Model Cars Magazine Forum

1970 Chevy Monte Carlo SS 454 (streetmachine)

Bills72sj

This Monte Carlo was built as a vague recreation of the copper Monte Carlo my dad had when I was a teenager. (Oh the stories that back seat could tell, LOL!)

Anyway, this was an open, pre-painted kit I got on ebay. I didn’t like the purple, so I repainted it metallic copper. I usually build my models with the factory “High Performance” option which usually includes a special hood. Unfortunately, Monte Carlos were never offered from the factory with any hood other than flat. However, I learned that PSF Hobbies offers a custom 70 Chevelle Cowl Induction hood for this kit, so I got it. During the build, I had progressed about a third of the way through before discovering that the suspension pieces were missing. Fortunately, members of the DMPCC came through and gave me the missing parts I needed. The kit is surprisingly detailed for an AMT offering. It has details such as separate control arms for the 4-link rear and a complete multi-piece A/C system in the engine compartment. I also added chrome valve covers and air cleaner from my parts box. The gage faces have been decaled from a Keith Marks decal set.

DSCF0076.JPG

DSCF0046.JPG

DSCF0020.JPG

DSCF0047.JPG

DSCF0078.JPG

DSCF0081.JPG

That's a great looking Monte Carlo! You did a nice job with it. I have one all primed and ready to paint when I got my winter painting done in September, but I changed my mind on the color. I still can't think of a color, but do intend to do a vinyl top on it for my first attempt at one.

10 hours ago, Dragonhawk1066 said:

That's a great looking Monte Carlo! You did a nice job with it. I have one all primed and ready to paint when I got my winter painting done in September, but I changed my mind on the color. I still can't think of a color, but do intend to do a vinyl top on it for my first attempt at one.

Here is a detailed body I did for a slot car racer friend.

DSCF0084.JPG