Model Cars Magazine Forum

Auto Air paint

John Pol

Auto Air or wicked color paints is there anything else you mix it with to go threw the airbrush or do you have to use there prodects. Also what pSI preasure do you use to spray it. Just bought some there line of paint and haven`t tried it yet any help would be great.

John Pol

I am new to this stuff as well, but I can offer a little info. I'm using all Createx products. For the Autoborne sealers, which are basically primer, I thin it with 4012 reducer. For the rest of the colors, They recommend adding 4030, which is a flow enhancer, and reducing with 4012. I have used the paints without the 4030 and they work fine, perhaps not as tough. One thing I learned the hard way: if you use the 4030, mix it well with the paint before adding the reducer, or the paint may break. There are a lot of helpful videos on the AutoAir site, and on Youtube.

Your AB pressure will depend on the type of AB and the size of the needle/tip. I'm using a Badger 150 with the large needle/tip, and spraying at 20-25 psi. They recommend 30 psi, but I was getting a lot of tip dry and orange peel at that pressure. I'm still experimenting with that.

Hope this is useful.

18 minutes ago, Kit Basher said:

I am new to this stuff as well, but I can offer a little info. I'm using all Createx products. For the Autoborne sealers, which are basically primer, I thin it with 4012 reducer. For the rest of the colors, They recommend adding 4030, which is a flow enhancer, and reducing with 4012. I have used the paints without the 4030 and they work fine, perhaps not as tough. One thing I learned the hard way: if you use the 4030, mix it well with the paint before adding the reducer, or the paint may break. There are a lot of helpful videos on the AutoAir site, and on Youtube.

Your AB pressure will depend on the type of AB and the size of the needle/tip. I'm using a Badger 150 with the large needle/tip, and spraying at 20-25 psi. They recommend 30 psi, but I was getting a lot of tip dry and orange peel at that pressure. I'm still experimenting with that.

Hope this is useful.

+1  Hugh said everything I should have said. I really like the Createx lines of paint. Use them like the company instructions say and you'll be a happy camper.

started to work with Auto Air colors years ago. Learning curve was steep but the introduction of Createx‘ 4030 made life easier. I shoot it through my H&S Evolution 0,4 mm nozzle with 25 psi although 0,6 mm nozzle seems to work a bit better. One recommendation as indicated also in the videos, try to let the paint sit for about 10 minutes after mixing with 4030 flow enhancer and 4012 reducer.

Createx recommends 25% flow enhancer (called Createx 4030 balancing clear) when using their Auto Air, Createx Illustration & Wicked Colors and 20% for their Pearls, Aluminums and Metallics. I usually use 25 to 30% reducer and shoot in the low 20 psi range. I spray bodies with a Procon PS290 and other parts, sometimes, with a Paasche H.

I used Auto Air when I taught airbrush classes at Eastwood. I tried them on my own projects and really like them. They could be cleared with urethane easily. I was able to do effects I couldn't do previously. Looking at the transparent black for tinting. A rule of thumb I follow is to use the same brand thinners or reducers, where possible. Results have always been more than acceptable! Universal thinners and reducers are OK, but may not give you the best results.

Here is a welding helmet I painted... it's paint and superglue.

Steelesm.JPG.3224de815c76ba89b03a81504c1ed388.JPG

Edited by George Bojaciuk