Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/25 Revell VW Beetle Type 1 Kits

Casey

2 hours ago, SfanGoch said:

Very cool! Never seen one before. 

The kits are worth at least $50 each, maybe more. But build one and you devalue the whole display. Worth $550? I dunno, but where/when you gonna find another one? 

There were quite a few kits released through Revell's model of the month offer. My dad signed me up with a subscription card from a kit he bought for himself, probably around 1972 or '73. The ones I have were simply cardboard mailer boxes with a label of the kit box cover.  I don't recall getting a model every month, seemed like every 2 months but that was a long time ago.

I've still got my Porsche 914-6 and a Rodfather as far as automotive subjects. Otherwise I got mostly air and space subjects, sadly some of them disappeared over the years. I don't think you had a choice of theme, they just sent you wherever was slated for the program. 

On 2/23/2019 at 9:45 PM, Phirewriter said:

There were quite a few kits released through Revell's model of the month offer.

This one was parts of the Model Builders Club of America, which I think was different than the Revell run program, but a similar idea:

T2eC16NHJGwE9nySf0JBRUOotnj60_57.jpg

Edited by Casey

On ‎2‎/‎21‎/‎2019 at 4:08 PM, samdiego said:

I just got this pile from a coworker, free. I'd never seen the Revell Britain Karman Ghia from '59. All there

The Karmann Ghia was in the Revell "Cadet Series," circa late 1950s-early 1960s.  Those were neat kits of unusual subjects (for Americans), like the Morris Traveler and Ford Consul. The scales seemed to vary, though I'm not sure of that, and seemed to be somewhere around 1:43-ish.  On the internet, I've seen the Traveler listed at 1:46 scale and others listed at 1:43.

One auction listed them as 1:32, but they all seem much smaller than that.  Here's a bunch I found on a non-eBay auction site.

cadets.jpg

Edited by Mike999
goof

On 2/27/2019 at 5:38 PM, SfanGoch said:

The Cadet Series was never available in the U.S. These kits were all made in Britain Gor'Blimey!, by Revell (Great Britain) LTD, Maidstone House, London W1, for those of you keeping score.

Revell-Venice issued the Cadet kits in America with different box art and chrome parts around 1962. 

On 28.2.2019 at 12:38 AM, SfanGoch said:

The Cadet Series was never available in the U.S. These kits were all made in Britain Gor'Blimey!, by Revell (Great Britain) LTD, Maidstone House, London W1, for those of you keeping score.

Ah, there was a british Revell aswell, I did not know that. I discovered now that I even have one of the kits they released (the 1960 Mercedes 190SL). One learns something new every day:)

On 2019-02-19 at 9:39 PM, Atmobil said:

But is it?
Anyone here got one?
Or could it be a reissue of the Imai convertible?
In that case, it is very much labled wrong as the Imai 1303 is too wide to be a 1:24 bug.
Or could it be a classic case of boxart-snafu?

The Revell kit with the 1303 convertible on the boxart is the same old 1300 beetle as in the other Revell convertible kits. Just wrong car on the box.

10 hours ago, Cpt Tuttle said:

The Revell kit with the 1303 convertible on the boxart is the same old 1300 beetle as in the other Revell convertible kits. Just wrong car on the box.

That was exactly what I was suspecting. A very common mistake to make as the 1302/03 (SuperBeetle) are the same as the older bugs in many untrained eyes. The have made a similar mistake on the new-tool 1:24 convertible kit aswell.

The boxart pictures looks to be a 1302:
RevellBugConv_01.jpg

And the kit inside is this:
07078__s_m_p_w_vw_beetle_cabriolet_1970.
I have a 1:24 diecast bug made by Maisto that says it is a 1303 and it does have 1303 taillamps and a windscreen that is not flat but curved enough either and it has a standing/leaning sparewheel in the front with the 5-205 lugpattern:lol:

17 hours ago, FredRPG said:

Even though the box art is a 72 super, model is a 70, so at least the text is right. 73 was the the big window super, I had one of those.

One could actually have a 70 1302 even if it has modelyear as 71. The 1302 model was launched after the national summer holidays in 1970.
70_250_18.jpg

Personally I could have wanted a 1302 modelkit as I don't think anyone has ever made one but Revell did have a 1:18 diecast of a 1302 sedan.