Model Cars Magazine Forum

Aoshima Aventador LP720-4 50th

Timonator

Geez Tim - that looks amazing! I have an Aoshima LP-700 lined up (going for candy green) and was planning black mirrors too. Now I'm definitely having black mirrors!! Nearly there, keep it up ?

Edited by Pete75

5 hours ago, beeRS said:

Fantastic job on those brake discs. Looks so realistic. 

What paint did you use for the body?

I used zero paints. I had to strip it down and redo it. Zero paints are very hot and the tamiya peimer didn't provide enough barrier. Plasti cote fillee primer works. It is a 3 stage lamborghini color.

4 hours ago, 89AKurt said:

I missed the beginning chapters.  Looking really good!  What was your trick on the brake disks?  I did it too, just wanted to see your method.

I used 5 minute epoxy to glue the discs together.  I  set the assembled disc on top of my dremel with no collet and ran it at a low speed and while it was spinning lightly touched it with 220 grit sandpaper.

1 hour ago, Timonator said:

I used zero paints. I had to strip it down and redo it. Zero paints are very hot and the tamiya peimer didn't provide enough barrier. Plasti cote fillee primer works. It is a 3 stage lamborghini color.

This is the truth if there ever was, lol. I had the same mishap on my Evo 6 TME project. First time using Zero Paints, and it was horrible.

Great looking build so far, the more I see these, the more I want to build one as well. Keep up the great work!

Edited by lghtngyello03

It looks great! Good job... as an aside, I’ve never had any issues with Zero over Tamiya primer. If you spray light coats, the colour builds up. Zero basecoats aren’t meant to be sprayed heavily, still less in wet coats. For a regular colour, I do probably 3 coats, with 10 minutes between; for multilayer, I do a couple of coats of each one. One thing I have learned is to keep all the coloured parts (eg doors, bonnet and body shell) together while spraying them, so they all end up with the same density of each layer. In the ones where you have a coloured glaze over a metallic base coat, the final appearance is critically dependent on getting the same depth of colour on the glaze everywhere...

best,

M.

4 hours ago, Timonator said:

I used 5 minute epoxy to glue the discs together.  I  set the assembled disc on top of my dremel with no collet and ran it at a low speed and while it was spinning lightly touched it with 220 grit sandpaper.

Came out really well!  I went to the effort to make an arbor, how did you attach to the Dremel?  Please post on my Photo-etch disk brake turning topic too. ?

IMG_0218_Fotor.jpg