Model Cars Magazine Forum

Custom 29 roadster: Tribute to Magoo

Claude Thibodeau

Hi!

Was always a fan of Dick "Magoo" Megugorac, and in particular his "Magoomium" smoothed red 29 roadster. I tried to pay hommage to his design using the Revell 29 on 32 frame kit. Extended the wheelbase, scratchbuilt hood & grille, front axle, IRS, Air Ride system & air shocks, windshield + opened trunk and 392 Chrysler hemi. Mirrors from Alternomad. Tamya's red & tan + Alclad. Rolling stock from Custom vicky. 

As Harley Earl said: Longer, lower, wider!

Hours of fun with styrene.

CT 

DSCF3231.JPG

DSCF3232.JPG

DSCF3233.JPG

DSCF3235.JPG

DSCF3230.JPG

8 hours ago, Spex84 said:

Classy! With a nose like that, I almost expected to see a Jag or Ferrari engine or something similar.  This model is a great example of how good the late 80s/90s street-rod style can look!

Hi!

Thanks for the comment. The Magoo original was a smidge longer than stock, but nos as long as mine, which I called

"Pinocchio"... Magoo hand a V6,  4.3 Chey with turbo, if I remember well... A beauty!

CT

5 hours ago, mrm said:

Very sharp build. Looks like it came straight out of Boyd’s shop. 

Hi!

Thank you, Michael. Mr. Coddington had a way, with his chassis guy (Mr. Sergejev, I think...) of making them as low as roller skates. That is why I streched it a bit much, with looooong axle bars, air ride, low mounted big headlights reflector, and a painted rad shell. Anything to make it more "zoomy", a la Coddington!

CT

Lookin' good, and definitely a nod to the eighties, in a good way. I am getting close to finishing a long term project in a similar vein - a replica (with a few tweeks) of the first "billet" car, Lil John's white Model A hiboy rollerskate.) they would look good parked side by side!

Cheers

Alan

9 hours ago, alan barton said:

Lookin' good, and definitely a nod to the eighties, in a good way. I am getting close to finishing a long term project in a similar vein - a replica (with a few tweeks) of the first "billet" car, Lil John's white Model A hiboy rollerskate.) they would look good parked side by side!

Cheers

Alan

Hi John!

I remember that car. It was a milestone in contemporary rod circles. Made the cover of Hot Rod Magazine, but painted silver at the time. Have you seen the last car Buttera completed? A very small, polished aluminium body model A derivative, looking a bit like a Kurtis racecar? It was I N C R E D I B L E. 

RIP Lil' John!

I can't wait to see your car. It will be inspiring, again!

CT