Model Cars Magazine Forum

Super glue question

On 6/22/2019 at 3:50 AM, 1930fordpickup said:

All epoxy has a shelf life Carl. Get yourself a new tube of the glue mentioned above. The Loctite glue I have had with the newer style bottle lasts longer than most. 

Super Glue is not epoxy resin - it is Cyanoacrylate or CA (type of acrylic resin).  But you are correct that CA glue has a limited shelf life.  Keeping it cool and in a dry environment will prolong its life, but it will eventually start polymerizing (thickening) and nothing can be done to revive it.  Just like epoxy, it sets by chemical reaction, not eveporatign solvent.

The best recommendation is that if someone doesn't use much of it, don't buy more than you can use in lets say a year.  Instead of getting 4 oz. get a 1/2 oz. bottle. Yes, it is more expensive when bough in smaller quantities, but if you buy the larger bottle, you'll end up sending money, then throwing away lots of it anyway.

11 hours ago, peteski said:

Super Glue is not epoxy resin - it is Cyanoacrylate or CA (type of acrylic resin).  But you are correct that CA glue has a limited shelf life.  Keeping it cool and in a dry environment will prolong its life, but it will eventually start polymerizing (thickening) and nothing can be done to revive it.  Just like epoxy, it sets by chemical reaction, not eveporatign solvent.

The best recommendation is that if someone doesn't use much of it, don't buy more than you can use in lets say a year.  Instead of getting 4 oz. get a 1/2 oz. bottle. Yes, it is more expensive when bough in smaller quantities, but if you buy the larger bottle, you'll end up sending money, then throwing away lots of it anyway.

Peter I did not post the info correctly and thank you for straightening this out. That is what I get for trying to post something before bed. 

On 6/22/2019 at 7:32 PM, SfanGoch said:

I posted this on March 16, 2018 regarding storage of CA adhesives:

Not knocking you, Ray. Just trying to clear up a commonly repeated misconception.

No problem.

Thanks for clearing the refrigerated storage myth up.

On 6/22/2019 at 6:57 PM, BigTallDad said:

I've heard (but never tried) that storing CA in the 'fridge prolongs the shelf life...doesn't cost much to test this out.

Not really that much better.  I have tried it.

My current CA of choice is Duro in the little metal tubes.   1.88 for 4 little tubes, each with their own new nozzle.  Very thin and doesn't seem to fog as bad as other brands.  I have even successfuly glued in glass with this brand and no fogging.   As Snake said, if it ruins itself, throw it away and get a new one out.   

I will squeez some out and either drag the part through the pool for a thin film or drag a dental pick through to get a little on there to transfer to the part.  Or a drop directly to a dental pick tip.  

Edited by randyc

I've enjoyed reading through this interesting topic. 

My first experience with CA was '72.  The Superintendant, read a gray head, tough E-9 "fixed" something that I flubbed for a showcase theme.  He told me to wipe off the excess from the tube with my fingertips.  Well....let's say that once was enough.  I know for a fact, the "showcase" still exists as well as the objects inside.  Very interesting, as this was from the USAFE Hospital way back when.  The flubbed piece was a fractured skull segment that we'd provisionally replicated so that the pilot could be finally treated at a later time.  He survived.  

Yep, many brands out there now, just the best deal is buying the smallest amount.  It all goes south soon enough.  I build models with lots of metal, Zap-A-Gap is killer.  It dries up as fast as the others, so buy a small quantity at a time.  Once thick, will only get thicker.

16 hours ago, Mike Williams said:

I've enjoyed reading through this interesting topic. 

My first experience with CA was '72.  The Superintendant, read a gray head, tough E-9 "fixed" something that I flubbed for a showcase theme.  He told me to wipe off the excess from the tube with my fingertips.  Well....let's say that once was enough.  I know for a fact, the "showcase" still exists as well as the objects inside.  Very interesting, as this was from the USAFE Hospital way back when.  The flubbed piece was a fractured skull segment that we'd provisionally replicated so that the pilot could be finally treated at a later time.  He survived.  

Yep, many brands out there now, just the best deal is buying the smallest amount.  It all goes south soon enough.  I build models with lots of metal, Zap-A-Gap is killer.  It dries up as fast as the others, so buy a small quantity at a time.  Once thick, will only get thicker.

That's good advice but I bought a small Loctite and a bottle of Gorilla super glue  so I will see how both hold up...

As it has been said, moisture is CA's worst enemy.  How long it stays "good" depends on how impervious to moisture the container is, and how often you open the bottle to dispense the glue (and to let a tiny bit or air with moisture in).  So to make the test even slightly valid, assuming both containers are made from a similar material, you would have to dispense the glue from both bottles at the same time (to let the same amount of air in).

10 hours ago, peteski said:

As it has been said, moisture is CA's worst enemy.  How long it stays "good" depends on how impervious to moisture the container is, and how often you open the bottle to dispense the glue (and to let a tiny bit or air with moisture in).  So to make the test even slightly valid, assuming both containers are made from a similar material, you would have to dispense the glue from both bottles at the same time (to let the same amount of air in).

The Loctite  I had one was used and one never opened and both are about too thick to use. So I am going to use both bottles to see which I like the best. Going to store a Gorilla glue in the organizer to see how it holds up unopened. Thanks so much for your and everyone's input...