Model Cars Magazine Forum

I have started this L-700 project 2016 and originally I thought this to be a rat truck but plans changed during building.

Here frame is extended, some parts ready and engine partly made. Engine is Allison V12 V1710 (1710 cu in, 1600 hp)

_medium.jpg

Some WIP pictures:

Front and rear wheels and brakes

_medium.jpg

Making  rear tandem axles using L-700 parts.

_medium.jpg

_medium.jpg

Platform testing

_medium.jpg

Gastanks for hugry engine

_medium.jpg

Interior partly ready

_medium.jpg

Cabin painted and test fitted

_medium.jpg

_medium.jpg

Engine compartment

_medium.jpg

_medium.jpg

Rear tandem axle

_medium.jpg

Testing custom made aluminium mudguards from Auslowe.

_medium.jpg

Next job is to finish the cabin interior then front mudguards and Kenworth style exhausts.

This should be in the "On the Workbench: Big Rigs". Can somebody move it?

Edited by Sportabout

Allison has originally 3-barrels carb. Here is link to Allison powered Malibu that has 4 4-barrel carbs. I chose 2 big Holley ultra dominators and I'm sure they are enough for low rpm engine (max 3000 rpm).

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=6&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=2ahUKEwieicKuvP3hAhWuxaYKHSoRCQQQFjAFegQIABAB&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.hotrod.com%2Farticles%2Fthrowback-thursday-this-wild-1964-chevy-malibu-funny-car-was-a-street-legal-1710ci-allison-v12-powered-monster%2F&usg=AOvVaw1KVje30tAKpq69TEWbOgij

Transmission is Allison 4800 automatic and I have no idea can it be installed on the engine. No reference pictures, sorry. Transmission looks good and fits nicely between chassis rails :D.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 years later...

I will continue to build this after a short break. 

I found suitable exhaust stacks from Italeri "Truck Accessories" kit but I had to de-chrome them and put some putty to seams. Mud flaps are from the kit but supports are aluminium tube. Velocity stacks I bought from ebay years ago. I think this is starting to be what I thought.

P1010116_86.jpg