Model Cars Magazine Forum

Hudson

dougwintz

Hi. I started working on my second Hudson. I've been experimenting with colored, clear overcoats. For the new Hudson, I used Testor's one-stage lacquer and then sprayed Tamiya Clear Red. The result came out pretty good. Then for the hood, Tamiya Gunmetal with a coat of Tamiya Smoke on top. Again, I liked the results. 

My biggest challenge with this is the bare metal foil. I thought I had sanded the trim smooth but after applying the foil, I could still see some particles poking out of the trim. Aaargh!! Kind of defeats the purpose of having a nice paint job. I think my next step will be to re-apply the foil after I clean up the surface a little better. Always something to learn. 

I included a couple of photos of the first Hudson too. 

IMG_4163.jpg

IMG_4162.jpg

IMG_4160.jpg

IMG_4158.jpg

IMG_4157.jpg

IMG_4154.jpg

7 minutes ago, BIGTRUCK said:

Bare metal foil work is probably in the top 2 of things  I dont like doing in modeling. Never attempt foil when your aggravated. Your Hudson is going to look sharp when done. I color the tip of my x acto  blade with black marker.

"Never attempt foil when you are aggravated". AMEN. Thanks for the tip on the xacto

I also like your colors. Doing the foil work you just have to take your time and as others have mentioned, if it starts getting to you just put it down and do something else. I have always outlined the moldings being foiled with a fresh blade before I lay done any foil. Then when you lightly burnish the foil the edge will appear and make it easier to follow. 

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...