Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/25 AMT 1970.5 Camaro Z28 - Full Bumper

Casey

What I would like on mine are the PO2 wheels. And behold ye goode olde Polyglase.

1970-Chevrolet-Camaro-Dealer-Sheet-01.jp

Yes, I know. It has the abhorrent split bumper we all hate so much.

Will I get them in the kit? Unlikely.
Will I get a 250L6? Yeah, right.

Edited by Junkman

1 hour ago, Ron Hamilton said:

As much as I would want a Z28, I hope that the emblems are separate.

The fender mounted nameplates/emblems are not molded with the body, but I suspect the new grille will have the Z28 emblem molded as one with the grille.

13 minutes ago, Snake45 said:

Isn't that already in the Motion kit? Thought it was. I'll have to doublecheck....:unsure:

Yes, it has that spoiler while the Z/28 kit has the smaller one.   The funny thing is, the Z/28 kit I have has a green 1:1 on the box art w the big spoiler, while the kit only has the small one. 

FF914631-7AAC-445D-B4A0-9A9F3D7A9C7E.jpeg

Edited by Rob Hall

3 minutes ago, Rob Hall said:

Yes, it has that spoiler while the Z/28 kit has the smaller one. 

5 minutes ago, Snake45 said:

Isn't that already in the Motion kit? Thought it was. I'll have to doublecheck....:unsure:

You're both right, it does. Looks like there's an insert for the rear spoiler only, so only one can be included per kit.

10 hours ago, Rob Hall said:

On the subject of early 70s Camaros, dug out these two 73s from my stash.  Bought as buildups a few years ago, going to keep them as is probably...MPC and AMT..

9A2966F9-3A6F-4539-A7AA-8E7B85A16400.jpeg

Those builtups look pretty clean. If I had them, I'd just "rescue" them with a little Snake-Fu and let them stand as time capsules. Very cool! B)

29 minutes ago, Snake45 said:

Those builtups look pretty clean. If I had them, I'd just "rescue" them with a little Snake-Fu and let them stand as time capsules. Very cool! B)

That's my plan..a little touch up, but I'd like to preserve them in their 70s glory.   I also have a  built annual AMT '70 and a built MPC '70 some where in my stash. 

Edited by Rob Hall

17 minutes ago, alexis said:

Rob, any more pics of the Blue one? It looks very sharp, for a survivor.

It’s solid.  Has a few issues, a broken steering wheel, missing radiator hose, etc.  The Chevelle is an MPC ‘72, good chrome and complete except for no engine or transmission.    I have it in annual box but it was molded in red. 

46475ADA-48EA-432F-999F-3E35DAAE2E0B.jpeg

6C27F973-6796-4E8A-9031-DFCB26C11A58.jpeg

01A1FFF0-D5A3-4A02-B4FE-34F384A51B06.jpeg

Edited by Rob Hall

On 10/18/2019 at 10:59 PM, Rob Hall said:

Yes, it has that spoiler while the Z/28 kit has the smaller one.   The funny thing is, the Z/28 kit I have has a green 1:1 on the box art w the big spoiler, while the kit only has the small one. 

FF914631-7AAC-445D-B4A0-9A9F3D7A9C7E.jpeg

I believe that the large spoiler was a late year addition to the car. Maybe RC2 can add the part from the Baldwin Motion kit to the new Z28 kit. I have yet to build one of these as a Z28, even though I still have several unbuilt 2nd generation Camaro kits in my collection. I will still get at least one of these just for the front end.

2 minutes ago, Ron Hamilton said:

I believe that the large spoiler was a late year addition to the car. Maybe RC2 can add the part from the Baldwin Motion kit to the new Z28 kit. 

It was, but it wouldn't be realistic to set up and run an entire mold for one alternate part. The B-M kit is still easily found and the few people who want to build the new full bumper version with the three-piece rear spoiler shouldn't have too much trouble locating that part.

On 10/18/2019 at 10:07 PM, Casey said:

Looks like there's an insert for the rear spoiler only, so only one can be included per kit-- either the low or (three-piece in real life) high spoiler, but not both.

1 minute ago, Casey said:

It was, but it wouldn't be realistic to set up and run an entire mold for one alternate part. The B-M kit is still easily found and the few people who want to build the new full bumper version with the three-piece rear spoiler shouldn't have too much trouble locating that part.

Either spoiler would work for me, but I prefer the three piece spoiler.

I have some definite plans for the kit. Film at eleven

I'm still not convinced....?

I'll pass on this one fellas.... I have 1 of each from the last release.... Love that Baldwin kit with the L-88 hood.... I have a spare tunnel ram from the AMT chevelle pro streeter I could use with that hood..... ??

On 10/17/2019 at 4:42 PM, Junkman said:

So, if one managed to remove the Z28 emblems from the grille [enter hysterical laughter here] and the wings fenders, and obtained a resin set of wheels, he'd end up with a plain jane 'maro, right?
Extra Turn-up-the-Base points for installing a Stovebolt?

"Turn up the base" it's not only me who watches Coldwarmotors on youtube then !. 

On 10/17/2019 at 10:42 AM, Junkman said:

So, if one managed to remove the Z28 emblems from the grille [enter hysterical laughter here] and the wings fenders, and obtained a resin set of wheels, he'd end up with a plain jane 'maro, right?

Yeah, it would not be an easy task to 'remove' the emblem on either grille, but Model Car Garage detail set #2186 would help:

mcg2186_detail.jpg.bcedc7cffb6ad34290d428fac010bf7f.jpg

Just an FYI, the AMT '70.5 Baldwin-Motion Camaro kit includes the Custom Interior option, which I'm assuming is the same as found in the AMT '70.5 Z/28-RS kit.

Real door panel:

70CamaroCustomInteriorDoor.jpg.af20c20e67ca098e0ad5eb84648042b5.jpg

AMT Baldwin-Motion kit's door panel:

AMTBMCamaroDoorPanel.jpg.38683e6174f856c0490ce0115ed93562.jpg

The RS letters on the steering wheel emblem would need to be removed, too:

RSwheel.jpg.dcb5284cd12949b6c412307a641fb114.jpg

2 hours ago, Casey said:

Yeah, it would not be an easy task to 'remove' the emblem on either grille, but Model Car Garage detail set #2186 would help:

mcg2186_detail.jpg.bcedc7cffb6ad34290d428fac010bf7f.jpg

If those grilles are set up for the RS grille, it might not fit the standard grille. I think the former is slightly smaller than the latter due to the rubber bumper. :unsure: