Model Cars Magazine Forum

Foose ‘65 impala question

7 minutes ago, Force said:

Yes, the Foose version is essentially the 1:25th scale 65 Impala issued under both the Revell and Monogram name originally issued 1996.

May I ask what differences there are between the original RM kit and the Foose kit specifically and can the Foose kit be built in stock configuration?

8 minutes ago, impcon said:

May I ask what differences there are between the original RM kit and the Foose kit specifically and can the Foose kit be built in stock configuration?

Foose kit has the wheels he designed for the Overhaulin version (although that was a small block), decals, and some dress up stuff.  I'd have to dig mine out to see if the stock components are still in the kit

23 minutes ago, Force said:

Yes, the Foose version is essentially the 1:25th scale 65 Impala issued under both the Revell and Monogram name originally issued 1996.

Thank you. It seems they are going for decent prices online. I just might pick up one for myself. 

6 minutes ago, Brutalform said:

Thank you. It seems they are going for decent prices online. I just might pick up one for myself. 

Not long ago I got one at Hobby Lobby with 40% off specifically to cut the wheel openings out of it and graft into an AMT '66 Impala dirt tracker body. 

I’d like to get one to build, since I have the Monogram kit sealed, in excellent condition. I have a few kits, (not many) that I just want to hang on to. 
I would definitely want mine to be a 409 though. I have a few of those engines in my parts bins. 
Im thinking a maroon exterior with a black interior. An old friend had one like that, and besides the fender skirts it had on it, it was a perfect looking car. I don’t have a thing against fender skirts, but not on a 65 Impala. 

If you can find a Monogram or Revell '65 convertible kit, it will have the 409 engine and associated components that differ from the 396 pieces.  Swap the parts between the two kits, and you'll have a 409 hardtop and a 396 convertible.

I just pulled out my Foose Impala kit.  The stock components are there.  One exception.  The provided engine is a 396 BB with single 4 bbl.  The decal sheets include script for a 409.  So, you would either have to source a 409 for the engine bay (Monogram 65 Impala included one) or 396 script.  The interesting thing is that the Impala Overhauled is a Small Block.

As said earlier, the Convertible is the only one of the Revell-Monogram 1965 Impalas with the 409, the Coupe has allways had the 396, so Revell only took what they allready had and added some new wheels and decals to it and tool up a new small block to fit in the engine bay and chassis was probably not feasible within the budget.
1965 was also the last year for the 409 by the way.

10 minutes ago, Force said:

As said earlier, the Convertible is the only one of the Revell-Monogram 1965 Impalas with the 409, the Coupe has allways had the 396, so Revell only took what they allready had and added some new wheels and decals to it and tool up a new small block to fit in the engine bay and chassis was probably not feasible within the budget.
1965 was also the last year for the 409 by the way.

409 replaced approximately mid-year by the 396.  My Dad bought an Impala SS coupe, but with the 327 - 300 hp engine (and Powerglide tranny ☹️

It’s funny that I’m thinking how off track we modelers get. I remember having a goal of building all the Impalas available in kit form. I have a 61, 62, 63, 64, and 66 built, but this is where I stopped. I’m not too worried about the high priced 68, or 69. I’ve had a 65, and 67 in my stash forever, but they just sat there sealed. 
Maybe I’ll grab one of these Foose kits and finally get my last couple of Impalas started and finished. 

On 1/1/2020 at 2:24 PM, Mark said:

If you can find a Monogram or Revell '65 convertible kit, it will have the 409 engine and associated components that differ from the 396 pieces.  Swap the parts between the two kits, and you'll have a 409 hardtop and a 396 convertible.

I dont have either version , I think about buying one of these kits as  I would like the pieces to make a 396 convertible. Just never put forth the effort ( $$$$$ ) to make it happen

59 minutes ago, Force said:

Whaaat...the 58 is my favourite. :o;):P
My other favourite Impala years are 61-65.

Haha..I meant that I’m not interested in the KIT. The car itself is a pretty cool big ole boat. 
I’d probably grab the kit if it was available without opening doors. 
Are there any kits molded without the opening doors?