Forum will be Offline for Server Maintenance ×
Model Cars Magazine Forum

69 Cougar Engines

1 hour ago, vamach1 said:

Assuming that's the Boss 429 of course that was only available in the KarKraft built 69/70 Mustangs.

They did build two 429 Cougars. One went to Nicholson and the other to Schartman. 

The "Resto Rods" kits have those extra parts in then that was tooled up just for them. The '66 Galaxie in that series also has that extra engine. Generic big block Ford.

I'm pretty sure all the kits in that series came with big wheels, racing seats that matched the stock upholstery and an extra engine. All tooled up just for that release.

I think the Ford ones are supposed to represent a crate motor like this one, which [according to the web page it was on] is a 480 HP 428 crate engine. The valve covers in the Galaxie match the ones on this engine any way.

Image result for big block Ford crate engine

Edited by Can-Con

1 hour ago, '70 Grande said:

Could it be the 428 Cobra Jet engine from this kit:

69CougarCJ428Box.jpg

That would be the other one - same as what was in the 69 Mustang kit and probably most other mid side and large Ford kits of that era.  Sadly MPC and AMT never made a true 429 for the 71 Mustang and included either the 428 or Boss 429 neither of which was correct. So, use what engine is correct for that year which would be either the 302 Boss (Eliminator) 351W or the 390/428.  I would not worry much which kit it comes out - they are all similar.

Ok so that means it’s most likely a 390 or a 428.... I have the CJ428 decal for the hood to go with the Eliminator strips so I guess if I want to use the hood stripe it will become a 428 :) if I decide not to use the stripe I’ll put the 302 in it.... thanks guys....