Model Cars Magazine Forum

1920's wooden car inner framework

misterNNL

On 9/12/2019 at 11:26 AM, Eric Macleod said:

Eric

26_and_13_Ts.jpg

Eric, the bearing covers where stainless not chrome as I stated. Going to try to post a pic of a 26 I pulled off the net. The year may be wrong. I don't remember it having a rear glass behind the door like the one I found on google. And I don't remember the trunk being as rounded off as the one in the pic. And I know for a fact the truck lid was flat, no curves and pretty much square made of wood with metal over it and painted gray under it and in the trunk area. The one in my pic is close, but that aint the one I worked on, the trunk is all wrong. Maybe you might know what year it was.

autowp.ru_ford_model_t_coupe_6.jpg

On 9/16/2019 at 12:11 PM, misterNNL said:

I have a detailed chassis already built up on my work bench. It is intended for a speedster so is equipped with Chevrolet disc wheels,a RAJO head,dual carbs and a two speed rear end. 

Have you seen the adapter plate that allows you to bolt an early Chevrolet OHV head onto the Model T block? Slick setup for more HP.

17 hours ago, dwc43 said:

Eric, the bearing covers where stainless not chrome as I stated. Going to try to post a pic of a 26 I pulled off the net. The year may be wrong. I don't remember it having a rear glass behind the door like the one I found on google. And I don't remember the trunk being as rounded off as the one in the pic. And I know for a fact the truck lid was flat, no curves and pretty much square made of wood with metal over it and painted gray under it and in the trunk area. The one in my pic is close, but that aint the one I worked on, the trunk is all wrong. Maybe you might know what year it was.

autowp.ru_ford_model_t_coupe_6.jpg

I am suspecting the car may be like this instead.  It fits a bit more of your description. Its pretty close to the car you described.  In this case its a 25 Model T Coupe.

1925-ford-model-t-coupe-very-original-great-condition-recently-restored-1.JPG

3 hours ago, Eric Macleod said:

I am suspecting the car may be like this instead.  It fits a bit more of your description. Its pretty close to the car you described.  In this case its a 25 Model T Coupe.

1925-ford-model-t-coupe-very-original-great-condition-recently-restored-1.JPG

That looks more like the one I worked on. Clarence's car did not have the lamps on the cowl or the rear spare tire on it. Options I'm sure. Very simple, neat little cars. Thanks for the info and jogging the ole memory.

4 hours ago, dwc43 said:

That looks more like the one I worked on. Clarence's car did not have the lamps on the cowl or the rear spare tire on it. Options I'm sure. Very simple, neat little cars. Thanks for the info and jogging the ole memory.

And what if the gas tank was under the front seat instead of inside the trunk. The shut off valve would be a get out and get under thing.  Does that sound like his car?

6 hours ago, Eric Macleod said:

And what if the gas tank was under the front seat instead of inside the trunk. The shut off valve would be a get out and get under thing.  Does that sound like his car?

The seat bottom lifted up for filling the gas tank and you could reach the petcock the same way.

On 9/24/2019 at 12:50 PM, Eric Macleod said:

Not sure about that. It was in the trunk and as far as I know, it did not have a shut off valve. Small sheet metal tank, some mentioned 9 or 10 gallons, my guess that's what this tank would hold.  It could have been moved to the trunk though. It also had a little cut out in the wood floor for your finger to go in. You lifted that boar up and the battery as under there. Not sure if that was stock either, but it looked right. The starter would never turn it over fast enough to start the car anyways. We even sent it out and had it rebuilt and it was no better after the rebuild.

4 hours ago, dwc43 said:

Not sure about that. It was in the trunk and as far as I know, it did not have a shut off valve. Small sheet metal tank, some mentioned 9 or 10 gallons, my guess that's what this tank would hold.  It could have been moved to the trunk though. It also had a little cut out in the wood floor for your finger to go in. You lifted that boar up and the battery as under there. Not sure if that was stock either, but it looked right. The starter would never turn it over fast enough to start the car anyways. We even sent it out and had it rebuilt and it was no better after the rebuild.

Perhaps this is a better topic for either the AACA or MTFCA forum but I can guarantee the problem with that starter was either cables or a faulty ground...or both!

Every Ford T Coupe Body has a flat Trunk lid . Same lid as the Roadster . What passed for a Trunk anyway . Tools needed for your Ford were kept in there . Have you heard the phrase : Fix or Repair Daily" ? In the Day , every Automobile needed constant attention . Like the Horse that Cars replaced . Naysayers hung that nickname on Lizzy , it stuck . The 1919 MY was the first year for the Self Starter . It was an option , when it was selected Lizzy came sans  Cowl Lamps . Through the 1927 MY end of Production . Spare ? This was located on the Left Running Board making the Drivers Door unnecessary when Doors were introduced on Lizzy . Later on , moved to the rear on open Cars like the closed models . Closed Cars dictated moving Spare Tire location . I don't remember the MY of his transition across the Board . Can anyone help here ?  My reference to Lizzy having a Model Year is in reference what MY these changes occurred . Running changes like VW did during the Beetle Model Run . Closer a reference to Manufactured Date . Titled MY .   Thanx .. 

1 hour ago, dimaxion said:

Every Ford T Coupe Body has a flat Trunk lid . Same lid as the Roadster . What passed for a Trunk anyway . Tools needed for your Ford were kept in there . Have you heard the phrase : Fix or Repair Daily" ? In the Day , every Automobile needed constant attention . Like the Horse that Cars replaced . Naysayers hung that nickname on Lizzy , it stuck . The 1919 MY was the first year for the Self Starter . It was an option , when it was selected Lizzy came sans  Cowl Lamps . Through the 1927 MY end of Production . Spare ? This was located on the Left Running Board making the Drivers Door unnecessary when Doors were introduced on Lizzy . Later on , moved to the rear on open Cars like the closed models . Closed Cars dictated moving Spare Tire location . I don't remember the MY of his transition across the Board . Can anyone help here ?  My reference to Lizzy having a Model Year is in reference what MY these changes occurred . Running changes like VW did during the Beetle Model Run . Closer a reference to Manufactured Date . Titled MY .   Thanx .. 

Please explain the "MY" abbreviation you are using. Manufacturer's Year possibly?

6 hours ago, misterNNL said:

Please explain the "MY" abbreviation you are using. Manufacturer's Year possibly?

I think John is trying to explain the differences in Model Year vs. running changes.  Ford did not actually include a spare tire on there cars as standard equipment until the Model A was introduced in 1928. If you carefully study factory photos of cars in the 1917-27 era you can see either no tire on a spare rim or no spare at all.This is even true of the closed cars. Thus the fourth "dummy door" on the driver side on US made Fords was a result of the placement of the brake lever which led to difficult entry and egress, and had nothing to do with spare rim/tire placement. Market pressure brought the return of the driver's side on the open cars when the Improved Fords introduced as a 1926 car. As an example specific to model year vs. manufacturing date, my very early 1926 Touring, one of thr first Improved Fords, was actually manufactured on October 15, 1925. Probably much more than any of you wanted to know.

Edited by Eric Macleod
Correction

• 4 weeks later...