.

Thanks Kurt & Dann!

I've made some progress!

It got even more dust during the recoat.

So i've sanded the dust out & decided to use micromesh

here's a pic before

1Before.jpg

And here's 3 for after.

Unfortunately it's really delicate, so it's burned through in a few spots & it keeps chipping off.

I'm going to have to find a way of cleaning out the polish residue from the panel lines, then clearcoat with 2K Zero... wish me luck

3After.jpg

4After.jpg

5After.jpg

• 1 month later...
On 7/17/2019 at 1:54 PM, Dominik said:

fingers crossed for the clearcoat! man,...thats an beautiful Color!!!

I've built mine in orange. i love this kit. it Looks good, Comes good together - all fine.

Thank's Domink! By-the-way - Guess where I was 2 weeks ago - here's some pics as a hint!

20190827_170649.jpg

20190827_183342.jpg

Engine, Chassis & interior are on their way... Other than spraying the body-shell, the worst part of this hobby is flocking. It never goes to plan... this is 2 coats of Hiroboy cream using Humbrol clear enamel as an adhesive. This is an old Tamiya kit, so it's not the best in terms of detail, however, it goes together really well, no real flash & ony minor sink hole defects to worry about....

20190823_221236.jpg

20190831_170602.jpg

9 hours ago, CabDriver said:

I think the flocking looks great!  What problems did you have with it?  The end result is certainly impressive enough!

I TOTALLY agree!!....that flocking looks spot-on, realistic to me....especially considering that there are different kinds of carpet used in the automotive industry.

4 hours ago, beeRS said:

I think the interior looks perfect!

Where are those pictures taken in your post from 12th September? The one that looks like a car factory and the street scene with a cathedral.

Hey, I was in Aachen in Germany, there is a company called E.go it's a fantastic facility, and like an experiment in advanced manufacturing processes. Very interesting trip, and the guys there were very open to sharing what they do...

• 2 weeks later...