Model Cars Magazine Forum

Finally, Sanctuary!

Hey everybody, my name is Leroy (I go by Bo) I've been building models most of my life of a variety of subjects, including military, auto, figures, and wargaming miniatures. (I do not play any table top games, Ijust enjoy painting the minis)

I grew up around my dads body shop, and have loved cars since I was able to walk.

I've always enjoyed working with my hands, and have done the 1:1 thing enough at this point in my life to know A: I do not have the money, and B: I do not have the time.

I still have two 1:1 "Hotrods" 

So, I decided several years ago, I'd try and create through models what I cannot in 1:1 due to time and cash constraints.

The thing I love most about this hobby is the patience it has taught me, and the avenues it provides for my imagination and constantly evolving ingenuity to run wild!

I get such a sense of accomplishment from modeling, and in my daily life have few people to show my creations to who are actually interested or who can appreciate what it takes to produce a decent model. (the wife supports me, but has no interest)

My skills aren't on the level as alot of the members of this forum or of some pro's, but I feel I produce models that I am very happy with.

I have never personally attended a show, however 2 of my builds have, and I placed pulled a 2nd place and a peoples choice when I was around 14.

I unaware of any club or group in my area, and my job keeps me from traveling or taking time off.

Just in the last few years I was completely unaware of the modeling "scene" at large... I had no idea about the aftermarket end of things, or the majority of modeling products.

So alot of my building has been very D.I.Y. and alot my skills and techniques have been carried over and "scaled down" from my 1:1 experience... especially in the paint/body end of it.

Anyway, enough rambling.

I'm just happy to have a place to share my work with people who can appreciate it and allowing me to soak up the vastly large pool of knowledge here.

Sincerely, Thanks for having me.

-Bo- 

To paraphrase a popular movie line" build what you like and they will come",meaning that like minded people will appreciate your models for what you have accomplished and created. I am so blessed to have life-long friendships as a direct result of being involved in the model car building hobby.

We are approaching the Thanksgiving holiday so take a few minutes to make a list of the builders you know in one column then in a second column write what that person does( or did) for a living. In a couple minutes you just might have a better appreciation of the diversity that exists in your chosen hobby. Then find yourself thankful for those friendships.

1 hour ago, misterNNL said:

To paraphrase a popular movie line" build what you like and they will come",meaning that like minded people will appreciate your models for what you have accomplished and created. I am so blessed to have life-long friendships as a direct result of being involved in the model car building hobby.

We are approaching the Thanksgiving holiday so take a few minutes to make a list of the builders you know in one column then in a second column write what that person does( or did) for a living. In a couple minutes you just might have a better appreciation of the diversity that exists in your chosen hobby. Then find yourself thankful for those friendships.

Honestly, I think I've only met 1 other builder...(that I know of) and it was a very brief interaction... as I was buying a large quantity of paint from him through Craigslist.

But, I get your point and hope that one day I too have a rolodex of friends in the hobby.

2 hours ago, LL3 Model Worx said:

Honestly, I think I've only met 1 other builder...(that I know of) and it was a very brief interaction... as I was buying a large quantity of paint from him through Craigslist.

But, I get your point and hope that one day I too have a rolodex of friends in the hobby.

Careful there,using a word like rolodex just might identity you as being of certain age:)

10 minutes ago, misterNNL said:

Careful there,using a word like rolodex just might identity you as being of certain age:)

Haha I turned 29 this year... but I've just got an "old way" about me I guess.

Guess that comes from being raised by "old" folks and working with/around/for them my whole life.

Who needs the internet when you have a bunch of "old heads" to pull info from... walking encyclopedias let me tell ya.

One of my dearest friends was 89 (he is now passed on) but man I learned alot from him.

4 hours ago, LL3 Model Worx said:

Guess that comes from being raised by "old" folks and working with/around/for them my whole life.

Who needs the internet when you have a bunch of "old heads" to pull info from... walking encyclopedias let me tell ya.

One of my dearest friends was 89 (he is now passed on) but man I learned alot from him.

4 hours ago, LL3 Model Worx said:

I totally agree.If more young people would just shut up and listen to what some of today's senior citizens that just might learn something(like common sense).

1 minute ago, misterNNL said:

I totally agree.If more young people would just shut up and listen to what some of today's senior citizens that just might learn something(like common sense).

That'll be the the day... and unfortunately (not to be a cynic) I do not think that day is coming.

On a positive note, I hope to get some stuff up in the "on the bench" area here pretty soon. 

On 11/25/2019 at 10:52 AM, LL3 Model Worx said:

Welcome Bo!

And you soon will!  If indeed you treat people well and participate sincerely, there is nothing the folks on this board won't do for you! 

And if you haven't figured it out yet, many of us know each other a long time.  Some in person, some just on-line friends forever. For instance right in this thread I know Tom Woodruff and saw him about a month ago at the Toledo NNL.   Rich Manson and I have been friends for (gulp!) decades!  I now see him at least once a year.  While at Toledo I met a few guys I've known on-line for many years, we just hadn't met in person, but now we have!

So participate on the board.  Post your questions, ideas and opinions.  Become part of the community.  We're happy to have you!

