Model Cars Magazine Forum

AMT 50 Chevy pick up question

The street machine version has an odd combination of parts: Eighties-style rolled pans front and rear (no bumpers are included), along with custom wheels that might have been "in" for about fifteen minutes in the mid-Eighties...

2 hours ago, Mark said:

The street machine version has an odd combination of parts: Eighties-style rolled pans front and rear (no bumpers are included), along with custom wheels that might have been "in" for about fifteen minutes in the mid-Eighties...

C'mon, who's not itching for a set of "sawblade" directional 3-spokes to slap on their latest build? ;)

25-amt-1950-chevrolet-pickup-street_1_5176ac012d7cfe948fabbbaa61d27fcf (1).jpg

25-amt-1950-chevrolet-pickup-street_1_5176ac012d7cfe948fabbbaa61d27fcf (2).jpg

25-amt-1950-chevrolet-pickup-street_1_5176ac012d7cfe948fabbbaa61d27fcf (3).jpg

12 hours ago, Robberbaron said:

C'mon, who's not itching for a set of "sawblade" directional 3-spokes to slap on their latest build? ;)

Man I was awesome when I had those wheels on my truck.  I won't say when or where, but let's just go with the assumption that Southeast US was a little behind.  No mullet though.  LOL

23 minutes ago, Brian Austin said:

Today's big wheels may not age well either.  :-)

I think you may be very much on the money on that assumption:)

Did they use those wheels on something else aswell? I'm fairly certain that I have had some AMT/Ertl promo of some GM Concept car with wheels that looks like that.
In a different color and on another type of vehicle they could possibly work (I'm thinking of something european or asian hot hatchback or coupe from the 80s or maybe 90s).

The idea of a lowered suspension in that kit make me want it even if I already have several of the stock versions.

10 hours ago, Atmobil said:

I think you may be very much on the money on that assumption:)

Did they use those wheels on something else aswell? I'm fairly certain that I have had some AMT/Ertl promo of some GM Concept car with wheels that looks like that.
In a different color and on another type of vehicle they could possibly work (I'm thinking of something european or asian hot hatchback or coupe from the 80s or maybe 90s).

The idea of a lowered suspension in that kit make me want it even if I already have several of the stock versions.

The Corvette Stingray III had 3 spoke "Twist" wheels that look somewhat similar.

11 hours ago, niteowl7710 said:

The Corvette Stingray III had 3 spoke "Twist" wheels that look somewhat similar.

Ahh, so that's the one:
chevrolet-corvette-stingray-iii_1_47eb77
I had no idea what it was as I never had a box for it and the underside only had the GM trademark and AMT /Ertl logo. My kids have played with it so it no longer exist in anything but loose parts.
Not just 3 spokes but also 3 lugnuts:lol:

9 hours ago, Atmobil said:

Ahh, so that's the one:
chevrolet-corvette-stingray-iii_1_47eb77
I had no idea what it was as I never had a box for it and the underside only had the GM trademark and AMT /Ertl logo. My kids have played with it so it no longer exist in anything but loose parts.
Not just 3 spokes but also 3 lugnuts:lol:

I had to puzzle over it for a minute because I forgot all about the promo, but Revell did a full detail kit of it at the time.