Forum will be Offline for Server Maintenance ×
Model Cars Magazine Forum

Why the convertable and not the hard top ?

Is this something new, a reissue maybe. When AMT first offered these '55's in 1/16th scale they had a hardtop as well. I still have the '57 Thunderbird that I built when they were first offered. As I recall there was also a '57 Bel Air Hardtop in that series.  

The convertible appeals to me a bit more than the hardtop would. At the same time the Thunderbirds, especially the '55 would appeal to me even more. I'd like to see them bring back the 1/16 scale AMT '55 Thunderbird, and the MPC '63 Corvette in the same scale. 

I have the same issue...many kits that got reissued as a convertible I would love to have as a HT like the MPC 70 Bonneville for one...I have the original HT but the body and glass are toast sadly.  Others that are convertibles Id like to have realistic looking up tops for them since I cant have the HT ones Id rather have...I think the realistic looking up tops make them look much more classy looking on most of them.    

51 minutes ago, disabled modeler said:

I have the same issue...many kits that got reissued as a convertible I would love to have as a HT like the MPC 70 Bonneville for one...

The kit are being issued the way the mold was last modified. Then it's up to the aftermarket to give us the alternate body. I have a resin '70 Bonneville hardtop body, I believe it was done by Missing Link

22 hours ago, Tom Geiger said:

The kit are being issued the way the mold was last modified. Then it's up to the aftermarket to give us the alternate body. I have a resin '70 Bonneville hardtop body, I believe it was done by Missing Link

That would be cool...but how much and are they still available ..???    Id rather have plastic but anything is better than what mine is like right now...I have a few old late 60s Bonnevilles that need a lot of help...68,69 year ones too.

5 hours ago, disabled modeler said:

That would be cool...but how much and are they still available ..???    Id rather have plastic but anything is better than what mine is like right now...I have a few old late 60s Bonnevilles that need a lot of help...68,69 year ones too.

Is the roof on the 70 Wildcat the same? They were recently re issued, maybe a roof swap onto the convertible.

Not relative to this kit, but. Years ago even before AMT or SPM, what ever name they had at the time, would offer there annuals they would bring out the Convertibles in 1/25th first and in the summer they started offering the Hardtops.  I always thought it should be the other way around. 

18 hours ago, fordf-100 said:

Is the roof on the 70 Wildcat the same? They were recently re issued, maybe a roof swap onto the convertible.

Phillip ....Not the same but could work on others I have to try to repair/restore.  I have around 100 that got damaged in a 2011 tornado here that were my dads...got to find a lot of parts for them.