18 minutes ago, Tom Geiger said:

Welcome Bo!

And you soon will!  If indeed you treat people well and participate sincerely, there is nothing the folks on this board won't do for you! 

And if you haven't figured it out yet, many of us know each other a long time.  Some in person, some just on-line friends forever. For instance right in this thread I know Tom Woodruff and saw him about a month ago at the Toledo NNL.   Rich Manson and I have been friends for (gulp!) decades!  I now see him at least once a year.  While at Toledo I met a few guys I've known on-line for many years, we just hadn't met in person, but now we have!

So participate on the board.  Post your questions, ideas and opinions.  Become part of the community.  We're happy to have you!

Thank you Tom. I plan to both absorb and contribute as much as possible here. That's why I said "sanctuary" as I have finally found some place where I can share my passion for modeling with others who care and share that same passion.

Its nice to have people to share with.

Hope to be here a long time, and hope I can make many new friends here.

And who knows maybe I can attend a show someday if I ever have the free time?

I do not think my builds are "show worthy" at this point, but I'm slowly working on it. 

Since my return to automotive modeling much has changed, so I've been trying new experiments and techniques on each build I've done since I've been back.

I'm gearing up now to try and produce  "show quality model"

17 minutes ago, LL3 Model Worx said:

And who knows maybe I can attend a show someday if I ever have the free time?

If you really want to dive in head first,  you are invited to attend NNL East in the spring.  Yea, it's in New Jersey but it's the best place to fully absorb everything in the hobby and meet everyone.  Check it out at the link in my signature!  

8 minutes ago, Tom Geiger said:

If you really want to dive in head first,  you are invited to attend NNL East in the spring.  Yea, it's in New Jersey but it's the best place to fully absorb everything in the hobby and meet everyone.  Check it out at the link in my signature!  

I would really love that, but sadly my job doesn't allow for travel or any off time really as I have no one to "fill in" 

I work 6 days a week on night shift... for no "benefits" and mediocre pay. But I love it. I've literally been the only reason we have remained in business for over 10yrs. It's both a burden and a real honor.

So finding time to just build is a challenge most of the time. Between work, the wife, the house, the pets...thankfully no kids (yet) so bench time is slim.

Edited by LL3 Model Worx

2 hours ago, Tom Geiger said:

That's a great way to see what's being built, talk to builders, find those "Holy Grail" kits, and aftermarket stuff to really dress one up!

There is also a NNL in Atlanta in the fall, every year. I didn't make it this year, but hope to go in 2020.

Welcome aboard Bo. You worked in a body shop I am sure you have plenty of good info to share. As the others have said if you need some information  just ask.  More than likely someone on here knows the answer, It might take a week as some of the members are not on every day. If you need a part there is a wanted section, and a trading section. 

1 hour ago, Bucky said:

Leroy, I notice your location says Tennessee. What part of the Volunteer state are you in?

I live in Lawrenceburg, Tn.

Thats awsome man.

I'm right at the base of the smoky mountain national park.

Blount County.

I'd love to go to shows... as a participant or even just a spectator! But sadly work will not really allow.

22 minutes ago, 1930fordpickup said:

Welcome aboard Bo. You worked in a body shop I am sure you have plenty of good info to share. As the others have said if you need some information  just ask.  More than likely someone on here knows the answer, It might take a week as some of the members are not on every day. If you need a part there is a wanted section, and a trading section. 

Thanks for the welcome, and yes I grew up with the 1:1's... I painted my first one at 9yrs old... a 1955 Willys CJ5... OD green (imagine that lol)

When it comes to 1:1 paint and body I'm pretty well versed... my dad was the original painter of the black Daytona Spyders used in Miami Vice. I grew up in his shop and worked there pretty regular most of my life.

We had 6 Sherwin Williams commercial paint mixing machines in our basement, so I spent most of my time mixing paints and trying to match colors for various customers and projects.

I took up modeling when I was around 8 and was fairly steady until around 15... then stopped for several years due to the 1:1.

When I came back to modeling I took up armor and figures, as i was pretty burned out on cars.

Now that I'm married, bought a house and am too occupied time and money wise to fool with the money pit 1:1s (still gottem) it's back to the small scales lol.

So I'm trying to learn all the modern "techniques" of car modeling... 

I'm progressing each and every build so that's good.

When I was young I would just shoot models with the big HVLP... results were fantastic. But that's honestly not very rewarding because it's too easy lol...

I like having to "work at it" then I feel I can be proud when its finally done.

Sorry for ramblin...

1 minute ago, 1930fordpickup said:

Do you know that here is a kit of that car? I have one if you want to do that for your father also. 

I did not know that. That is really awsome!

When dad told me he painted them (before I was born) I didn't believe him...

He found out that one of the originals was at the Ripley's museum in Gatlinburg, TN (right up the road) so he took me up there to show me his thumbprint under the right rear quarter panel... blew my mind!!!

He was only about 18 when he painted them, I think he did 4 for the show.

And what would you have to have for that kit? I think we aren't supposed to discuss sales, but I think it's ok in PM right?